1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Selling OMD-EM5 for EM-1 or GX7

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Akashi, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    I want a better grip, not so fiddly buttons and dials and better AF tracking. Considering a use EM-1 or a new GX7 (I know about IBIS not in panasonic). Does anyone know if AF tracking in GX7 is good compared to EM-1 (Which I believe is way better than EM-5).

Thanks for opinions on this.

2. TucsonLawrence

TucsonLawrence Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson
    Lawrence Richards
  3. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
  4. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    If possible try to see how the two cameras fit your hands. I enjoy my GX7 very much and find the ergonomics to be just about right for me. I looked at the EM-1 and noted two things. I could not see the corners of the EVF display when wearing my glasses (the same problem I have with my GH3) and it felt slightly awkward in my hands. The GX7 feels just right in my hands with the controls all being well placed. The display of the EVF is totally visible (all four corners can be seen) when wearing my glasses. The GX7 IBIS works well enough for me and allows me to use all of my adapted lenses without problem. The EM-1 is a fine camera, but it wasn't a good fit for me. No offense to any EM-1 users, the IQ of the newest generation of u4/3 bodies is very close. The price for a new GX7 body is currently about 1/3 the price of the EM-1. Good luck on your choice. Both are great cameras.

Mike

5. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Thank you so much for your input. My problem is that nobody around my place sells these cameras, so I have to buy before I try :( I did hold a Gx7 in my hand a few weeks ago, and I do not remember that I noticed the grip (which is a good thing). The EM5 grip is fine with the external grip mounted but every time I put it in my bag, the dials change, or the eyecup falls off :( Not happy with that at all! I haven´t tried the VF on either models and I do wear glasses, hmm... How do you find C-AF on the Gx7?

6. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    One thing to consider is that do you want to adapt to new UI? I was almost to get a GM1 but decided to get E-PM1 as my pocket camera. One of the reasons was familiar menu layout and handling. I'm not saying Panasonic menus are worse than Olympus', it's just one more thing to adapt to.

By the way, how was your trip to South Africa?

7. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    At the moment I use the E-M5 and the GM1 and never had any problem with the different menu systems. The GM1 is a totally different camera and needs a different handling, therefore one has to adapt to a different camera anyway. The most difficult thing is not to touch the screen accidentally, which moves the focus point to an unwanted position. This is tremendously more annoying than the different menu systems.

8. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Thanks to your rubber-thingy (thanks again :) ) I brought my camera and took this (among others). Cape_Town.

• Like Like x 1
  9. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I rarely use C-AF. Most of the time I use manual focus. The focus peaking and magnification on the GX7 work very well.

Mike

10. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I added a GX7 to my E-M5, and later traded the E-M5 for an E-M1. I can honestly say I never choose one or the other for IQ. I'll make the choice based on features: weatherproofing, IBIS for non-stabilized lenses, tripod (I have an L-plate fixed on the M1), weight (go GX7), shooting grandkids (live the swiveling EVF), etc. I've also shot parties using both bodies. So it's had to go really wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Would you say the E-M1 has the better C-AF and is it really that much better than the C-AF on EM-5? If the C-AF are not that great on EM-1, I rather stay with my em5

12. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I hardly ever (as in: never) shoot C-AF. I only use S-AF, single point. I do use back-button focusing (eg AF-ON) on the AEL/AFL Button; this is significantly easier to use than any button choice on the E-M5.

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the differences are mostly in the ergonomics and UI, and not so much in the functionality (with the exception of the larger EVF and PDAF). But it's just a guess. And it's what drove me to change. If you're happy with the handling, it's probably not worth spending all that money. For me, I'm very satisfied with my decision to upgrade. And I'm equally satisfied by my decision to add the GX7.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I have larger than nl hands, and didn't like the feel of the E-M5 at first, but have adapted to it and now it feels "normal". I've always liked rangefinder-design cameras and thought the GX-7 would be nifty at recent sale prices. But in the end, I'm sticking with the E-M5 since I am so familiar with and do like its feel.

14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I have had an E-M5 for almost 2 years and ran an E-M1 for a few months this summer. IMHO, tracking AF is no better in any practical sense on the E-M1 compared to the E-M5. C-AF is slightly better (E-M1 has some additional settings controlling when it re-acquires focus if the subject moves), but it's still pretty useless! If AF on moving subjects is important for you, you'll need to look at DSLRs with PDAF.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Thanks for the replies. I am not going DSLR (again) so I guess tracking is out for now :) My main complaints with the EM5 are that is is fragile (loosing eyecups etc) and that I always accidentally turn the wheels or push some button (usually the focus select) while the camera is in my bag or similar. I never turn it off (a habit I got with my DSLR) so I guess it is my own fault. If the buttons where better secured on an EM-1, I´ll look into that for sure. Yesterday I was one push away from accidentally formating my SD card! :O

GX7 feels more sideways than upgrade and I am sure it has it woes as well. Looking at Fuji as well, but I would hate to give up my m43 lenses. Perhaps I need to hold out and see if a new EM5 is coming soon? I think the feeling I have for my EM5 is that I love the picstures but hate to operate it.

16. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    If your case I would suggest looking at the E-M1. I had the E-M5 for about 4 months before upgrading to the E-M1 last year and I just rebought into the camera at $1199 for a 14 month old camera. It's that good.

The GX7 is a great camera in it's own right, the reasons that I didn't keep mine is that I wasn't a big fan of the grip. It's nice to have, but it's not pronounced and deep and secure like the E-M1. I prefer a deep grip from shooting DSLRs for many years, having the secure feeling of being able to carry the camera in one hand. It balances much better with larger glass, the 12-35 felt a little front heavy on the GX7, so larger glass will benefit from the E-M1.

Neither have great tracking but of the two, I would say the E-M1 is the better of the two. In my experience the best tracking m4/3 body is the GH4, so maybe they'll incorporate the DFD technology in a GX8. But seeing as you has the 12-40 2.8 the E-M1 will be the better choice because of the IBIS. And the 75 1.8 will be easier to use on the E-M1 again because of the IBIS. I'm able to handhold the 75 1.8 down to really slow shutter speeds.

The buttons are that much better on the E-M1 as opposed to the E-M5. I hated the spongy feel that the E-M5 had. My only gripe body wise with the E-M1 is the placement of the on/off button, which isn't a big deal. I added a RRS L-plate to give my pinky some real estate to hold onto. For me I like having my entire hand on the camera, which is one of the reasons why I'm not really feeling a sense of attachment to the a7ii, which is another fantastic camera but ergonomically it doesn't fit my hand.

17. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Coming from an EM5, the EM1 is the logical choice. It feels better in the hand than the EM5(not that the EM5 is bad, but if you have the HLD-6 grip, the EM1 is very similar).

I tried using a GX7 and did not like how it felt in my hand and was put off by the viewfinder layout.

Definitely try before buying.

18. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    For those that may be interested, I went with the EM-1. I got a second hand one so the price was fair and I chose the Olympus over Panasonic because I am looking into the 40-150 f2.8 pro and the upcoming 300 f4 (no stabilisation). Thank you for all the contributions to my thread.

19. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Wait to see if there is a E-M1 II released at Photokina this September.

20. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway

Too late :) Oh well, I doubt it will be available for the price I paid (second hand).