1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Selling my Oly E-M5 for Panasonic GM1 i'm I CRAZY?!

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by teknov, Mar 9, 2014.

1. teknov

teknov Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2013
    Ever since the announcement of the Panasonic GM1 i have been very interested in this camera.The main things the caught my eye are:

-the size
    -M4/3 sensor
    -color (orange)
    -focus peaking
    -wireless capabilities

The size of the camera is the top of the list because, i would love to have a camera on my at all times. When with friends,or at events or just doing random things. I want to be able to capture the moments on a good camera instead of a camera on a phone.

Now,i do have the Oly E-M5 and i LOVE this camera I have taken great shots with this camera but, i find i don't use the camera as much do to it's size (even though it's small) i can't really pocket this camera. Which in turn i do miss moments that i wish i have had a camera. On the flip side i love this camera for these reasons:

-Weather Sealed
    -EVF
    -Tilt screen
    -2 physical dials
    -5 axis IS

Now i have been reading allot of reviews and doing allot of research on the GM1 and allot of the feedback has been solid but, there are some sacrifices that are being made if i do switch to this camera:

-No EVF
    -No hot-shoe
    -No IBIS (O.I.S lens would make up for it)
    -No Tilt screen
    -Battery life (aftermarket batteries would solve this)
    -Slow mechanical

But,before i had the Oly E-M5 i had the E-PM2 and i was used to the controls on that.

So, with all those sacrifices to have a camera with me at all times would be a blessing even though a chunk of stuff i love isn't on the GM1,all i know is i won't be missing those moments and be rest assured that i would be getting great images. If i had a choice to keep both i would but, i can't afford to. There was a time without these advancements and people took awesome pictures. I just have to work a little harder to take pictures but, whatever i like the challenges and that to me is fun lol

Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Ashton

PS:Any idea on how much a Oly E-M5 would go for? Thanks

2. markdaunt

markdaunt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2012
    Thought the same as you. Sold my EM-5 and now loving the GM1 that is with me all the time.

3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Are you sure that a smaller m4/3 camera would be the best solution for you, rather than adding an enthusiast P&S? Something like the lx7? Gives you the small package, and still able to get all the benefits of the em5 when you need it. Not saying you are crazy, just trying to point out the flip side of the coin.

4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Go for it. What good is a great camera if it doesn't suit your purposes ? Sounds like the little Gm1 is just the ticket for you .

5. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    ISO performance is about 30% worse.

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Will you limit yourself to pocketable lenses? The larger lenses will be more awkward on the GM1.

7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Nothing is crazy if it fits your wants/needs. What is crazy is that you will lose money moving from the E-M5 to the GM1. Maybe the used market will settle down and we'll a little less supply of the E-M5, but anymore it seems folks expect to be paying less than $500.

8. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    +1. I think it would work as a secondary m43 system camera for me, but the lack of available EVF and better controls would preclude it as a primary body. It is a very tempting camera, but for the price, I would probably invest in a second GX7 body.

9. darrellc

darrellc Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    I have a gm1 but also em1 and gh3. A gm1 makes a lot of sense instead of an RX100 if you have an m43 setup that includes the small primes. I wouldn't be happy with a gm1 as my sole camera. The em5 isn't really that big. But you had the epm so u know what it would be like to live with just the one gm1 body, right?

Maybe u should find a used rx100 v1 for cheap.

Whatever u decide, the gm1 is really, really fun to use!

10. darrellc

darrellc Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    What lenses do u have?

11. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    They say it has the same IQ as GX-7 and that's pretty close to E-M5?

12. teknov

teknov Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2013
    Thanks for the feed back!What am going to do is use my Panny 20mm on the GM1 and that's it! honestly, I only use the 20mm and nothing else really. I do have my Oly 45mm but, that lens has been barley used and thinking of selling it also, i am going to try the kit lens from what i have seen and read that this kit lens is great but, most likely i might sell the kit lens as well. I essentially just wanted the body but, if i sell these two lens i should be fine. I might be able to keep the body. The thing is if i really use the GM1 the way i plan to and it works out, then i know for a fact that the OM-D will collect dust and i think selling the Body would be better. I did see some post that you would get about $500 for the body which is kind of a bummer so i might wait till the summer and try selling the body if, it goes according to plan.

13. teknov

teknov Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2013
    I shoot 95% of the time with the 20mm i just love that lens.

14. teknov

teknov Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2013
    Just two Panny 20mm and Oly 45mm i am waiting to see if the new 15mm 1.7 comes out from panasonic and i might get the 60mm from sigma.

15. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Since you had the EPM2 and didn't take that everywhere (especially with a 20mm or other pancake) I'd lean towards a pocketable p&s like others suggested. I don't consider ANY m43 camera + any pancake really 'pocketable'. Winter jacket pocket maybe and not really any type of pants with any level of reason (is that a camera in your pocket or are you happy to see me?). I have the same goals as you and have an RX100 as a second camera and I find it handles 90% of my epm2 + prime can do (albiet not as shallow dof) with the added bonus of VERY good video (smaller sensor advantage here not ever focus hunting with broad dof). It's actually my main video camera with my only main complaint is it's a bit soft at f1.8 (I usually shoot it at f2). Also indoors I basically shoot it like a prime (gets dark fast zooming).

I used to have an LX7 and find the RX100 handles high ISO better for pix and video not to mention I can fit the rx100 in my jeans pocket and not notice it's there where the LX7 was a bit too big for jeans for me.

16. katiedaddy

katiedaddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2014
    MD, USA
    Why not? I have three Olympus bodies (EM5, EP5, and EPM2) and I use EPM2 the most since it's the most pocketable out of the three.

17. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I second RX100 choice. Brilliant camera, sharp output, great video, unlimited flash sync, jeans pocketable, great AWB and jpeg color., etc. Due to sharp lens, it has higher true resolution than any current m43 cam. GM1 will not be pocketable with any lens attached, it's a deceptive camera albeit a great marketing tool for m43 as a system.

18. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011

No, the GM1 is a bit worse. When they shrunk the electronics package, compromises had to be made and it's not the same IQ as the GX7.

19. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    A GM1 body is a little smaller than an RX100, but it all comes down to what lens you add to the GM1. If you want to keep options open to add additional lenses the GM1 is the only real option, but I guess it you're just using one lens the RX100 might make more sense.

That's assuming you won't miss the EVF or IBIS from the EM5? I'm not sure how much the slow mechanical shutter and flash sync speed would alter things for you either?

20. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    I recently had a similar dilemma; although I did not consider a smaller size camera as a replacement to my E-M1, but rather an addition. Since I already have many m4/3 lenses, I was also leaning towards GM1 for the same reasons as you (except maybe color). But at the end, I went with Sony RX100 instead. GM1 is very small, but you put a lens on it and it becomes barely pocketable. Yes, you can put a small prime on it - like 20mm or 14mm and it is still small - but then you limit yourself in terms of working focal length. RX100 made more sense to me since it is pocketable, has 28 - 100mm focal length when needed and is f1.8 on the 28mm end (f2.8 at 35mm and gets slower after), has great image and video quality and control, and flash can be ceiling bounced like GM1.

By the way, this is a nice video comparison between GM1 and RX100 II which is very similar to RX100: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk8n-V1Afhw