Selling lens regrets.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by microfourthirdsnut, Jan 19, 2013.

1. microfourthirdsnut

microfourthirdsnut Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2012
    So how many of you have sold lenses only to loose your butt and then go and buy the same lens over?
    I have started to down size to make life easier there is a thread about one lens and it got me thinking. I am down to three 7-14mm, 12-35mm and 100-300mm
    I got both the 7-14mm and 12-35mm because I went to Disney and after coming back wished I had a super wide so got the 7-14mm and the 12-35mm. Now the 7-14mm it sits waiting to get used in a pelican case, sell it or keep it, having one heck of a hard time deciding..
    Any thoughts?
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    An UWA is very useful in travel, but, like me, you might find you never use it any other time. Every summer or before vacations I buy a used UWA zoom, then sell it at the end of the summer. It's just the way it is for me. Maybe you're similar in needs.
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Regrets, I've had a few . . .:rolleyes: Never actually bought the lens again. The closest I came was the 20 1.7.
  4. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Im still feeling free with my one lens. Sell sell sell :) / onelensonly
  5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Of the many Minolta lenses I've sold I only regret selling the Rokkor 20/2.8. I'm looking to get another one, also because it would double as a moderate wide-angle on my NEX-6.
  6. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    With older lenses, there appears to be a lot of copy-to-copy variation, so when I have a really good one I'm very reluctant to part with it.
  7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Regret? No, I wouldn't say I have many that I regret selling. Maybe the PL45 but I had gotten out of m43 entirely at that point so I didn't need any m43 lens and wasn't sure if and when I would get another m43 body (I did after a while). I have had a few instances where I sold a lens and then re-bought it thinking I had made a terrible error only to realize after I re-bought it why I sold the lens in the first place. For me the O45/1.8 comes to mind.

That was the lens I finally replaced with the PL45/2.8 that suited my needs a lot better.
  8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    It happens, but more often than not, by the time I've unloaded a lens I'm pretty sick of it for one or another reason.

The only lens I sold and really regretted afterwards was the Olympus ZD 12-60. I'm on my third one. It's a pig to use, it has a seriously annoying design flaw and autofocus is slow and occasionally wildly inaccurate (both on 4/3 and m4/3) but it still beats any other lens I've tried for range and sharpness...
  9. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I sold a great Voigtlander 40mm SL 2.0 which I really regret.
  10. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Can't feel the regret. Though I always traded up and not down.

I also make sure I've got something similar in the focal length before I unload something like a 7-14. If 12 is wide enough, go for it.
  11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Epson R-D1
    Tri-Elmar 28-35-50
    Panasonic 14mm

I'm having a tough time building savings for a purchase I've been eyeing for quite a long time now.... A sale of a couple things would get me there but I'm afraid that I'd end up regretting it.

Surprisingly, I don't regret selling my Canon 1dmarkII, 5D, and a bag full of high quality EF /EFL lenses. I really thought I would at some point in time.
  12. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nope... I sold the Tri-Elmar and Epson R-D1. I regret it... even though I sold each for more than I purchased them. I sold those two plus 2 Canon DSLR bodies, 1 Canon EOS Film body and 8 lenses in a single time frame.

I'm trying (for over 6 months now) to save for a 35mm Summilux. I was close but life has its priorities. In my case, baby twins. I have enough cash for the RX1 and I am tempted. Its the same focal length I am looking for and the quality is up there.... but in the end I'd rather have the Summilux.
  13. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    I do have some pangs selling off my 75-300 and 7-14 (the 75-300 more than the 7-14). The 7-14 is a great vacation lens. But since you have the 12-35, you should be ready to deal with most archi and landscape shots. Who knows, maybe by the time you miss the 7-14, Olympus would've already announced a UWA prime. :p I know, wishful thinking.
  14. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I have rarely purchased a lens again after selling it because I only sell lenses if I'm pretty sure I won't use it enough and the money I get from selling it will let me buy something I want/need.

I have sold a couple of lenses for the 4/3 DSLR mount that I miss, but I don't think I'll ever purchase them again ... even if the fabled E-7 arrives.

I did get back into using Nikon DSLRs last year and picked up a couple of Nikon lenses that I sold back when I abandoned Nikon for 4/3 and m4/3. So in situations like that I can understand repurchasing a lens.
  15. Salt Peanuts

Salt Peanuts Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2012
    I've never bought same lens again as every time I sold my favorite lens(es), it was because I was changing the system. I do really miss Canon 35L and Nikon 105DC, though.
  16. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    I need at least a 9mm (8.5mm would be better) f/2. :) I fear a 10.5/2 would be too close to my current 12/2. :p