1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Selling GH4 and all lenses; should I sell individually or altogether?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by eBrain, Jul 16, 2016.

1. eBrain

eBrain New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2014
    Hello.

I am heavily invested in M43 ecosystem but desired DOF and low light photography has finally pushed me to go for a different format altogether.

Working on selling my gear now but not sure how to "bundle" things for best returns on a famous auction website. Any bundling suggestions based on following items is greatly appreciated:
    • GH4 body
    • Panasonic Lumix G Vario 12-35mm F2.8 Lens
    • Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F2.8 Lens
    • Panasonic Leica Summilux 25mm F1.4 Prime
    • Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm f/4-5.6 Lens
    • Rokinon 85mm T1.5 Cine Lens
    • Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Lens
    • Panasonic DMW-MS2 Shotgun Microphone for GH4
    • 2 Extra batteries for GH4, some 128GB memory cards, bunch of different types of filters (ND, IR, Color, etc)
    Plus bunch of legacy glass M42 mounts without speedbooster including but not limited to:
    • Panagor 28mm F2.8
    • Panagor 28mm F2.5
    • Sears 135mm F2.8
    • Minolta 50mm F2
    • Minolta Rokker-X 50mm F1.7
    • Ricoh Auto Rikenon 55m F1.4
    • SMC Takumar 55mm F2.0
    • Some Russian Jupiter Lenses, some zoom and macro lenses, etc.

Also have old Panasonic G5 body with 14-42mm Kit and 45-200mm lens catching dust for couple of years with extra sets of batteries etc ... Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  2. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Bundles always seem to go for slightly less, for maximum profit sell individually.

Someone may want a body but not a lens, selling separately gives more flexibility.

Get the photos ready, then wait until eBay have a final value discount and list them all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    People sell in bundles in order to entice buyers with a more for less $ offer. Selling bundles for equal $ isn't likely to sell unless your selling something in which demand outstrips supply. Not very common.

Bundles also require buyers to pay more for an initial purchase which reduces your potential customers. Bundles also offer your choices to others who may not want those same combinations, so again you may be limiting your audience.

That boils down to bundles work best when they offer buyers more for less.

4. wilvoeka

wilvoeka Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    I agree with what has already been said, that large of a bundle will be very hard to sell. I came to this thread because I thought it was a listing of gear actually for sale. I wanted see how much you were offering the GH4 at. The lenses you list dont fit my needs so I wouldn't be interested in a bundle.

I would list everything for sale here with a price for each item and then add that if some were to take the entire bundle you would offer some sort of substantial discount.

5. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    There are a lot more people looking for those items individually than there are people looking for all of those items together.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Individually. It's plain logic - unless you need the cash quickly in which case you'll need to accept a bargain price for the bundle.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    You might want to "re-evaluate" this before "dumping" this stuff. I assume you mean "shallow" DOF or "selective focus" here, the DG Summilux 25mm f1.4, Rokinon 85mm T1.5, and some of those "legacy" lenses should be able to deliver shallow DOF images with the "zone of acceptable focus" almost razor thin if distance is managed properly. The benefit of going with a full frame sensor format does not offer that much narrower zone to offset a drastic system change.

I have the 25mm f1.4, the Panasonic 42.5mm f1.7, Oly 75mm f1.8 and find I can get anything I want in the way of shallow DOF. It just takes knowing your optics, what their characteristics are, and proper management of lighting and working distances (including subject to background elements distances.

For the most part, those same lenses help me a lot with low light work. Now the Sony a6300 and A7IIs do offer substantial benefit in low light work but you could be dismayed at how rapidly color information is lost when light levels drop. What I'd try first before "dumping" the GH4 kit might be to obtain one of those Sony's and adapt some of your legacy glass while you "try" it out.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    People always brag about the deals they get buying bundles, so it stands to reason that the seller is the one on the wrong end of that deal.

If you have the time and patience, selling individually will always get you more money. It just depends on whether you actually care about recouping your investment, or just want to get over the selling process and get your new kit faster.

9. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    As mentioned above, why not use the Buy & Sell section here, at least initially. It is free and you have a well targeted audience for your stuff?

As also mentioned, list everything individually and then offer up discounts or free shipping or something if someone buys more than one item. Or offer things individually and also priced bundles (e.g. GH4 Body for $xxx, shotgun microphone for $xxx, but if you buy them together then $xxx which would be something less than your individual prices). The nice thing about listing here is you can list a bundle price, but as individual things sell, you can simply adjust the bundle price accordingly for what is left. Can't do that on that "e" site.