Selling E-PM1 for GM1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Vivalo, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Hi all

I have been looking for smaller alternative for my trusty old E-P1 as a second body. My primary camera is and will be E-M5 with HLD-6 grip. Late last year I got 1 month old E-PM1, with 23 months warranty still left. I paid 90 euros for that. It was just too good a deal to pass.

There are a lot of things to like about the E-PM1. It is small enough, actually I don't want any smaller camera. It is good looking and, to me at least, it feels well built. I like the Oly 12mp output on low ISO levels (100-800) but ISO 3200 is horrible, honestly. It's about the same as ISO6400 on new 16mp sensors. I like IBIS, it's as good as the one on E-P1. Very useful with prime lenses in low light. E-PM1 is compatible with the same batteries as my E-P1, so no need to buy new batteries. The UI is also very familiar. I have used only Olympus DSLR and MILC cameras since 2009, so there was almost nothing new to learn in that. Only new thing was that MENU button brings first the Mode dial functions and from there you select PASM, iAuto, Scenes etc or the main menu. So it's usually two button presses more before you are in the settings menu.

I got pretty excited about the rumours of E-M5 mk2. Ok, it will be announced tomorrow and we don't know any facts yet. But if the better video codec and electronic shutter will be true, it would be a great upgrade for me. Also Wifi connectivity and focus peaking are things that I would appreciate.

But so it happened that two weeks ago I was driving on holiday trip and missed a 60km/h speed limit sign and kept driving 84km/h on to an automatic surveillance camera. A week later I got a fine of over 600 euros for doing so. That lowered my GAS pretty well.

Yesterday morning I thought I was all set for this year, since I am not willing to upgrade my OM-D after paying the speeding ticket. But as usual the best deals come when you least expect/want them. There it was, e-mail from the largest camera retailer in Finland, the Rajala camera. The deal of the month for Rajala club members: Panasonic GM1 in all colors with 12-32mm kit zoom only 299 euros. For reference E-PL7 with normal 14-42 is 499 eur and GM5 with 12-32 is 699 eur.

So here I am, a fragile human being following its instincts. I made the order for the GM1 without a care of tomorrow. I did sell my second FL-36R flash for 110 eur the same day on Finnish camera forum. I paid for that 140 eur 4,5 years ago, so I think it held its value pretty well. I have already put the E-PM1 for sale. It has 1,5 years warranty left so I think it will be pretty easy to sell forward.

I am really looking forward to the GM1. In many ways it is even better than my E-M5. It has the latest gen sensor, good video output, electronic shutter, wifi remote control and file transfer. Against E-PM1 it has better quality screen and touch support. It also has direct control for manual focus, because I like to lock auto focus from time to time, not that I'm using manual focus that often. It has a proper mode dial too.

I'm still unsure which one will have to go: 12-32mm or 9-18mm. I'm planning to use 14mm f/2.5 most of the time.

Just my story...comments welcome.

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    If I ever get to Scandinavia, I'm going to drive slow. I wasn't paying attention to where I parked in downtown Chicago a few years ago, and had my car towed away. That cost me $600 USD or 525 €

Looks like a nice price for the GM1. A year ago, people were paying two/thirds of that just for the 12-32 zoom. SInce you already have the 14mm to stay small, I would think the 9-18 zoom has more utility for your collection.

3. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    Great price. I'm loving my pair.

Personally I'd strongly recommend the Panasonic grip (you can pick them up used for a slightly more reasonable price than the ridiculous new price).

The control dial on the back is a bit fiddly, but I found the touchscreen controls so intuitive and well laid out that I largely use them.

The 12-32 is a very decent kit zoom, but mine's not had much use as I prefer primes.

Enjoy.

4. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I'm still not sure about the 9-18. On the other hand it's a nice range of focal lengths, but at the same time I just don't get along with the slow aperture and the soft corners. I know the cure to the softness is to stop it down, but then it is even slower. I must be spoiled by the Oly 12-40mm f/2.8. But I think I will try to sell the Panny 12-32 for 190 eur. If that doesn't sell, I will re-think this "issue". ;)

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Indeed. Excellent deal.
    That camera is TINY and the e-pM1 has that irritating narrow screen and extra menu button press,
    and you get the trick pancake with 12mm wide end.

6. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Sounds like a good swap and a great deal on the GM1! You will also be able to sell the E-PM1 for a lot of what you paid, nice!

Can I ask what country you got a €600 ticket for being 24km/h over the limit?!

7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I got the ticket here from Finland. The amount of fine depends on your income when the speeding is 20km/h over the limit. I have quite average income. But there is a case for example of a person who's income were 500000 eur a month and for the same kind of speeding (22km/h) he got a 112000 eur fine. This is how we support our society.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Wow, that's harsh! In a way it makes sense I guess, sorry to hear you're down so much though!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43