1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Selling e-p3 question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gnod, May 15, 2012.

1. gnod

gnod Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    NYC
    so... i thought i was offering a decent deal, granted i don't have feedbacks here, i wanted to ask for general opinion.

i have a 4.27 purchase date, like-new silver olympus e-p3 with the kit lens & 3 year warranty from bhphoto. is my asking price of $800 and now $750 too far fetched considering brand new is $799.99 plus tax without the additional 3 year warranty?

i purchased from my friend thinking it was risk free since it was such a good deal because of the newness of the camera + warranty. i wasn't sure if i wanted the om-d back then and i'm slightly regretting buying it. i do love this camera but there's something soulful about having the right 'fit' with your camera. this is not the right fit for me :(

THIS IS NOT A SALES THREAD.
    i wanted general opinion to help me move my goods faster to fund om-d.

thanks!

2. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    I think it is a little pricey. I think Cameta has a refurbished E-p3 and kit lens for 580. I am sure you could have gotten your asking price three months ago, but now that the E-M5 is shipping, it is tough market for E-P3s. I love my E-P3, and I am going to hold onto it for a while.

3. gnod

gnod Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    NYC
    hmm.. yea i figured that would play into it a bit.
    :/

guess ill be losing out a bit if i really want to move it.

4. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    that does seem pricy to me.... btw, is the bh warranty transferrable?

5. gnod

gnod Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    NYC
    i'll have to check but i'm sure it is..

6. pixl10

pixl10 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    The warranty does not hold a lot of value as the majority don't seem to hold on to their MFT cameras for long periods. There is a new one every 6-8 months, so they sell and move on.

7. gnod

gnod Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    NYC
    :(

guess i missed that. haha stinks!

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    If you bought it from a friend, you should work together to return it, IMO. Sorry, but I think you overpaid. I'd get the money back from the retailer, unless there's an issue (like the boxes were thrown away or something).

9. gnod

gnod Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    NYC
    probably too late now. he threw out the box... sigh
    besides he wanted to keep the other lens that came with it. i don't know how exactly the price worked out but i'm pretty sure he took a hit also.

10. s2kinfinite

s2kinfinite Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2012
    Look on the bright side EP3 is not a bad camera...

• Like Like x 1
  11. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Frankly, the OM-D really hit the E-P3 market hard..lots of people were offloading them to pay for the newest, greatest toy. They've been selling for 500-650$ in good condition, admittedly without warranty. And the original MSRP was probably too high in the first place. Might be better off just enjoying it as a fine camera.

12. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    If you didn't do so already, you might want to browse the Buy/Sell forum to see what other E-P3's have sold for in the last month or two. Even if transferable, I'm not sure the extended warranty adds much value for most people.

13. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It's tough to resell and get anywhere near new price. E-P3's with reasonably low shutter counts can be found for about $550 and kit lenses around $125. The fact that yours comes with a warranty is great but I'm not sure how much that will translate to getting it sold. It's a heck of a camera. Maybe use it a while and then sell it. It'll take a bit of the sting off having to sell it for less than you wanted.

14. gnod

gnod Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    NYC
    i think that's very good feedback. i really enjoyed testing it out but frankly i'm a firm believer that your equipment.. whether "good" or "best" should really fit with you. i don't think it'll be a challenge at all using this. :D

still i'll try to sell it. maybe i need to lower it to $700 which is already at a loss now... sigh haha

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Try selling through Amazon or craigslist or eBay. I think people here know the value of m43 gear too well.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I think getting a camera that "feels right" is incredibly important. I had an E-P3 and while I really liked it and could appreciate all the great things about it it never felt right when using it. I ended up trading it for a GH2 that feels "just right" and I'm a happy camper.

You might try selling it separately as opposed to a kit. I have also had good luck trading. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Crn3371

Crn3371 Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2012
    Based on what I see available in the for sale forum, your price seems high. Verify that your warranty is transferable. It's a good selling point, but probably not worth as much as you think. Not having the original box can be a negative for a lot of buyers. My experience has been that if you're not getting any action on an item (any item) than its not priced right. Start lowering your price and you'll start getting some response.