1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

selling dSLR gear

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Dsidote, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Dsidote

Dsidote Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Dave
    Greetings everyone!

I currently have a FF nikon system and an OM-D with a few primes, and I am thinking of selling off the nikon gear. After looking at the number of pictures I have taken with each system over the past year, I have rarely used the nikon since purchasing the OM-D. I am curious as to how people who made the switch sold off their dSLR gear - ebay, craigslist, camera store trade-in?

Thanks.

2. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I'm in the process of dumping my Sony DSLR system, I've found that shopping around pays. For cameras, Amazon seems to have the highest prices, ebay for older lenses and KEH pays really well for popular lenses. Craigslist just isn't worth the hassle in my book.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I just finally dumped my old Canon DSLR. Did way better on craigslist. But it was cheap, so craigslist was a good fit. For more expensive Nikon FF gear I'd try FredMiranda forum. You have to pay for a membership to sell, but it is pretty cheap for a one or three month deal. Cross-list on ebay with a healthy Buy It Now price that covers fee differences. See where you get the most cash.

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I sold my Nikon gear to B&H.

Of course they cannot offer "retail" prices - but the transaction was fast, painless, and B&H are absolutely trustworthy.

I got what I considered to be a fair offer (taking into account that I did not have to deal with EBay, PayPal, or Craig's List).

My local brick 'n mortar couldn't (or wouldn't) compete; while they do carry some used gear it's not their primary service so they didn't have a true need for my gear.

EDIT: B&H website can give 'instant' evaluations for used gear.

Regards,

Jim

5. Dsidote

Dsidote Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Dave
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I am less inclined to go the ebay or craigslist route due to bad experiences with other items and the hassle involved. I am willing to give up a little money for the convenience of not having to mail items or deal with CL low-ballers.

I will look into B&H.

I checked with my local shop and they wanted to give me $1400 for my mint 70-200/2.8 VRII. :eek:

6. Dsidote

Dsidote Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Dave
    okay, it seems $1400 is a good deal. B&H is quoting $1062 for a 70-200 VRII.

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Actually my best results have resulted from listing products on Amazon. Total fees are dramatically less than what eBay/PP take and the transaction is painless. I also typically list here and on my local CL, but Amazon's consistently worked out well.

8. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I sold most of my older Nikon bodies and lenses to someone that I knew well with the caveat that I would have accepted returns if not pleased as long as they are in the same condition in which I sold them and within 30 days.

So far, absolutely no returns. Although I'm a part-time pro, I purchased the better stuff and took care of them.

9. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I used to have 3 Nikon DSLR bodies, too many lenses and accessories and I've sold off all but my D7000 and 2 zooms.

Once my EM-1 arrives I hope to get a good enough keeper rate with motorsport that I can sell off the D7000 also.

All my Nikon gear was sold via eBay and most was paid for via PayPal, whilst the eBay and PayPal fees are high the realised price was also higher and more than made up for the fees.

10. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    You have to understand that shops usually tend to buy it at half the brand new price even if its mint since they need to sell it again, that's why it's actually better to sell stuff at forums direct to photographers in my opinion. :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

11. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I had pretty good luck selling my G2 to Amazon themselves with the kit 14-42mm lens. They paid me more than B&H offered, and about the same price as what it was going for on ebay. I wish I got a bit more out of it(since I nearly sold the body only for 30 less and could have maybe gotten $50 for the lens). The best part is the credit I got could be use at anywhere on amazon, including 3rd party sellers. Worth a look to see how they estimate your FF Nikon is worth.

12. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Though I despise ebay for some of it's policies and pricing, it's still the easiest place to deal with and make a fast sale. You can get better pricing if you list your products with high quality photos and descriptions and use buy it now or fixed price listings. There are ways to do well there.

If you want to sell on forums or craigslist you have to be willing to have a more realistic price (figure you are saving the paypal/listing fees). You might get a lowball or two, but just ignore them. You will get more spam than offers. Too many people are trying to sell old used DSLR or film DSLR's for retail prices from early 2000's figuring some idiot won't know better, which is never the case.

I've had positive experiences buying/selling on CL, here, other forums and ebay.

I'd never give up a camera to Adorama or B&H to sell. Might as well go to a pawn shop. To each his own though. Just my $.02

13. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I sell LOTS of stuff on ebay. As for the fees, they are what they are - 10% of the gross, including shipping, plus another ~3% of the gross to PayPal. But I figure that I'll eat the PayPal fees no matter what venue I sell with, other than if I limit my exposure to local buyers who have cash in hand - and that's a BIG sacrifice, believe me - so the PayPal 3% is more than justifiable. The fact is, the ebay 10% tax is the price you pay for the exposure to the vast number of potential customers that they put your item in front of. The fact that there is a ton of riff-raff on ebay selling stuff with lousy descriptions and none or crappy photos of the item gives you the opportunity to differentiate YOUR items by taking good pictures and providing knowledgeable comprehensive descriptions of the actual condition the item is in. In my experience, if you know what you're doing on ebay, AND you can describe your item in accurate, honest detail, you can get the best price on it by selling it on ebay. Whether it's the best price by at least 10% compared to selling it elsewhere is a different question - but oftentimes, it is.

14. Dsidote

Dsidote Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Dave
    Thanks to all who responded with advice. Hopefully the sale of my dSLR gear will go smoothly.

15. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I have had good success selling on amazon as a individual seller. Post good pics of what you want to sell, and price it at the lowest available used price and you should see a pretty fast sale in my experience. Amazon also offers buyer & seller protection, and I trust them at least slightly more than ebay/paypal.

Having just researched them, $1400 for a 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II is bargain basement, I'd sell it used someplace else personally. You should be able to get close to $2000 or even a little above depending on accessories and condition.

If you're selling a 14-24mm f/2.8 or 24-120mm f/4 let me know, that's the only two lenses left on my Nikon wishlist, haha :smile:

16. Dsidote

Dsidote Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Dave
    Thanks, jay. I checked the sold listings on ebay and I'm feeling pretty good about what I can get for my Nikon gear.

I don't have the 14-24 or 24-120. I opted for the 16-35 and the 24-70.

I see your from Hunterdon County. I live in Austin now but I grew up in Flemington. I miss the fall there.

17. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Ahhh, a good choice also. If I didn't really want the extra stop and wider 14mm end, the 16-35mm would be my next choice for a UWA for sure.

Fall is my favorite time of year too. I'm just one town or so over from Flemington. Welcome to the forum, enjoy your new m4/3 gear and best of luck with your Nikon sales.

18. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I gave mine away. Much less stressful than eBay or Craigslist.

19. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Well if anybody feels unnecessarily burdened by FF Nikon gear, please feel free to shoot me a PM :biggrin:

20. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Fred Miranda to sell your gear. Huge member base & trustworthy members there and I've always gotten top dollar for my gear...