1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Selling advice requested

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by briloop, Nov 20, 2013.

1. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    A co-worker wants to upgrade from a point-and-shoot. He is interested in buying a DSLR, but will consider my mirrorless kit:

Olympus OM-D E-M5 silver body plus all original accessories
    Olympus 12-50mm lens plus hood
    Olympus 40-150mm lens plus hood
    Olympus FL-300R flash
    J. Milich grip
    Lowepro bag
    8 GB SD card

Is $900 a fair price for the entire kit, too low, or too high?

Thanks

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Considering the EM-5 alone is worth about $600 used, I'd say it was a fair price. The two lenses are easily worth $300 and the extras sweeten the deal for a friend. Sounds fair for both of you.
    I missed the flash - price may be a bit low but the friend would be getting a great deal!

3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I'd say the lenses are worth more like $250 used. In any case I think $900 is about right, as buying an entire kit should get some level of a discount relative to each item individually

• Like Like x 1
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Seems a bit low. I'd say $1k for the whole enchilada.

5. gary.l

gary.l Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I agree with the previous posters. It's just about right. I'd also think the lenses would be about $300 ($100 for the 40-150mm and $200 for the 12-50mm, although I think these prices have included shipping) and the OMD EM-5 at $600. The rest are just bonuses / bundle discount / friend discount / convenience discount.

Edit: I've never paid attention to flashes but I just found one that sold here a couple months ago for $90.

6. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    $900 is fair. You might be able to get more on Ebay, but then they'll take their cut and what you pocket will end up being the same.

7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Recently, the 12-50mm has been going for well under $200

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    If you're selling to a friend with less knowledge moving up from point and shoot land, and hitting them for truly top dollar, you're not really much of a friend. To me, if the OP isn't offering a friend's discount (on the order of what ebay's cut would be if selling on the market), I would suggest not entering into the transaction, as it would be more like taking advantage of a newbie to unload one's entire kit on them at full ebay prices (while evading the ebay fees).

9. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    To give you a reference, I recently sold a package similar to yours:

Olympus OM-D E-M5 silver body plus all original accessories
    Olympus 12-50mm lens
    Olympus HLD-6 grip for E-M5
    RRS full grip package for E-M5
    Extra charger and two extra batteries
    Brand new with tags Vanguard messenger bag
    Brand new tripod (nothing fancy)

Everything was as new and I sold it for around $1,100 on Craigslist to a stranger. If I would be selling to a friend, I would probably ask around $900 for the whole package so your price seems fair to me.

Good luck.

10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Yep - $900 seems right.

11. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    A co-worker offered to buy the kit described above for the asking price. He noticed a crack in the bezel as described in another thread, and backed away from the deal. I was aware of the cracked bezel issue with the E-M5, but never checked for it.

I'm sending the E-M5 in for free warranty repair. When the camera returns from warranty repair, I am going to sell the parts separately and make more money than by selling everything as a kit.