[EXPIRED] Selling advice needed

Discussion in 'Expired Listings' started by briloop, Jun 22, 2012.

1. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    I am going to put my DSLR and accessories up for sale. I want to sell everything as a package. All of the equipment is approximately two years old and in good shape. The camera has 14,020 shutter releases. I would appreciate some selling advice.

Where would be some of the best places to advertise?

How much should I ask?

Nikon D5000 body with 55-200mm lens and 18-55mm lens
    Stofen Omnibounce
    Nikon speedlight SB600
    Lowepro black slingshot bag

Thanks!

2. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Craigslist: 10% good, 90% idiots and flakes. If you have the time to separate the wheat then start here because you can skip shipping, paypal, and insurance.

eBay: You'll get fair market value, maybe slightly more. Then paypal will take a cut, then eBay will take a cut, and you'll be left with somewhat less than FMV. But it is relatively easy and convenient.

Forums: I love buying and selling on forums such as this one. But you'll find more buyers for Nikon at other sites, such as FredMiranda, and these other sites might charge you an admission fee to sell things. If you don't sell often then the fee may outweigh the benefit.

Whatever you do, try to get good photos of the items. People will judge your items based on the photos and not so much on the words.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Rating - 100%
    74   0   0

Aug 9, 2010
    Fred Miranda (FM) and GetDPI are two forums that would be a good place to start. FM requires registration (and as I wall there is cost). GetDPI is free and they there tend to be lots of high ticket items on that forum sowhenever I sell I tend to get better prices there. FM is also a good place to look at prices for equivalent gear as they tend to specialize in Nikon and Canon gear there.

I agree that nice photos really help sell stuff.

4. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0

Dec 16, 2009
    For gear like this I would highly recommend ebay. It's consumer stuff and has broad appeal.

Also, DO NOT PACKAGE. You will lose at least 15% doing that if you actually want to sell.

5. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I agree with lattiboy. Do not sell them all as a package. Separate each item.

That said, the Sto-Fen can go with the flash.
    And the bag can go with the body. Maybe.

6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    While I definitely agree in general that packaging nets less $, given that these pieces go well together and are all of a starting kit nature (and not necessarily sought after as individual items), if the OP doesn't want to pack up and charge shipping for 3-4 different sales, a package deal in this case probably does make more sense.

As to specific prices, looks like recent sold packages including the 2 lenses and camera have gone for between $475 and $600, so somewhere in the middle would be a good sale value, the lower number would probably go more quickly.

The flash should be sold by itself, as you'll see little value added in bundling it (ok, guess I'm backtracking already, haha). Ebay buy-it-nows start around $125 used, that is definitely worth selling on its own as you'd likely not see more than $50 extra if bundled. Everything else should probably go together.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Which is more important to you? Time or money?

I cleared out a full T2i kit with lenses on FM. Easy. Yea, I took a small hit, but I also only paid for shipping once, not for each item. For me, fighting for that extra $10 per item isnt worth the time. YMMV

8. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Thank you everyone.

9. ibcj

ibcj Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Oct 15, 2011
    For this gear, I would probably sell on Ebay. This is last generation consumer level gear (with the exception of the flash). Ebay will likely bring the highest prices. Yes, their fees are outrageous, but people do get caught up in the bidding process.
    Photography forums are great places to sell and where I do all of my selling, but buyers are usually looking for deals and are very familiar with current gear and supply/demand issues.