Selling adapted lenses question

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TNcasual, Nov 10, 2015.

1. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I was wondering where, or how others sell off their adapted lenses. The Buy & Sell section seems to only be native stuff, with only ever a few non-mu4/3 things being listed. Is eBay the best way to go? I would rather not.

Thanks for any help.

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I've acquired nearly all my adapted lenses through eBay (the ones that I haven't have been inherited from former film shooters in the family). I have had no bad experiences, and if you have a little bit of patience, you can find tremendous deals.

It helps to know more than the buyers do about their own merchandise, which obviously requires research. But even just looking out for lenses that are not in high demand due to their lack of adaptability can help. Konica AR, Minolta MC/MD, and Canon FL/FD lenses all fetch less money than they should due to their quality, because their mounts can't be adapted to Canon or Nikon DSLRs.

3. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I am looking to sell, though. I have acquired enough, for now.

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Oops. Can't help you there. eBay is definitely more pleasant to Buy than to Sell with.

Feel free to post them on the Buy/Sell forum here, others may be interested. The ones that I have sold I have sold locally through classifieds (i.e. Craigslist) because I cannot be hassled to ship and deal with buyer problems.

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

eBay is nice because it always sells if you've priced it right (or use auction). Always. The market is huge and people look for stuff their as one of the first options.

The Buy/Sell forum here hasn't been that good to me. I think our active membership already has full gear lists or something. Most of the things I post for sale end up having nobody interested and I put them on ebay in 2 weeks. I think they all sold on ebay for more than I posted them for here, even including fees. Those were native lenses, too, so I would imagine manual lenses would be even harder to sell.

I think that is funny because I consider Craigslist to be 100x more hassle than ebay. Answering odd questions and scam requests, trying to arrange safe meeting places, schedule a time, wonder if they are going to show up, get re-haggled when they do show up, etc. It's more time and risk than I want to bother with. Selling online I just print the label at home, drop it in the 24hr package drop on the way to work and I'm done.

6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Ebay is the most efficient

7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    :frown:

I was hoping to avoid Ebay.

8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I sold a bunch of Pentax Takumar lenses on PentaxForums. You do need to donate ($10/mo or $20/year) for marketplace access.

I've heard good things about FredMiranda but haven't really used it.

Barry

9. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    I've had no problems selling old lenses on eBay, but perhaps I've been lucky so far.

I always use auctions and set the start price at the point where I wouldn't actually cry if there was only 1 bid! So far I've not had one go for the start price.

10. Amazon is another possibility. The thing is that either marketplace may be tough going for someone just starting out as a seller with none or very little feedback.

11. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    That is one of the things I had concerns about.

12. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Post them here and see what happens. You won't maximize your return, but it sounds like you may value the simplicity vs an eBay transaction.

If you do end up on eBay just remember to carefully describe the condition of your lenses and provide good pics. Some buyers have unrealistic expectations with older lenses.

13. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I will get around to posting them here sometime soon. That was going to be my first step.