1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Seller backed out

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by boatman37210, Oct 4, 2013.

1. boatman37210

boatman37210 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    Ever have someone back out of a sale after receiving payment? Was told it would ship in 4 or 5 days, so waiting for word of shipping. No word, so sent message if it would ship today. As an afterthought checked my paypal account and the money had been refunded 3 days later after purchase. I can only assume they were playing for time for a better offer. Guess they were not going to tell me. A really crappy way to do business.

A first for me.

2. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    It's possible, but if you were refunded (completely) I would try not to sweat it and move on. If it was on ebay, you *could* in theory provide a negative feedback, since that system is flawed in the sense that a seller cannot give a buyer a negative.

I wouldn't sweat the small stuff though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Good luck, bad luck, who knows? Sometimes we should let the universe make decisions for us and we need to just roll with it.

4. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Maybe the seller thought that when he refunded you the money you would be notified or something.

I agree with Kbeezie as long as you did not lose any money just let it go.

5. sagar

sagar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2012
    I dont think its crappy specially if you received the $ back w/o have to following up. But I agree he/she should have at least informed you before refunding.

Also note, it not always about getting better offer. On occasions there could also be seller's remorse where after selling he/she really wants to keep it so decides to refund.

Some times you have to just accept and move on :)

6. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I got that hard to let go feeling every time my gear for sale, could be seller's remorse.

7. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    A sale on e-bay is supposed to be binding. It looks to me as if the seller didn't get as much as he hoped & so decided to remade on the deal. Definitely a cause for negative feedback.

8. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Disappointing indeed. Shouldn't there have been a notification from Paypal of the refund, that might have included a reason for the cancellation? Maybe it ended up in the spam folder. Either way I think it would have been better for the seller to send a separate message.

9. caspert79

caspert79 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2013
    Netherlands
    Did you pay in time? I believe some sellers require buyers to pay within a limited time frame.

10. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    It could have been that the seller discovered that the item had issues and would need to be sent into repair and did not wish to deal with those repair issues with you. It is better to refund the buyer their money and move on rather than refund the money to the buyer after the buyer receives the item and discovers it is broke only then to have the buyer put out there on e-bay that the item was received broke in some way and then have the buyer place that information all over the net as well hampering the sellers chance of selling the item once it is repaired.

11. caspert79

caspert79 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2013
    Netherlands
    Still, whatever the reasons are, the seller should communicate these kind of actions clearly to the buyer.

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Exactly. The only legitimate reason to cancel after payment is if some issue comes up with the item for sale, in which case it behooves the seller to explain exactly what's going on.

• Like Like x 1
  13. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I had it happen once when I got a lens at a really good price. The seller claimed that the lens was defective and they didn't notice until it came time to ship....

Suspicious, but they refunded everything right away.

14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Definitely odd, but at least you got your money back. I would have thought that Paypal would notify you. :confused:

15. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Sorry, but I can't be too quick to dismiss this. Imagine the buyers equivalent: you agree to buy something and then decide you don't want to pay. It'd be great to be able to bid like that. I'd pursue the harshest feedback possible.

• Like Like x 1
  16. boatman37210

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    Most people I know if you renege on a deal they get upset and if you take a higher offer after payment has been made people really really get upset. Since the seller never said why then I am assuming, rightly or wrongly, it must have been a reason I would not have been to happy with. Most likely a higher offer since the price was so low. Otherwise he would have told me. What he did was just flat wrong in my book.

However, I am not upset. More irritated than anything. It was a very minor transaction. Nothing to get upset about. As they say it is the principle of the thing. The only reason I posted was just to see if anyone else had this happen.

Moving on.

17. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    This is worth reporting to eBay (assuming that that is where the item was bought) in addition to negative feedback.

18. Colorbright

Colorbright Mu-43 Regular

Definitely disappointing. At a bare minimum, the seller should have notified you. And yes, I have had this happen to me, but the seller was honest about it, let me know there was an issue asap (like within 1/2 hour of my payment) and immediately refunded me. A very responsible and honest approach.

The only issue is that (as I found out) when a refund is made to a PayPal account it can take days or even weeks for that refund to be released (even if you have an account with a 'perfect' history). Not certain why (and luckily I did not need to use the refunded money right away) but that could be a real pain in some situations.

Even though you may want to just let go of this and move on, I can also see why you might want to give a poor review for this seller (even if it is just as a mild warning to other people) because the seller dealt with the situation so poorly. It all depends on the circumstances, though (but it sounds like this person just took off on you and told you nothing). Makes you wonder just what was going on with the seller. Hope you have much better luck with all your future transactions! :>)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Instead of jumping on with everyone else, I am going to ask the followup question. Have you emailed the seller to see what is going on? Where was this (Ebay, camera forum, etc.)?

20. boatman37210

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    Yes, sent message. No response.

It is a member of this forum. Since I got my money back was not sure how much to make of this. I've sent a message to one of the moderators on what I should do.