Sell or Keep - Panasonic 14-45mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by cstevens, Mar 18, 2010.

1. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Over on this thread - https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?p=16144#post16144 - I am selling my 14-45mm lens.

However I am now torn as to whether to sell it or not. The biggest reason for selling was to fund the 45mm Leica, but now thats not a problem, so the financial reasons for sale have gone.

Technically, I love the GF1 with primes and plan to add the 14mm to my 20mm and 45mm, I cant get completely comfortable with the 14-45 with the LCD screen, but thats not a reason to sell.

I know the 14-45 for kit lens standards is a stirling lens, and produces very good results, although its a slow lens, its good for outdoor work.

I also know that they have now released the cheaper 14-42, and rumors that the 14-45 will become very difficult to get hold of in the future, so I dont want to regret selling then not be able to get one back again.

The lens is not going to get much use (especially if I get the 14mm), but it will probably be used for a few landscapes/urban shoots that I do, but having it at leasts gives me the option of using it.

SO - WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Little used lens, albeit good, money would be useful, but the lens would be more useful if I had it than if I didnt (I dont have a wide currently).

SELL or KEEP?

2. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    A zoom is always (very) useful - and a real 28 to 90 is ideal - it's an ideal carry around if you cannot decide - plus the 20mm or 17 just fits in your pocket - but hey the 14 45 is small anyway
    if you don't need the money, keep it - these "bankers" give you nothing these days if you keep it in the bank.

I've never read any bad reports on it and it can also take a while to appreciate what a lens can do

It is a pity it is not a little faster - but that would make it more expensive - but it has IS and the summer is coming

I use mine quite a lot now, (especially on my G1)

3. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    My advice would be to keep it for the time being at least, as the 14-45mm will hold it's price well compared to the new plastic mount 14-42mm, & become even more sort after if Panasonic stop production on it.

I really like my 14-45mm it great for outdoor stuff, the only time i part with mine if Panasonic release a 12-75mm F2.8-F4 or something like that.

I did that mistake once when i bought a 17-55mm F2.8 for my D300, & let my 16-85mm VR go, as i thought i never use it again, I ended up regretting it & buying a new one which cost me more than the first 16-85mm VR due to price rises.

4. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    All good advice - and 100% votes to keep.

I think you are all right about the pros and cons of the lens itself but the pros do outweigh the cons...its an outdoors lens though really.

Its one of those things that the money I could raise for it, doesnt really make it a no brainer to sell.

Hey Razer, a 12-75mm F2.8-F4 wouldnt it :)

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I'm a prime guy...well, older but I don't really care for zoomies. There are times I tell ya that they are just what ya need. The Panny is as good as it gets in this format.
    Keep the lens, we can't all be wrong...

6. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Goodness me - there is MUCH love for this lens isnt there :)

I think you are all confirming what I secretly thought in my heart. Maybe I need to get out there and shoot with it more....but oooooo that means taking off the 20 and the 45 now and again :)

7. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Sell it - whilst the MTF craze is in full swing

- get your hands on that "lovely money"

- you can then blow it on one good meal for two - your wife/partner/mother/uncle/sister/mistress will thank you and you never know what you might get from the latter

8. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Hi there, I sold mine a week or 2 ago, my reasoning being that I didn't use it anyway because I have the 14-140mm which pretty much made it redundant and I wanted to raise funds for my next purchases the 45mm n 20mm.

In my opinion its a great kit lens, Panasonics making a big mistake replacing it in my opinion.

I think you should keep it if you don't need the money, because as you said it'll be great having it just in case a zoom lens is quite handy at times. Also perhaps you should keep it for your wide option, perhaps sell later when the 14mm pancake comes out.

Finally there's no rush to sell it, there seems to be heavy demand for them so if you decide to sell later I'm sure you wont have any problems selling quickly.

Hope this helps,

Vince

9. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
  10. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Wow guys. I think I am going to keep it!....at least until the 14mm or even something like a 12mm arrives.

Like you said it will still be worth something down the line, a bit more if pano discontinue it as it seems to have a nice cult following :)

Thanks guys for all the replies, not what I expected lol.

11. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Never sell a lens.

I learned the hard way.

I sold a beautiful Minolta Maxxum 85 1.4 (the older version... all metal) for $500 on eBay about ten years ago. They are now $900++ and I want it back... if you can find them.

So now my mantra is: 'If it was good enough for me once, why wouldn't it be good enough for me now, assuming my taste in glass actually stood for something?'

12. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Yeah, I'm the lucky guy who bought the lens from Legendary Vincechu. Hoping to receive it today. Can't wait to use it. Long Live the 14-45!!

iconindustries

13. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 13, 2010
    I voted Don't Sell, but for a different reason: Bundle it with the body when you upgrade in the future.

It is hard to imagine glass better than the 20 and 45, but there will always be improvements in bodies. When this happens, you will want to be able to sell off the body and including a kit zoom will help immensely with this.

Edit: I also don't think the 14-45 will become very much sought after - not to be harsh, but there's nothing special about it (unlike Bokeh Diem's 85/1.4). And if the 14-42 is in any way optically superior to the 14-45 then you're even more out of luck!

14. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    Nothing special!!!

The 14-45mm is proberly the best kit lens you can get with any camera.

That alone make it special in my book.

15. walshy

walshy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    Oh dont start me off!

Contax & leica R stuff ive had and sold for tuppence on ebay and in Loot news paper... RRRrrh!! :mad:

Little did I know then...

Sorry off subject...

Buy the lens you ''always'' wanted, I bet you leave it like a rat on a sinking ship :biggrin:

Guy..

16. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 13, 2010
    It is not as pin-sharp as the 20/1.7. It is a kit lens. Moreover it is a SLOW lens; f/3.5-5.6 is not special by any stretch of the imagination.

Moreover, if we look at the current cheapest prices for the GF1 body (US$540) and the GF1+14-45 kit (US$758) we can conclude that no sane person would buy the lens itself for more than US$218. And if you consider the market more carefully, most people even remotely interested in the 14-45 would be those who got the GF1+20 kit - and after experiencing the compactness, speed and sharpness of the 20/1.7 I don't think they'd value the 14-45 very highly at all.

So I would cap the market value of the 14-45 at US$200. Slow kit zoom lenses have never gone up in value. Hence from a market value perspective it is dead in the water, and only serves to increase the customer base when used to help sell a GF1 body later on.

17. mgr

mgr Mu-43 Regular

> SELL IT > because I'm looking for one :wink:

Send me a PN, should you decide this way

regards
    Manfred

18. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Hey Manfred, you cant vote, you have a vested interest :)

19. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    its the finest kit zoom made in the history of photography ,imho

so dont sell,.... its pathetic.... bigger barreled.... longer... plastic moun...t non ois switchable.... shorter 14-42 zoom replacement is pannys biggest blunder to date , imho

keep, keep keep!!!

20. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city