Sell my GX7 and lenses for LX100?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by compute42, Oct 9, 2014.

1. compute42

compute42 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2014
    So the LX100 has me jazzed as I do arial photography with hexacopters etc…

I own a GX7 and mainly use the 20mm pany lens with it. I'd say %90 of the time
    I have a 12mm samyang that I use for night astrophotography/timelapse, and a panny 50-150 lens.

I'm thinking the LX100 would cover most of my needs well, plus giving me a 4k video arial videographer platform. Loads cheaper than flying a GH4 with the OLY12mm lens that most are currently doing.

The Pany 20mm lens is pretty great, and I've taken some amazing shots with it, just wondering how the new LX100 and Leica lens will compare.
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Hard to say, but how will you use your telephoto if you don't have a body to go with it?
  3. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Umm... I think that the title says it all ... "selling my GX7 and lenses..."
    Now to me that would indicate the lenses would be sold as well as the body
  4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    GX7 with 20mm is more compact than LX100 with that extended zoom, isn't it? if that's a consideration, that is.
  5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    go with the camera that suits your needs.

I doubt you will see much discernible quality difference between GX7 and LX100...

• Like Like x 2
  6. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    As above, get what you need. Easy.
  7. compute42

compute42 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2014
    I've used my telephoto once. and it was at 50mm… :smile: never needed the 150.
    I just don't want to take a step back in quality. If the LX100 with built in lens is comparable in IQ to my GX7 and Panny20mm that would be the ideal setup for me
  8. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Sounds ideal then. Regarding quality, I don't think anyone has properly reviewed the lens yet. The loss of 4 MP of resolution should not be an issue in practice.
  9. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I am seriously considering the same; trading in ALL of my M43 kit for the Leica D-Lux, since its only £25 more than the panasonic. Maybe I only get a red dot for the extra but for £25 that's a gamble worth taking.

Mostly I use 14mm or 20mm, sometimes 45mm.

10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    If 12 MP is enough and you're ok with losing the 45/1.8, I think it's certainly a defensible choice. The Leica will keep the resale a little higher as well (idiotic though that might be) and I think you get Lightroom thrown in. The AF will be a lot faster than with the 20 and you'll get a wider, faster lens than the 14.
  11. mark111

mark111 Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 7, 2014
    Panasonic's camera products/innovations in the photography area have been very good, but they just seem to let themselves down on marketing and pricing.

The LX100 is on pre-order at £699UK New.

The GX7 +20mm costs £650

I understand the LX7 is a 2.2 crop and it's early days with little details of IQ but essentially the LX100 can now do what the GX7 can and can also record at 4K and has a better AF system and stabilization, not to mention a quality zoom lens with a bright aperture in a single package. Realistically to match or better the LX100 with the GX7 you are going to need a £200 451.8 from Olympus/20mm1.7 and a decent kit lens, that system costs around £900.

People who like Olympus just tend to stick to Olympus especially as it has the 5-axis system which is completely unique to them.
    Advanced video users will just get a GH3/GH4

I think the LX100 will compete well with the Sony RX100 line (although its bigger and not pocket sized) but it is also going to mainly compete with Panasonic's own and GX and GM systems.

When the GX7 came out it was priced at £1000 UK, which I thought was very high considering it was 18 months after the EM5 and had similar IQ, but then Olympus released the EM1 at a similar price tag and the GX7 got little coverage after this, prices remained high in the UK (still around £900) till this summer when there was a sudden drop. Panasonic seemed to have learnt their lesson and priced the GH4 reasonably, but it leaves big questions about the future of the G-GX lines.
  12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Currently there is no single camera that can do what the GX7 can do ... so either keep it or buy a cheapo old used back (GF1? GX1? G3?) to replace it.

Really, the LX100 isn't any kind of replacement, unless you didn't need a largeish sensor in the first place.
  13. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Oh no. Now there is another one I have to resist. Thanks for that. :(

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I like the GX7's size and would miss the option of longer lenses like the 40-150. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy an LX100 but I would never make it my only camera.
  15. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    Keep the GX7!

Save up for, or sell something else, get a loan for, or whatever you feel you have to do if you just have to have that LX100.

But don't sell off the GX7 or the lenses you have for it. The GX7 is still earning a reputation for being the best travel and carry around camera going. I have an OMD E-M5, a pair of GH3's, and a GH4; however the camera I reach for the most (to have one with me) is my GX7. With the lenses it will take, that little camera will do most of what the "big boys" will.

Find a way to keep it.
  16. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Keep the GX7. Wait for a price drop on the LX100.

Anyone who suggest there ISN'T any significant difference between 12 & 16 mp is a fool.
  17. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Agree with the others on this. The GX7 is a KEEPER! Just add the LX100 to your kit for times when it's all you'll want to carry with you.

When my LX100 arrives, I'm planning to carry it (alternating with GM5) always in my man-bag. Small, light, capable, and always close-at hand. But in a separate bag under the back seat of the truck, will be a camera bag with GX7 and a variety of lenses - for times when more imaging capability is (perhaps unexpectedly) needed.
  18. yorik

yorik Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 23, 2013
    Scotts Valley, CA
    If I get the LX100, it will be instead of getting the PL15 + PL25 combo (i.e., wide to normal angles). The GX 7 will have the O45 living on it
    or anything longer/adapted.

But I may decide to just buy the PL15 instead. I'll wait until there is a broader sample/review base to decide.