1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sell me on EM10 Live Composite?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by agentlossing, Feb 6, 2015.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm not usually one for the more gimmicky features being put into cameras these days, though for the most part I understand them and see their value for special scenarios. But I can't wrap my head around the Live Composite feature on the EM10. I've read a couple threads on DPR but they fly partially over my head. Anyone here use and like the mode?

2. adamsmt2013

adamsmt2013 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  3. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Thank you! That's fascinating, and now it confuses me even more than it did before! Camera wizardry!

EM10•GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

4. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I recently got an EM10. I am still at the "practice" stage with Live Composite so I have no examples of my own to show. But in looking for answers to the same question I came across a thread from a different forum (of photographers based in Singapore, I believe) which has some good examples:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1405741

It took me a while to grasp the difference between Live Composite and Live Time, but I think a key difference is that it makes it much easier to balance the exposure where you have a mix of static and moving lighting. E.g. if you have fireworks bursting over a brightly lit building (where the lighting on the building is not changing), you can set the base exposure appropriate for the building, and then continue to add "extra" exposures for as long as you need until you have the fireworks you want, without worrying about overexposing the building as you would with a single long exposure.

One of the tricky aspects is if there are moving people in the frame... somebody walking along wearing a light coloured jacket and dark trousers can lead to the appearance of a ghostly jacket floating across the photo!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    What Oly models offer this feature? I was not familiar with it until I saw this thread.

--Ken

6. alan1972

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I believe the E-M10, E-PL7, the new E-M5 II, and the E-M1 (not originally but added in a firmware update). I think that is all but I am open to correction.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Thanks, Alan. I will be updating my E-M1's firmware soon, so I am looking forward to learning more about this feature. I did not pay much attention to it when I first heard about it as it was limited to the EM-10 IIRC.

Thanks,

--Ken

8. alan1972

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    It is certainly fun to experiment with. I have found it best to work out the base exposure setting in normal M mode before moving shutter speed to the LIVE COMP setting. Once you are in Live Comp it seems you lose the ability to see exposure changes reflected in the live view.

One thing I am still unsure of is how to choose between lots of fairly short exposures, subject to the half second limit, or a few longer ones.

As far as I can see the total time
    or number of exposures is not recorded in the final file, so if you are learning by trial and error, you need to make a note of what is displayed when you stop the exposure. Although I haven't checked Olympus Viewer to see if it displays any extra information specific to Live Comp.

• Like Like x 2
  9. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I guess, on fireworks example you would want to chose exposure time just to let particles to fly 1/3-1/2 of the frame.
    How is focusing done in LC mode? I have separate Fn2 button set for S-AF, but it doesn't do anything in LC..

• Like Like x 1
  10. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Alright, after playing with this feature for product type shots, I can see how it could be very cool. Itching to try with fireworks now!

EM10•GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

11. alan1972

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Excellent link Dave, I had not come across that one before.