1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sell Me an EM-10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Fred S, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    I went into the camera store yesterday to buy an EPL-7
    because of my shaky hands and I could use the the 3 axis IBIS
    For $100.00 more I can get an EM-10
    I like the Viewfinder which is a must have for me,
    Built in flash. And it is a little more comfortable in my hands.
    I think this will be a plus with my 75-300

It is on sale for $ 600.00 Canuck Bucks or about $ 500.00 USD wo lens
    Any other reasons I should buy one ?

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    It's the same style battery as the EPL1 thru EPL5, if that's what you already have. Share chargers, etc.

3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Built-in gauge level in viewfinder that activates on shutter half-press.

4. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Fantastically useful double dials, highly configurable with more direct access through buttons; great accessory grip.

Other than that, the two cameras are quite similar - the E-PL7 is an E-M10 sans EVF and without semi-pro handling. That said, it'd make an ideal second body to any OM-D ... The E-M10, on the other hand, gives you most of what the E-M5 had to offer, with a healthy helping of E-M1 features, albeit without weather sealing and 5-axis stabilisation. That's about it. For $100 more, it's kind of a no-brainer IMO, especially if the EVF is a must. The VF-4, while great (i.e. better than the one in the E-M10), is also quite big and unwieldy.

M.

5. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    If a viewfinder is a must for you, definately go for the E-M10.

I have the E-PL5 with the VF-2 attachable viewfinder, and me it's not as practical as having it all in the same package, so I'm heading for a E-M10 as soon as my treasure affords me.

Also, I've heard that the viewfinder works better with image previewing (which is a PAIN in the ass on the VF-2 - too much button clicking). Yeah, I'm one of those who like to preview most of my photos to check sharpness.

For 100$ more? No doubt in my mind.

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I concur with the others here, love mine. Get the Olympus accessory grip for another $50 and the camera becomes ergonomically wonderful. That thumb rest is brilliantly placed.

EM10•GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

• Like Like x 1
  7. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Get the E-M10, it's a great camera. There are no downsides to this decision because it handles better and everything is built in.

8. bacil

bacil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Minnesota
    It's a chick magnet :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    I concur, it attracts a lot of attention :wink:

I love my E-M10, it's a great camera and seems to handle anything you can throw at it.

10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Handling, viewfinder, and optional grip for use with the 75-300 make the choice easier (since I'm assuming you already have the 75-300?).

11. kreinhard

kreinhard New to Mu-43

Dec 27, 2011
    Size-wise, how does the EM-10 compare to the E-PL7? My wife has a Canon 30D that she's finally tired of lugging around and wants something smaller (her Canon S90 is a great pocket camera, but she doesn't necessarily want something that small...ergonomics are lacking) but with interchangeable lenses. If anyone can compare the size of either of these Olys to the 30D, that would be ideal.

I've been pushing the PEN series (gosh, not that I'd want to use it, heh) for years trying to get her to move, and it looks like she's finally ready.

12. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    It's the same style battery as the EPL1 thru EPL5
    viewfinder works better with image previewing
    Olympus accessory grip for another $50 and the camera becomes ergonomically wonderful
    Built-in gauge level in viewfinder that activates on shutter half-press.
    Fantastically useful double dials, highly configurable
    I don't need any of the above

NOW thats the deal beaker :smile:

Thanks every one for all the input
    I have one on my kitchen table right now :smile::smile:

Olympus accessory grip is coming this spring when I start birding with my 75-300

13. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    built-in flash and EVF should be sufficient enough reasons to go for E-M10. for all practical considerations the size of both cameras is the same. E-PL7 is bigger when either flash or EVF is attached.

14. kreinhard

kreinhard New to Mu-43

Dec 27, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  15. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The other thing your wife will notice are lenses actually designed for the smaller sensor. But going from a DSLR to m4/3 I would look at the E-M10 over the E-PL7.

Compare

Here is a 40D with a 28 - 216mm angle of view lens versus an E-M10 with a 28-300mm angle of view. (1.5 versus 2.8 pounds)

16. kreinhard

kreinhard New to Mu-43

Dec 27, 2011
    Coincidentally, after I saw the image showing the size comparisons posted earlier, I ended up ordering the E-M10 and kit lens! Also picked up the 40-150mm to go with it; I probably should have researched that lens first, but...impulse control isn't my long suit.

As my great-grandfather was wont to say, "Great minds think alike!" Of course, then he'd usually pause before adding, "Or, there's no difference amongst fools." ;)

Thanks for the quick replies and the very helpful info. Greatly appreciated.

17. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Looks like we sold one extra :thumbup:
    Check review of E-M10 on dpreview.com as they have couple good advices on how to make initial setup to make best use of its features.

• Like Like x 1
  18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The kit lens and 40-150 are a fine starting point. The only thing I would add is something smaller and a little faster (f/1.7 - f/2.8) in the 14mm - 30mm range.

19. mambastik

mambastik Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    I still have my ancient E-PL1 and looking for an upgrade, currently stuck between E-M10 and GX7 after weeks of reading and watching reviews. And now, the E-M10 just shot up 10 miles ahead of GX7... all because it uses the same battery. I dunno, I kinda blacked out. I found an E-M10 on my checkout cart and I have no idea how it got there. Someone talk me out of it. Of all this extensive reading, I'm choosing an E-M10 because of this?

One last question: There are regular body only deals (no battery/charger, no lens, no box, just bare body) for $440 USD shipped from Japan. I'm wondering if I record videos, will it be PAL/NTSC and not be able to playback in different regions? Or am I still living in the past of Betamax and VHS and this sort of problem doesn't exist anymore?