Sell GF6 and get an oly for sooc jpegs?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by kstano83, Jul 8, 2016.

1. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    My wife has a GF6 that she mostly uses to take pictures of our sons. My question is: Is it worth to get her an oly body just because of sooc jpeg color? Maybe I would set her camera to shoot RAW+jpeg just in case there is a shot that would need a bit of tweaking...is it worth it? If yes, can anyone post pictures that proof the jpeg difference?

Edit: No need for an advanced body as she shoots everything in auto.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    No. I think there is nothing wrong with Panasonic colors/jpeg, some even prefer these over the Olympus ones.
    You may try to tweak a little the in-camera jpeg settings (sharpness, saturation, contrast, etc.) to see if you prefer what you get with a couple of test shots.

But before that, setting a reasonable WB for the scene (sunny, cloudy, etc. Auto WB outdoor is usually fine/acceptable) and getting a reasonable exposure (using exposure compensation) is what will make the biggest difference. And a scene with bad light will look bad on any camera.

About RAW: you can use it to save/fix extremely "wrong" pictures (wb, exposure, etc.). But it requires a little post-processing experience to squeeze that little more details out and to fix wrong color hues, etc. Otherwise you can do a lot of work on jpeg too with good results, the requires skills are identical.
    My suggestion is to use RAW, if ever, only when particular/artificial light is involved: sunsets, indoor shots, etc. but again only if you are willing to spend some time on these shots later.
    The problem is that a RAW file is about twice the size of a jpeg so jpeg+RAW takes three times more space on the SD card and the camera gets a little less responsive while it is saving the files (how much depends on the camera and the SD card speed). So I do not see it as a "just in case" solution.

3. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    I always shoot RAW, even my wife does and I keep them RAW even after postproces. But I cant keep up editing them so I now have over a thousand unedited RAWs. I wish those custom jpeg settings from camera would apply to raws as well, but I try to stay realistic. :)

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    If you are happy with a generic post-processing just open all of them in Lightroom or another software and do a default export. You'll get something similar to what you get from the camera. It should take 10 minutes of your time and a couple of hours of computer processing.

Or you can even do a generic fine tuned "default" processing (tone curve, clarity, etc.) on a single image and then copy and past that processing on all the other pictures. Or even save a few different processing as "Presets": one for indoor, night, landscapes, etc. to reuse these later, but this is going to take much more time and I would reserve this for the keepers only.

• Agree Agree x 1