1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sell F2.8 zooms for primes?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by BB70Chevelle, Mar 15, 2019 at 1:45 PM.

1. BB70Chevelle

BB70Chevelle Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 7, 2016
    TN
    Since buying the sigma 56 f1.4 ive noticed I have not shot once with either of my f2.8 zooms in months so it has me thinking if I should go to all primes? All of my photography work currently is portraits 90% outdoor I'd say. What id be selling is,

P35-100 F2.8
    O12-40 F2.8

What I'd buy in there place is,
    O75 F1.8
    S30 F1.4
    S16 F1.4

What would you do?

2. LilSebastian

LilSebastian Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Pasadena, CA
    John
    Well, those f2.8 zooms will likely be worth the same on the secondary market in another six months so no rush to make a decision. But also, you could repurchase them on the used market if you decide to return. Zooms are great for the occasions where you need or want flexibility given a wide variety of potential subjects. If you are only shooting portraits and like the limitations or outputs of those primes, then go right ahead. For many of us though, a zoom will always have a place in the rotation.

Weren't you also nearly sold completely out of m43 and just decided to remain?

3. rfaucher

rfaucher Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Ajax, Ontario
    Rob Faucher
    If indeed 90% of the work you do is portraits, then the Oly 75 f1.8 would be the lens of choice. Down the road if you need something wider, you could buy another prime. You could probably get a good deal on a used Oly 12mm or 17mm.

I'm a fan of the Oly 12-40mm, however, on the few occasions when I do portraits for friends or family, I use the Sigma 60mm f2.8 or a Rokinon 85mm f1.4 with a focal reducer. They seem to producer nicer portraits than the zoom. If I did portraits far more often, I'd definitely purchase the Oly 75mm.

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

If you are only using the 56mm, why would you need the other primes? Why is it better to have 2 primes sitting, rather than 2 zooms?

5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    What I did:

Sold my P12-35/2.8 and P35-100/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Mitakon 25/0.95

Kept/Bought:
    P12-32/3.5-5.6
    O75-300/4.8-6.7II

Laowa 7.5/2
    O17/1.8
    O45/1.8 (I preferred this over the Sigma 30)
    O75/1.8

I use the zooms in good light, but the primes are there if I need better DOF control or low light help.

If portraits are your major thing, i'd think that the primes would be more useful to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. IvanTheT3rribl3

IvanTheT3rribl3 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 5, 2019
    The Oly 45mm f/1.8 prime is a solid and compact lens as well, very fast and sharp with a more versatile focal length than the 75mm, and you can get them new for $250.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 16, 2017
    "it's a restless, hungry feelin'
    that don't mean no [lens] no good
    everything you're a [shootin']
    [another lens] could do it just as well..."

- with apologies to the poet/songwriter

• Like Like x 1
  8. BB70Chevelle

BB70Chevelle Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 7, 2016
    TN
    More just in case I do run into a scenario where I need something different, doing new born photos in our house I found the 56 to be a little to tight so for that. A 30 or 42.5/45 would have been better and given a little more freedom so I ended up using my 12-40 and its the only use its gotten in months.

Still on the fence about it honestly, this is my last attempt to see if the system will give me what I'm after. When I talked about leaving alot of people told me to hold off and rent a flagship camera first so I just went ahead and sold my two bodys to cover the cost of my g9 and now I'm considering selling off these to cover for some faster glass and see how it does. In a year I may be off to full frame but I'm giving m43 a fair chance to keep me around.

9. LilSebastian

LilSebastian Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Pasadena, CA
    John
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. rfaucher

rfaucher Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Ajax, Ontario
    Rob Faucher
    That would be a very good budget friendly choice.

11. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Something I noticed on after acquiring a well used D700 & the rather stellar 23-85mm f2.8 zoom - on a larger camera, I tend to use the zoom because carrying multiple primes is a hassle. Even the zoom itself is large but the convenience trade-off is worth loosing a little speed - plus the sensor copes pretty well with higher ISO. On m43, its easier to carry multiple lenses and mix/match - heck, its even easier to carry multiple bodies with multiple primes - I'm pretty sure I could carry a couple of E-PM/E-PL bodies with 2 primes and a zoom in the same space as my D700/zoom.

12. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 24, 2018
    Like others, I'm in reverse of the OP.
    The zoom is my primary lens, and the prime is my secondary lens.
    In fact I have 2 levels of zoom; #1 the pro zoom, #2 the consumer zoom (when I am size and weight constrained).
    The prime comes out only for low light work that the zoom cannot handle. In LOW light, FAST glass still wins.

I have been thinking about getting a 45, just to make the 17 + 45, 2-lens kit, to duplicate the old 35 + 85 kit of the film days. This would be an alternate, walk about, 2-lens prime kit, not to replace my zooms.

So which way you go depends on your style and personal preference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. dlentini

dlentini Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2015
    Don’t sell anything, just buy more lenses! Have the cake and get more cake!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Keep the 12-40, it's the best general purpose lens made for m43.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.