sell epm1 kit for OMD? thoughts?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Adobres, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Adobres

Adobres Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    So I was thinking, do you think it would be a wise move to sell my epm1 and lens, 45mm 1.8, 25mm 1.4, and 14mm 2.5 and get a omd and the kit lense 12-55mm???

or will that be going downhill because I wouldn't have the good glass anymore untill I get some more money. hmmm... hard decisions!

2. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    If you are enjoying the good glass, then keep it, using a kit zoom may well be a disappointment, no matter how good the body. I have the same three natives and love them.

3. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    If it is me I would save more money to get E-M5 so I could use all those lens for maximum IQ, remember body is only half the equation, beside it would compliment e-pm1 quite well as E-M5 is a bit bigger and heavier than e-pm1.

4. Negative.

5. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Sell the body and keep the lenses for the Om-D. There is reason why you bought the primes, so keep them for the om-d.

6. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Will buy the 45mm.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Absolutely not. Good glass is far more valuable than a good body. You will be taking a big loss selling those items used to buy something new. The E-PM1 is also a very good body in its own right, and will be a perfect companion to the OM-D when you can afford it. The OM-D won't replace your E-PM1 as a super-compact set, but even ignoring that an OM-D with one soft zoom lens will NEVER replace an E-PM1 with a set of 3 sharp, fast primes!

8. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    If you never use the large apertures of your primes and need a weatherproof body and lens. I don't see anything wrong with selling your primes for the OMD especially since the Em5 has better IBIS. Stopped down, the differences between a prime and a zoom are minimal.

9. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Im having the same dilemma, but I cant bear to part eith my lenses, so im going to save up for the em5 (given the user reviews are positive) and maybe sell the epm1 body.

10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Don't be silly. Keep the lenses.

11. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Keep lenses and save for OM-D

12. fgbrault

fgbrault Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    I would not give up such good glass. I would also recommend saving until you can get the OMD without selling your glass. Also, I love the size/weight of the E-PM1 and am not sure I would want the increased size and weight of the OMD.

13. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    You will gain some with the E-M5, but lose a lot more by selling your primes.

IMO sell the 14 and use that + savings for the E-M5. Do NOT sell the 45 and 25! :tongue:

14. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    I'm selling my E-P2, VF-2, kit zoom and buying the OM-D - all the other lenses are too good to let go.
    +1 Keep the glass man.

15. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    I'll repeat what most others have said - As a general rule, keep the glass! The camera is just a box to hold a lens and the latest digital box will be talked about as junk in a year or two by the saame people who just bought the "latest thing." A good lens remains a good lens forever.

OTOH, if I had a good lens that I never use because it doesn't fit my "style," then I would sell it without much concern.

16. Adobres

Adobres Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    okay, thanks, I felt that I should keep the camera and lens. Maybe by the time I can afford the OMD, a new PEN will come out anyways! oooh! :biggrin:

17. My current thought is to wait for the E-M5 internals to be stuffed inside the Pen bodies, which should be somewhat cheaper. Here's hoping Olympus sticks to their policy of segmenting their range by controls and features, not sensor and processor.

18. Adobres

Adobres Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    I guess the oooonly reason I would want to move to OMD is for the better images at higher ISO. I do take a lot of low light photos and I would love the faster shutter speed. But I guess we can't be too fussy. 1200 ISO isn't so bad on the EPM1 anyways. but would be nice to go higher!

19. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    That would be a colossal waste, and a huge downgrade. Enjoy your current setup, or if you want better image quality, just get yourself the Panasonic G3, which would only be a $200 upgrade, if you sell your E-PM1. Also, if you don't know if you should upgrade from the E-PM1 to the E-M5, then you shouldn't upgrade.

20. Adobres

Adobres Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    Yeah, for sure I will be keeping the lenses now :) but I have noticed the pics coming from the G3 are pretty amazing, I do notice the difference. can't quite place it, but the image quality does seem better. Is it just from having a better sensor?

maybe I'll think about the upgrade to the G3, don't get me wrong I'm really happy with the epm1, but thought, (it is my birthday today) I would treat myself to some kinda upgrade. So used to olys setup but maybe the panasonic would be a nice upgrade. Something to tthink about thanks!

• Like Like x 1