1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sell E-PM2 to buy E-M5 or not?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Braza, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Braza

Braza Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    Does it make sense to change the PM2 to OM-D E-M5?

I know, that they are using the same sensor and the IQ will remain the same.

But sometimes when using PM2 I lack controls and wheels and a good stabilizer. Flipping screen is not very important. But the lack of a viewfinder, too, sometimes frustrating.

On the side of PM2 is size and weight. The viewfinder can also be bought separately.

Who are some thoughts and tips on this? :)

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I have an E-PL5 and an E-M5. The EM-5 is a different camera in many ways to the E-PL5 (which is a similar beast to the E-PM2). The inbuilt EVF, slightly larger size (esp with the grip) and additional controls make the E-M5 into a more serious photographic machine - but as you say the IQ will not be any better if the photographer does his or her job properly.

Personally, I find having both to be a great combination. I use the E-PL5 as my everyday, go-anywhere kit with the E-M5 for when I'm on a more determined mission! Not too surprisingly I find many of my best shots are with the E-PL5 since it was the camera with me when the light and the moment were right. On the other hand, if I were forced to give up one of them, it would have to be the E-PL5.

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I sold my E-PL5 &VF2 to get an EM5. I wanted the 5 axes stabilization and it was a good call. I'm just not that steady shooting off the LCD and the PL5 was awkward with the VF2. The EM5 buttons are kinda mushy but overall it's a nice body.

4. Braza

Braza Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    So you're saying that even if I buy a VF2, then it's still a difference with OMD will be great and I do not have enough?

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It might be fine for you. I didn't like the VF2 stuck on the PL5 so I often left it home. I just saw too much motion blur in my shots shooting off the LCD screen in low light, in which I always seem to find myself. With the EM5, I had better IBIS and better shooting form (for me) with an eye level stance. If I didn't get the motion blur, I would still have the PL5.

I know some folks believe that you can shoot just as steady using the LCD. Not true for me. Yes, I know we didn't used to have IBIS. In those days we always used the SLR "cupping the lens" form and the cameras were a bit heavier and steadier.

6. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Braza,

I just bought a used OMD-EM5, selling my PL5. :) I have to have the 5 axis IBIS...of course the built viewfinder will be nice as well...

7. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    Both are good cameras, and I would say that wouldn't I as I have both. The e-m5 is my camera of choice and the e-pm2 is the one I slip in a pocket. The 5 axis stabilisation makes a real difference and as I shoot a lot of fungi, flowers etc the flip screen is a boon with the evf being great for macro shots of insects etc.

8. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I owned the PM2 with the VF-2. This was a great combination. I simply never was able to control it fast enough to have the settings I wanted for things that were happening in front of me. If I were taking portraits and had some setup time, then it was no problem but when things were happening faster, the controls always slowed me down.

Perhaps I am a ham fisted neanderthal. I will not argue with that and I am sure many will be able to say they can control the PM2 with ease. Not me.

Bottom line, I bit the bullet and purchased an EM-5 (which I had to return due to a defect) and then an EP-5 which just happened to be coming out when I needed the new body.

Both the EM-5 and E-P5 have really made me feel comfortable shooting. I feel like I have control over what I am doing without taking my eye off the shot. It has really proven beneficial for me.

The EP-5 (I forget about the EM-5) stabilizes the view for me also which makes long lenses easy to use and easy to verify focus. Even with a zoomed view. The PM2 did not have this feature.

The other thing I like is the EM-5 and VF-4 on the EP-5 ability for the view finder to detect your eye and switch from LCD to view finder when you pull the camera away from your head. Stopping to push the button on the VF-2 became an annoyance for me.

In summary,

the upgrade gets you

better stabilization
    Better controls
    better view finder controls

The faster shutter speed on the EP-5 and the dedicated HDR button are two additional features I like.

The upgrade was well worth it for me. I don't get as frustrated shooting when things are happening around me.

If you can swing the budget, do it.

9. Braza

Braza Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    And how about what to pick: E-M5 or E-P5?

10. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    This one was an easy pick for me, the e-m5 is *loads* cheaper!
    I'm sad to miss a few new features, but thrilled with my month-old e-m5. The biggest thing for me would have been adding the vf-4, but you can add that to any pen body.

11. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have an e-m5 and an e-pl5(in between e-m5 and e-pm2 but more like the e-pm2). I like them both, so I'm not trying to be negative about either, but they each have their own pros and cons. The e-m5 has better controls, build and stabilizer along with it's in-built evf, at the cost of being bigger physically and price-wise than the e-pl5, and mine does have some noise banding with my 14 & 20 sometimes. The e-pl5 can be made tiny when I remove the vf, but it doesn't have the dual settings dials, can't take a vertical grip, and if you want the vf, you have to remember to bring it along. But it's amazing how tiny it can be with no vf and a pancake lens.
    If no evf is what bothers you most, you can add a vf3 for a modest price and see if that helps enough. Otherwise you could try to swing an e-m5. You might also consider a Panasonic G5 which can often be found on clearance now, if the budget for an e-m5 is tight but you still want an in-built evf and more controls

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    E-M5 is cheaper (especially if you're OK with refurb or used) and the EVF is built in. If you wan the RF style body and don't mind the removable EVF then the E-P5 might be worth the extra $$$.