1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sell E-PL3 & buy GX1?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by skibinski, Mar 23, 2013.

1. skibinski

skibinski Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012
    Midwest
    I'm a little frustrated with the low-light performance of my E-PL3, even with the PL25. Shooting photos at bars, it jacks up the ISO to 4,000, and the results are pretty useless. I've read that the GX1 is better in low light.

Seems like I could get around $300 for the E-PL3 and buy the GX1 for about the same price. Given that there's no timeline for the GX2, would this be a good swap?

2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The GX1 will be noticeably but not dramatically better over the E-PL3 in low light. But the swap might be worth it, especially if you're trying hard to keep costs down. The GX1 is a fine camera. But a brand-new, current-generation Olympus E-PM2 or E-PL5 will be that much better still in low light. Again, not dramatically better than the GX1 but noticeably so. The improvements with each generation won't blow your socks off but they are there nonetheless.

3. skibinski

skibinski Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012
    Midwest
    Thanks, Biro. It seems to me that the GX1 is a better camera overall than the E-PL3, right? So if I can make an almost even trade, that would be a good idea, I'd think. I'm usually not a fan of buying "old" technology, but my guess is that if the GX2 ever does come out, it'll be $1,000, and I can't imagine the price of the GX1 dropping a whole lot more.

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yes, the Olympus and Panasonic micro four-thirds cameras have slightly stagged generations. The G3, GX1 and G5 are a bit newer than the E-P3, E-PL3 and E-PM1. So the Panasonics, with their newer 16mp sensor and newer image-processing engine, will do a bit better for you.

The Olympuses are held back a bit by their first-generation 12mp sensor - even though they are great cameras in every other way. But, mind you, the latest generation of Olympuses - the OM-D, the E-PL5 and E-PM2 - are newer still and have an even better Sony 16mp seanor. You can compare high-ISO results at this page:

Olympus PEN Lite / E-PL3 Review: Digital Photography Review

I don't know if my selections will hold, but the default camera is the E-PL3. I changed the other cameras to the GX1, the OM-D (to give you an idea of what you'd get from the latest Olys - they all have the same sensor) and the G3.

5. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Which lenses do you use? In my opinion, you can gain much more improvement by buying faster lenses than by switching from the E-PL3 to the GX1 or any other camera. I also think that the difference between those two cameras is too small in order to justify a switch. It would be better, if you got faster lenses (as already mentioned) or if you bought the E-PL5 instead. In my opinion, the difference between the E-PL5 and the E-PL3 is more significant than the difference between the GX1 and the E-PL3.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    He's using the PL25. Can't get much faster than that!!!

Another vote for the EPM2. It'll be better still than the GX1. If you can't get results that you want from an EPM2 + PL25, you ain't gonna get good results without adding light. (unless you get silly and go CV25/0.95, but that's only 1 stop faster).

The EPM2 is solid to ISO3200, and useable to 6400 with some post.

7. docfl

docfl New to Mu-43

Aug 15, 2012
    Florida
    Daniel Weingrad
    The EPL 5 is a bit ahead of GX1 and absolutely fun to use. Walk around with my Pany f1.7 20 mm (stabilization built into the camera) - light, fast and convenient with super results

8. skibinski

skibinski Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012
    Midwest
    Thanks, everyone. The GX1 came out to $254 on Amazon (I used my "pay with points" option). Seemed too cheap to pass up. Assuming I can get that back from the sale of the E-PL3, which seems likely, I'll be happy.

Well, kinda happy, insofar as I'm never really satisfied with anything. I'll probably be longing for the E-PL5 soon enough.

Now who wants a gently used E-PL3 for cheap? ;)

9. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    I'd say post some samples and maybe some of us can suggest some things to do differently? If your camera is at ISO4000 changing cameras to another camera and continuing to shoots at ISO4000 will still lead to noisy low detailed images. GX1 is better than the E-PL3 but it still isn't good at ISO4000. If you don't like the images out of your camera at ISO4000 why are you letting it jack the ISO up that high? I would first suggest limiting your ISO-Auto to a lower value that you find acceptable. IIRC out of the box the camera would jack the ISO at shutter speeds lower than 1/60s. With the PL25 and IBIS I would lower that value to at least 1/30s and get yourself another stop.

10. skibinski

skibinski Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012
    Midwest
    I'm definitely still an amateur, but when I have time to compose a photo using manual settings, I'm usually ok. But when I'm just trying to get photos at a bar (I'm a journalist for an entertainment magazine), I'll set it to P and I'm pretty unhappy with the results. My trip to Vegas last week was a good example of this. The PL25 was too big to stash in my jacket pocket, so I brought the 14mm 2.5 pancake lens. Big mistake.

Maybe I just set the max ISO to 3200 on the new camera ...

11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    My two cents:

12mp sensor = 800 max / 1600 in a pinch
    16mp Pan sensor = 1600 max / 3200 in a pinch
    16mp Oly/GH3 sensor = 3200 max / 6400 in a pinch

12. skibinski

skibinski Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012
    Midwest
    Here's an example of a crappy low light photo I took with the e-pl3 and pl25.

image-3650215621.

13. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    Looks like all of the EXIF data has been stripped. Curious what the exposure was.

14. skibinski

skibinski Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012
    Midwest
    Yeah, that came from photo stream via my iPhone. I'll upload actual photo from work. Thanks.

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    EXIF would help. The shot looks very underexposed then pushed. No reason for that for such a static shot.

16. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I agree with this assessment.

17. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    OP - upload the shot with EXIF data intact.

Something is wrong with your settings (or else camera) because that looks like a terrible shot in not so low light. My E-P1 with 20mm still amazes me in what I can capture with a steady hand in low light. And I almost never go above ISO 800.

Bottom line is that I really really really don't think a new camera is the answer to your problems here.

18. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have maxed my auto iso on my bodies to 640... everything is based on DxO testing and what is the highest possible ISO with out seen a whole lot of noise then gave it a little extra ... :):tongue:

19. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    Re: Sell E-PL3 & buy GX1?

Maybe my E-PM1 is rare and unique but I use it with ISO auto up to 1600 and I don't have any problem with it

Enviado desde mi GT-N7000 usando Tapatalk 2

20. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    +2