1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sell E-P2, upgrade to E-PL2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by CCRoo, Aug 31, 2011.

1. CCRoo

CCRoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    I can't spring for an E-P3 right now, having just spent a good deal of money on an E-P2 and VF-2 at full cost.

Given current sale prices, a proposition:

Sell E-P2 on eBay and buy a new, discounted E-PL2.

Would this be an upgrade? Pros Cons? Is this just a stupid idea?

- R

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Have you considered the E-PM1? It has almost all the internal upgrades of the E-P3, 5fps, new GUI, etc. for $499.

3. leica fan

leica fan New to Mu-43

Aug 7, 2010
    Southern California
  4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    From all of my reading, I've found countless threads stating that the E-PL2 is a welcome upgrade. Quick google search to find one such thread:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f42/ep-2-vs-epl-2-whats-your-thought-11179/

Depends on how much you can get for your E-P2, and how much you're getting the E-PL2 for. Given that the kit is currently $400, you can sell the 14-42 for $120 at least, so if you can sell your E-P2 for at least $300, you could upgrade for free.

5. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Similar situation myself, I keep seeing E-PL2s on eBay and it wouldn't cost me much at all to move up to it from E-P1. It still looks nice, has proper res screen and faster AF, surely for me there's no downside? Is AF still faster even with my mk1 kit lens and Panasonic 20mm??

Thanks.

6. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    E-PL2 is great - I'm sure the E-PL3 is also great, but double the price great? If you really need the faster focussing or like the idea of a touchscreen for shooting the '3' is the one for you, but if you really need neither, get the PL2.... the 20mm is still rather pedestrian on it, but it's pedestrian on everything, and that's not going to change until they give the lens an upgrade...

7. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    If I went to the E-PL2 is it worth getting the newer kit lens?

8. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I've never owned a14-42mm myself but by all accounts the Mk II is better. Not sure about optically better, but quieter and quicker focusing....

9. I can't really comment on the difference in IQ because I've never seriously used the MkI 14-42 that came with my E-P1, but my copy of the MkII really impressed me. The autofocus on the MkII is so much faster than the MkI it's not funny. I basically didn't use the MkI because of the autofocus.

10. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I don't think I'd sell the EP2 for an EPL2. You lose the thumb-wheel and the orientation sensor for small improvements in AF speed? Whereas the new line, whether you choose the feature set of the EP3 or EPL3, is a huge leap in performance over the earlier pens. Or even the EPM1 if you don't mind the completely different interface. And they all share basically the same sensor, so its really all about performance because the IQ isn't gonna be different enough to matter with any of them.

I'd either go for one of the new lineup or I'd sit tight until you can. Having tried both I personally loved the feel and operations of the EP3 (as I had the EP2 before it) but ultimately sold it in favor of the EPL3, which is also lacking the thumb wheel and orientations sensor but has the flip up rear screen, which I find nearly indispensable. But in performance, either are just a huge leap from what came before.

None of this matters much if you're mostly shooting landscapes or other static subjects, in which case I'd just keep the EP2 - its a wonderful camera other than operational speed. But if you're shooting stuff where the camera's responses matter, I'd go for one of the new ones or wait until you can...

-Ray

11. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    From my perspective,

I am coming from an E-P1. I decided to purchase an E-PL2 on a real good deal over at uniquephoto. While the E-P2 does have some things the E-P1 doesn't, the reason why I purchased the E-PL2 is as follows:

-Better grip for *me*. I run into handstrain issues when carrying around my E-P1. I love my Pen and its images, but sometimes handstrain creeps for my.

-Flash. I rarely need it, but the times I do, I wish I had it.

-Better screen

-Faster focusing with the MKII kit lens. My understanding is that from the E-P1 focusing was improved overall to the E-PL2

-Slightly more compact. The E-PL2 is a bit shorter than the E-P1.

Things I know I'll miss:

-Verticle thumbwheel of the E-P1

-Orientation sensor

I know I would have been happy with the E-PL3 if it had the grip the E-Pl2 has. While there will be aftermarket grips available, they just arn't as big as I need. The E-P3 offers a better grip and a larger grip option(yet to see for actual purchase).

I really, and I mean really thought about waiting to purchase an E-P3 when prices come down, but with the price of the E-PL2, I can buy another lens and still come under the asking price of the E-P3. For my own personal photography, I think getting another prime would benifit more than the faster focusing of the E-P3.