1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SelFies and SHoot THroughs

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Robert Watcher, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

Attended the 10'th wedding anniversary of our youngest daughter and her husband - last night. A section of the restaurant was cordoned off for the enjoyment of the 60 guests.

I was instructed not to be bothering those invited by shooting personalized videos or turning the evening into an obvious shoot - - - so I restrained myself by sitting quietly on my own and looking for different ways to shoot inconspicuously.

And so I found many people sitting beside me with the arms on the table or their laps - creating gaps that I could shoot through. As is the trend now, everyone was shooting a ton of "Selfies" with their iPhones and iPads. And so while the subjects were occupied looking at their arms outstretched camera (or if someone was shooting it for them) - - - I was sneaking my artistic, emotion packed shots without drawing attention to myself.

This small selection from the night were captured with my no-too-obvious Olympus Pen E-PL5 with 14-42 kit lens. The setting was not overly bright and so required all photos to be shot at 6400 ISO at 1/30'th to 1/50'th second wide open.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I like the series of shots in the above two posts by Robert Watcher, a technique I must try myself when the occasion demands. B/W definitely works for me.