1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Selfies 2.0?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Replytoken, May 1, 2015.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I recently returned from a trip to Hawaii (of which I will post some images and gear impressions in another thread when time permits) and upon my arrival, I was immediately struck (almost literally as well as figuratively) with the next fad related to everybody's favorite photograph style - selfies. It appears that significant numbers of tourists as well as convenience stores are now touting selfie sticks. Yes, the annoying sticks that I first encountered with GoPro cameras have now migrated to cell phones, and they have proved to be quite popular with many tourists I encountered throughout the islands. I suspect, however, that museum curators did not "get the memo" on their new found popularity as many museums have banned them. And given the way some folks wield them, I can certainly understand the ban.

While I personally do not have a problem with selfies, and have been know to hold my E-M1 (and previously my D300) out there for an occasional shot of me and my beloved, I do wonder how many of those folks who are now carrying these sticks initially chose to use their phones rather than a dedicated camera because of size or weight issues. It will be interesting to see how this trend plays out. Perhaps I should start marketing a line of "sticks" specifically designed for all of those D810's and D4's running around out there? Oh wait, that what assistants are for! :shakehead:

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I can see the appeal, at least on paper. I took 10 rolls of film on our honeymoon, but only managed 3-4 shots of the two of us thanks to the help of a stranger. Guess which 3 pics I still care about 15 years later? Hint: Not all the scenery pictures. I think people are definitely taking too many selfies, but it is certainly a problem that as photography enthusiasts we never have many memories of ourselves in the places we travel.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Pablo Picasso, Vincent Van Gogh, and Rembrandt van Rijn, Lee Friedlander and Vivian Maier all took a lot of selfies

• Like Like x 2
  4. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Yes. I was caught by surprise when in Istanbul by this as well. I decided to just use the bodycap fisheye for the few selfies I took, as they make it possible to get both scenery and my girlfriend and me into the picture.

• Like Like x 1
  5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    A side effect of museums banning selfie sticks is that monopods are also now being banned at many venues.

Barry

6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have no objection to a few selfies, or vacation snapshots as I used to call them, and specifically mentioned so in my OP, but the sticks are a whole other thing. It just seems so much easier to hand your camera to somebody and ask them to take a photo of you with your friends or family than it does to carry around a long stick while you are out and about all day.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, the one I have handled is person was telescoping... maybe 8" long collapsed.
    (this is not an endorsement of selfie sticks :p )

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  8. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I understand. I think selfie sticks are this seasons Rubiks cube or Pet Rock. They have certainly become a trend, and most will end up in buried in the closet.

• Like Like x 1
  9. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

I hope so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I find the EM1 and 12-40 work great for selfies...

EM196295-20140809-M.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    That was what I used on our trip, but I held the body in my left hand and had my right wrapped around my beloved (I am right-handed). Your photo looks a bit more balanced.

--Ken

12. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

One of the frequent traveler forums I post on has a raging debate going on over "selfie sticks" in the travel photography sub-forum. Consensus seems to be that it is primarily a younger, "me-generation" thing. The cell phone shooters think they are great and the real camera photographers tend to think they are narcissistic drivel and potential threats to the safety of nearby passers-by. Most of us who travel a lot have seen the darned things being waved around like a light saber by self-absorbed individuals who are completely unaware of those around them.

I don't really care if someone is so insecure that they must constantly take pictures of themselves, as one poster put it, to prove they were actually where they say they were. I do, however, feel that any venue that permits the use of "selfie sticks" should also permit the use of a tripod by those of us who use real cameras.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I was a bit surprised, amused and annoyed upon first seeing the sticks, but not enough to to engage in a raging debate (and posted this mostly for folks to have a chuckle or two). Like most things in life, I lean towards moderation. I suspect there is a fair amount of room between wanting a (selfie) shot for the proverbial scrapbook to look back on in the years to come, and engaging in narcissistic drivel. I openly admitted to shooting some selfies, or vacation snapshots as I used to call them, but I also asked folks to take a couple of shots of me with my wife. I enjoy looking at my "artistic" photos, but I also enjoy looking at a snapshot or two of me with my wife, especially as the years go by.

What I am still trying to understand is what folks do with all of those photos and videos from their trips when they shoot everything, and I mean everything. One woman shot photos of her food in a restaurant so refllexively it was a bit scary. And then their were folks who walked into the hotel lobby shooting video throughout the entire area before they even checked into their room. I am not trying to pass judgement on their photo habits, but I am curious as to how they use all of these photos. Do they try to recreate their entire vacation to show family and friends unable to travel? Do they take comfort that these photos live in the "cloud" and can be called upon when needed? It certainly is a different way of shooting, and it would be interesting to learn more about it.

--Ken

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. agnieszka

agnieszka Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Central Coast, NSW Australia
    Agnieszka
    "What I am still trying to understand is what folks do with all of those photos and videos from their trips when they shoot everything, and I mean everything."

They upload them to Facebook. And I mean: every. single. photo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  15. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Or Instagram. It is almost an obsession.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  16. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Been thinking of replacing my EPM2 with an EPL7 for the selfie aspects of it ;-)

17. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I suspect that the signal to noise ratio on FB keeps getting lower and lower. Who would bother to look at those photos? I suspect that a week trip could generate photos by the thousands if not curated. And if they were curating, they probably would not be taking so many photos in the first place. Oh well, if there is an audience, who am I to judge?

--Ken

18. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I am sure that Instagram has a purpose, jut not in my life. Too little time in my life as it is to be spent looking at this type of stuff.

--Ken

19. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Next year it'll be selfie drones. Throw it up. The drone keeps you in the frame. Voice actuated shot. Then returns straight to you.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    It's not just the selfie sticks. Both the Olympus E-PL7 and Panasonic GF7 have flippy screens that are designed for and marketed to the selfietographer.

More than half of DigitalRev's review of the GF7 are devoted to these same features: