Self-timer and focusing

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sprinke, Jan 13, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I have a GH2 but probably the other Panasonic bodies work in the same manner.

I'm looking for a way to "tell" the camera that when I set the self-timer, I want it to focus just before it takes the picture, not when I press the shutter. Useful for self-portraits.

There has to be a way to do this ... I used to be able to do it with my Panasonic Lumix FZ-35. Anybody know?

2. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Umm, didn't know such a feature exists. Will look closely at this thread for replies.

3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I've been stumped by this on Oly cameras too.

Have you tried setting it to C-AF (continuous AF)? I tried it on my E-P3 but can't tell if it worked or not...

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Interesting ... I dug up the manual for my FZ-35. Under the self-timer instructions, it says:

The manual for the GH2 does not mention anything like this. On the other hand, it says:

I guess maybe it's just not possible and I'll have to get a wireless remote shutter release. Huh.

5. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    you can use the focus lock option and fire away!

6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Not so much when you're trying to do a self-portrait ... ! Unless you set up something in your place to focus on while you're at the camera. Too much work! I ordered a wireless shutter remote for $20.

7. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Pls update us again. Thks

8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I believe you need face recognition turned on.

9. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Not sure what you mean. I have face recognition turned off, and my GH2 finds and focuses on people's faces just fine.

This is what my manual says about Face Recognition:

You have to register specific people in the camera for it to work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.