Self repairing E-M10.1

Lee Perrins

Mu-43 Regular
I bought an E-M10 when they were quite new. Along with the Lumix 20mm f1.7 it was my 'take it everywhere' camera for a long time. It's not had a particularly coddled existence, being generally chucked in a rucksack full of parenting stuff for years - wrapped in a spare bit of kids clothing on the organised days - but it soldiered on with nothing but cosmetic marks to show for it.

Two years ago the wi-fi packed up on it, and as I used it a fair bit I took the opportunity to replace it with an E-M1, which was a bargain. As I still only had the Lumix 20mm, the E-M10 sat in a cupboard doing not much for a while. However, during the past 12 months I've been messing about with other lenses (old, MF ones) a bit more, so I got the E-M10 out to put the Lumix back on it. And it didn't work. With fresh batteries, it did precisely nothing at all. No screen flicker. No little judder as it powered the lens. Nothing.

I didn't really need it, so I left it on my desk as a 'one day I'll take it apart and see what I can see' project. Yesterday was the day I decided to take it apart. I wasn't expecting there to be much wrong with it because it worked when it went in the cupboard but before I started peeling off the rubber parts, I gave it one last try. And it works again.

All I can think is that it was some software glitch in the RAM or something, and that being sat doing nothing with no battery in it has cleared it. Or does anyone else have another suggestion? I can't see anything in the manual about them being self-repairing!

Here it is looking very pleased with itself, albeit a bit dusty. I'd forgotten how tiny it is; compared to the E-M1 with battery grip and 50-200 I took this with, it's tiny! The wifi still doesn't work, by the way :-/
P5170291.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I have an old Oly E-520 (DSLR). It worked fine when I put it away in a box in the closet. After a few years I took it out to test the old 4/3 9-18 lens on it vs using the lens with an adapter on a m43 body. The camera no longer worked, and I mean badly broken - the mode dial was just all screwy with what you got when you turned it, and the camera was pretty much bricked.

In short, things can break just sitting there not being used at all. I suppose that then activating them (putting battery in, turning them on) is what really breaks them (like an incandescent light-bulb). With your camera it seems to be going back and forth between fixing and breaking. Kind of odd but you obviously could not trust it for anything except as a door-stop.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Completely charge the battery - then let it sit for an hour. Then put it back in the charger for about an hour.

Then, I'd suggest keeping the battery in the camera off for some time. There is a capacitor inside that is used to maintain the date and time, and some settings. If it runs completely down, that may cause the camera to refuse to turn on until it builds a minimum charge.

Putting a fully charged battery in should cause it to start charging.

After about an hour of that, take the lens off the camera and power it up... see if it does - it should.

I have a 2003 E-1 which still works as if it was new, a Canon 20d which powered up successfully after being stashed since 2008, after having its battery loaded for about 10 minutes... So unless something got in there to corrode the innards, I don't see how the camera sitting idle could just die off.

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
Some sort of internal battery that had run empty, perhaps?

This
Pretty much all current bodies have either an internal rechargeable battery or capacitor which powers the internal settings and RTC (clock)

Most likely draining the battery completely flat allowed the internal settings to clear and the original issue was due to corruption in the settings.

This can be duplicated by pulling the battery and letting the camera sit for a few weeks.

Lee Perrins

Mu-43 Regular
Most likely draining the battery completely flat allowed the internal settings to clear and the original issue was due to corruption in the settings.
This was my thought too - when I stored it originally it had a battery in (not deliberately, I just forgot to take it out) It was coming from that long lay off that it wouldn't work. I guess that battery could have been topping up the capacitor / internal battery.

When I realised it didn't work and left it on my desk for a few weeks, it had no battery in which presumably allowed everything to power down and re-set. It's been fine for two days now. I keep checking it still comes on, it's like having a new camera to play with :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom