Self-Portrait

CalebPhotographer

Mu-43 Regular
I recently discovered how unreasonably difficult it is to capture a self-portrait with a manual focus 100mm lens.

This was the one I was most satisfied with. I was just wondering how much the hair being clipped off at the top took away from the photo. I'd really like to get a solid self-portrait, so any advice on lighting, framing, etc. would be appreciated for next time I give it a go.

P6093895.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
agreed.

it's hard to get it spot on with a long manual focus lens, thank god/someone for digital!

experiment with lighting and the shadows your facial features cast with certain angles. (i'm sure better advice from more experienced members will follow :tongue:)

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Nice work Caleb. Nice to see you again.

Self portraits are really hard even without that focal length. If you had a big piece of something reflective you might be able to use it to cast a bit of light on your face from about 45 degrees from the front. That way it might eliminate the shadow near your eye.

Did you use the self timer?

CalebPhotographer

Mu-43 Regular
Nice work Caleb. Nice to see you again.

Self portraits are really hard even without that focal length. If you had a big piece of something reflective you might be able to use it to cast a bit of light on your face from about 45 degrees from the front. That way it might eliminate the shadow near your eye.

Did you use the self timer?

The shadow near my eye is just from exhaustion. I switch between working graveyard, morning, mid, and night shifts. For example today; I woke up at 9:30PM last night and have work at 3:00PM today.

I set the self timer at 12 seconds.

Unfortunately I've never been very strong with prefocusing. I'm sure if I learned the way 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. meters from the camera looked, I'd have an easier time.

Latest threads

Top Bottom