Self imposed cure for GAS

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dixeyk, Feb 3, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It seems like every three or four months I look in the cabinet and notice that I have a bunch of gear that I have collected and then I head off to the BUY/SELL forum here and on a few other sites and clear out the gear with the naive idea that it will stay that way. I am especially vulnerable to legacy glass (my version of crack). Then a few weeks after the clearance sale I notice I have a PayPal surplus and it starts all over again.

Part of it is that there is always something new and shiny that is waaay better than what I already have for whatever reason. Well, it's 2012 and in honor of the ending of the Mayan calendar (and fiery apocalypse according to some corners of the more "special" parts of the known universe) I've decided to try something. I recently acquired an E-PM1 as a gift. I like it well enough. Truth be told I think I prefer the G2 I just sold but rather than bundle it up and sell it try to get back the thing that I sold because it was better than what I have now...(see where this is going?) I am going to commit to make pictures with what I got. My E-PM1 is a perfectly serviceable camera. Is it IDEAL? no, but then again nothing ever is. So in that spirit I am committing to using what I have until it fall apart in my hands. I will learn to work around what out cannot do, exploit its strengths and find solutions to its weaknesses.
  2. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Making to through the introduction of the OM-D is going to be interesting. :eek:
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Amen, brother! That's the place I've hit, too. Another thing -- I've convinced myself to not move until I see a full frame compact. That should keep me stable for a couple of years, lol!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I prefer vaccination...

For me the most effective way to deal with GAS is to think about something really expensive that I'd like to have (ie, the Fuji X-Pro 1), then vaccinate myself against it by actually buying something far less expensive (ie, the new Oly and/or a Ricoh GXR) and then crowing to all about how much money I've saved! So I accept, self-inflict, a smaller amount of the disease to save myself from the more lethal version. Great approach, works almost every time. I recommend it!!!

• Like Like x 4
  5. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    Ray, lol, your approach is potentially dangerous.
    You can for example, build up 'subliminal super GAS overload' with that approach, and before you know it, succumb to purchasing the higher priced item :eek:

Use caution when applying your approach :biggrin:
  6. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Or maybe a whole lot longer!

Hmmm... this vaccine could also lead to changes in marital status for some of us.
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Ah, the old "Buy More, Save More" approach :D
  8. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    I just go with it, using only use my Paypal funds. So long as I only buy used stuff at a good price my account stays level. It's just basically swapping gear. But I almost never buy anything new/retail.
  9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Well, in business it's said that you have to spend money to make money. In our personal lives we don't make money - we spend it. So I figure you've gotta spend money to save money. And the more you spend, the more you can save! Or, uh, something like that...:wink:

10. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I follow a completely different approach. When I can afford it I buy the most advanced µ4/3 camera that is available so that I'm not tempted by newer models that are not top-of-the line and can look with disdain at them. Like some others, I started with µ4/3 with the idea that I'd keep my equipment lean and mean. I would not make the same mistake as with my previous Minolta and Nikon outfit containing a lot of lenses. And again I failed miserably :eek:, ending up with 60+ legacy lenses and counting :biggrin:. In my defence I can say that I don't even own half of the Panny lens line-up and no Oly native lens at all. GAS is really incurable. I have given up on fighting it and just give in. Fortunately, cameras per se do not incinerate my GAS, but lenses do all the more, from the very first day I was aware of their existence.
  11. lillefot

lillefot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 7, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    I'm suffering strongly from GAS too.

Downgrading from FF helped a bit, since mirrorless is cheaper.

The only other thing that sometimes has worked for me, is buying a new camera bag instead of a new camera or lens I'm wanting. Still a lot cheaper even if the prices on quality camera bags are relatively high, at least where I live.
  12. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Surely a contradiction in terms if ever there was one! :biggrin:
  13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Interesting how we all have creative approaches to our GAS problems (that was fun to write). I've tried the buy something like a bag approach and all that happened is that I have about seventeen bags. Surely a less spendy option but still crowds the closet. At least lenses are small.

ON the positive side I have always followed the item in/item out rule. If I but something then something's gotta get sold to pay for it. Money wise I am probably close to breaking even. I still have waaaay too many lenses and when I get right down to it I use maybe three or four of them at most.
  14. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    A more scientific approach to GAS

Try seeing your friendly therapist/psychiatrist in the neighborhood for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) as treatment for your GAS (more popularly known in the medical and psychological world as Compulsive Buying Disorder).

A randomized, controlled trial of group co... [J Clin Psychiatry. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

Cognitive behavioral therapy for compulsive b... [Behav Res Ther. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

But then again, you will be spending money for this therapy.

So goodluck on everyone's GAS.
  15. Nameer

Nameer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2012
    I like this idea, sounds like a good strategy. I will give it a go. Thanks dixeyk
  16. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Panlympus have done a good job of curing my GAS by not introducing any product that represents an upgrade. My next spend will likely be the fast zooms if they ever come.
  17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    You consider the weatherized MFT Olympus body & associated lens along with 16mp sensor to be a simple upgrade :confused:
  18. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Not if it's the same sensor as in my G3 - which is very likely.

...and it's not out yet.
  19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    You know very well that as long as Olympus uses Panasonic sensors, Olympus will never have the same generation sensor as Panasonic .