Selecting film for Rollei 35

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by quatchi, Apr 2, 2013.

1. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Hey,

from my father-in-law I got an old Rollei 35 (Made in Singapore version). My only film experience, however, is with a cheap Oly Point-and-Shoot back when I was a teenager (early 90s). Its only four years ago I started taking pictures other than vacation shots. :)

I am now intrigued to take the Rollei out for a walk around town. The problem is, I have no clue about what (35mm type) film I should buy. I would like to snap some black&white images - thats all I know. :) Some grainy (=ISO?) retro look would be fine too.

First I googled where to develop those films (I do not have space for chemicals, etc.) and figured, for a first step the local pharmacy should do fine. But then I read about different film types (b/w, monochrome), various brands (which require different development procedures?), cross processing and pushing and so on. Now I am confused... :)

Can someone enlighten a 'kid' of the digital area about the fascinating secrets of the good old film days?

Oh, and of corse answer the question, which film I should get. ;-)

2. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    If you're dropping off your film at a local pharmacy, they most likely will not be able to develop true Black and White film (only C41) - you will need to find a dedicated photo lab to do that. So that throws out classic B&W films like Kodak Tri-X or HP5. However, Kodak does produce a monochromatic film that can be processed by a drugstore color lab, called BW400CN, that I've gotten very good results out of. But I really encourage you to find a local film lab that can develop and print real B&W Film, and pick up a couple different rolls of film and try them out!

3. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Thanks for your reply! This means, a BW400CN film and the drug store will work for a first start?

I hear you about the local film lab and will probably end up in one or the other. First of all, however, I would like to test the camera whether it is still working probably or not.

Another side question specific to the Rollei: It has a battery powered light meter integrated into it. This light meter requires a quicksilver battery, which, besides being toxic, isn't sold any more. My idea was instead of finding a replacement (or mod for the camera) to use my iPhone for light metering. There are free apps which can display the exposure time for a given ISO and aperture for instance. Does that sound like it will do the trick? Or am I overlooking something in regard to film cameras?

4. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    off the top of my head, ILFORD makes a c41 processed b&w film, forgot exactly what it is called at the moment.

5. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Ilford XP1 was the first C41 (colour) processed B&W film but they are now on XP2super - not sure if these films will give you the "grain" you are looking for though.

They tend to have a much smoother image than the traditional 400 ASA film like Kodak Tri-X or Ilford HP5. Does have amazing latitude though so probably worth trying if you are not sure how accurate your meter is.

You could really old school and get a Weston Master Mk4 meter or similar.

6. dafloyd

dafloyd Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2013
    Munich, Germany
    Dirk Essl
    Look for a MR-9 Battery Adapter on ebay. It converts 1.5Volts to 1.35 Volts and adapts the fit.
    You can buy any b&w film and bring it to Foto Sauter, they will develop it. Just stay beyond ISO 400 or at ISO 400 as the 35 has 1/500 as fastest shutter speed. Some models even 1/125.
    I could also develop the film for you, if you just want to try out film.

Cheers,
    Dirk