Selecting film for Rollei 35

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by quatchi, Apr 2, 2013.

1. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Hey,

from my father-in-law I got an old Rollei 35 (Made in Singapore version). My only film experience, however, is with a cheap Oly Point-and-Shoot back when I was a teenager (early 90s). Its only four years ago I started taking pictures other than vacation shots. :) 

I am now intrigued to take the Rollei out for a walk around town. The problem is, I have no clue about what (35mm type) film I should buy. I would like to snap some black&white images - thats all I know. :)  Some grainy (=ISO?) retro look would be fine too.

First I googled where to develop those films (I do not have space for chemicals, etc.) and figured, for a first step the local pharmacy should do fine. But then I read about different film types (b/w, monochrome), various brands (which require different development procedures?), cross processing and pushing and so on. Now I am confused... :) 

Can someone enlighten a 'kid' of the digital area about the fascinating secrets of the good old film days?

Oh, and of corse answer the question, which film I should get. ;-)

2. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    If you're dropping off your film at a local pharmacy, they most likely will not be able to develop true Black and White film (only C41) - you will need to find a dedicated photo lab to do that. So that throws out classic B&W films like Kodak Tri-X or HP5. However, Kodak does produce a monochromatic film that can be processed by a drugstore color lab, called BW400CN, that I've gotten very good results out of. But I really encourage you to find a local film lab that can develop and print real B&W Film, and pick up a couple different rolls of film and try them out!

3. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Thanks for your reply! This means, a BW400CN film and the drug store will work for a first start?

I hear you about the local film lab and will probably end up in one or the other. First of all, however, I would like to test the camera whether it is still working probably or not.

Another side question specific to the Rollei: It has a battery powered light meter integrated into it. This light meter requires a quicksilver battery, which, besides being toxic, isn't sold any more. My idea was instead of finding a replacement (or mod for the camera) to use my iPhone for light metering. There are free apps which can display the exposure time for a given ISO and aperture for instance. Does that sound like it will do the trick? Or am I overlooking something in regard to film cameras?

4. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    off the top of my head, ILFORD makes a c41 processed b&w film, forgot exactly what it is called at the moment.

5. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Ilford XP1 was the first C41 (colour) processed B&W film but they are now on XP2super - not sure if these films will give you the "grain" you are looking for though.

They tend to have a much smoother image than the traditional 400 ASA film like Kodak Tri-X or Ilford HP5. Does have amazing latitude though so probably worth trying if you are not sure how accurate your meter is.

You could really old school and get a Weston Master Mk4 meter or similar.

6. dafloyd

dafloyd Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2013
    Munich, Germany
    Dirk Essl
    Look for a MR-9 Battery Adapter on ebay. It converts 1.5Volts to 1.35 Volts and adapts the fit.
    You can buy any b&w film and bring it to Foto Sauter, they will develop it. Just stay beyond ISO 400 or at ISO 400 as the 35 has 1/500 as fastest shutter speed. Some models even 1/125.
    I could also develop the film for you, if you just want to try out film.

Cheers,
    Dirk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.