1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Selecting custom focus points on the G9

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by panamike, Apr 24, 2019.

1. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    OK, i am thick and stupid its an age thing, i cant see how to choose my own focus point pattern, i have read the section many times and can get as far as custom setting, but i am missing something because i cant get any further, i want a center 2x3 box, please help me.

2. speedy

speedy Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 27, 2015
    Yeah sure. Go to the AF point/style menu, select custom multi, hit the up arrow for select/save, scroll sideways to C1, C2 or 3, hit down arrow, move the crosshair to whatever point you want, hit menu/set to select point, when finished, then hit Fn1 to save. Done

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mike G

Mike G Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    One of the beauties of a forum such as this one, is that one learns something new everyday! Thanks Speedy!

Mike, people keep telling me that age is just a number, but the damn number keeps going up!
    Stupid you ain’t, the G9 is a lovely complex camera and will take an awfully long time to get to know it with any degree of skill!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. speedy

Nov 27, 2015
    There's 2 things that annoy me with the custom AF point settings. The first, wherever you set your block/shape/cluster of AF points, they're stuck there. You can't then move them around the frame with the joystick/arrow keys, like you can with the central diamond pattern.
    And the other has to do with the central diamond pattern itself. If you resize it, the camera forgets your resize, as soon as it goes to sleep. I've tried saving it as a custom setting, still forgets it.
    That's the reason I set the control wheel surrounding the 4 way arrows to directly change AF point size. Still annoys me though.

5. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Does it not work the same as the G85. All I do is hit the button for AF mode, select custom multi and just tap the squares I want to use.

I tried it once but the pattern goes away as soon as you half press the shutter, so no idea how to use it for BIF etc.

6. panamike

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Going to have a go soon but that sounds like you haventsaved it.

7. panamike

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Go to the AF point/style menu
    I have been through the menu options but cant find this one :026:

8. panamike

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Forget my previous post got it sorted thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. speedy

Nov 27, 2015
    Fn1 button on the back of the camera. The one with the AF dots + pattern on it. As long as you haven't reassigned it to something else.

• Like Like x 1
  10. speedy

Nov 27, 2015
    Righto. I figured out how to get the camera to remember a block of focus points that you create, when it goes to sleep, and still be able to move that block around the screen with the joystick, or arrow keys. It sounds counter intuitive, but works.
    Hit Fn1 to access the AF point styles. Select the 225 point area. Resize it to suit. You can go right down to a single AF point, 3x3, 5x5, 7x7 etc. You can then move this block around the screen with the joystick, & the camera remembers your preset size, when it goes to sleep & wakes up again. The only thing it does, is re-centres it when it wakes up. Not the end of the world. Works in AFS & AFC

11. ToxicTabasco

ToxicTabasco Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 2, 2018
    South West USA
    The thing about the G9 is, there are many options for AF, and customizataon withing the AF system. Two main features of the G9 is the super fast and accurate AF with point to point or one area. And, the various Af tracking systems.

Factor in the plethora of customization and focus aids like Manual +AF, PiP, manual focus assist, focus peaking, and the little distance scale in the EVF and live view, and you're faced with a lot of options for customization.

However, each system and it's features within the system are designed for specific conditions. And each will perform well if used for the right application. And that's where skill and knowledge of what application to use each feature can be a challenge for those that only use one type of AF or AFC.

Thus, take the time to learn how each focus mode works. And take advantage of the super fast and accurate dfd AF by incorporating it into whatever style you shoot with. Advanced shooters know how and when to use zone focus, and when to use AFC tracking. With more customization for tracking focus, this can be a challenge. This is where you'll need to gain experience by trial and error to learn and know the limitations and advantages of each tracking feature of the G9.

A lot of people claim the phase detect AF of canon and sony are great. And they would be correct. But the G9 can be just as successful using it's dfd and tracking AF with similar outcomes. The only real world difference is the operator, and how well they can set up the G9 for success.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.