1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Seems that the EM5II has the same eyecup problem as the EM5I...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by letsgofishing, Feb 12, 2015.

1. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, Steve said that he lost his eyecup, it does like the same eyecup design. Oh, well. Doesn't everyone take extra batteries, SD cards, and, an extra eyecup? We do for extended outings.

• Like Like x 1
  3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The fix was to replace the eye cup with the one from the E-M10 wasn't it?

I'm surprised they didn't just replace it as standard...

• Like Like x 1
  4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    That is not a fix, we have lost at least 2 E-M10 eyecups.

5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Ah damn, that sucks...

I've had problems with the E-M1 eyecup rubber peeling off (On my... sort of third, I've glued the second back together the first was replaced by Olympus), however I'm yet to lose one.

6. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    The biggest PITA of my EM5 I can't keep them on for more than a few hours. After about ½doz @$12ea I gave up. I have a spare but am reluctant to put it on. One problem I've found, (besides the viewfinder being exposed), is that without the eyecup protecting it the diopter adjust wheel goes out of adjustment constantly. Here's the last eyecup that lasted for one 2hr walk. I happened to notice it before it disappeared so could tell what failed. It was ½ the little metal part that snaps on the viewfinder. see photo I'm about ready to use JB Weld.

[​IMG]

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The eyecups on the E-3 and E-5 were also prone to coming off. An easy fix was to drill a very small hole on the bottom right of the eyecup plastic part and then screw in a small screw used for eyeglass hinges. The eyecup never comes off with this fix.

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Seems sad. I have had my Canon for 5 years and still have the same eyecup. Never even sort of slipped off.

9. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I have had my E-M5 3 years now, without the eye cup coming off unintended even once. Perhaps its more a problem of how some handle their gear... Its a camera, not a hammer, handle with care?

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I agree, owning a Canon does seem sad. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  11. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Had the E-M5 for a year, and then the E-M1 for the following year. Zero eye cup problems myself as well. It never came off unless I physically took it off myself.

12. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    :thiagree:

Wot he said. I've never noticed the cups fall off either my E-M5 or E-M1, whether carried in bags or just suspended on straps.

13. pault

pault Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Never had a problem with eyecup coming off, in fact it is very difficult to remove

14. For all of the awesomeness of the E-M5, it has had perhaps more than it's fair share of design/material flaws.

15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Same here. When I bought it in 2012 I bought a couple of extra eyecups. The original one has never come off. :confused:

16. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    My eye cup has come off. The rubber around the eye cup has come up. I used a little super glue to fix these issue. I haven't notice has any problems since then *fingers crossed*

17. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Hrm, this actually sounds better than a small dab of superglue. I will have to try this with a new eye cup (mine is just broken to begin with).

18. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    If just one of the small corners has come off, it may still be possible to do the same trick with the screw. Just see if there's a spot where the screw can protrude enough through the eyecup so that it sits below the actual eyepiece on the camera and can lock it in.

19. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I'll have to give this a try. Thanks

20. Jesse_S

Jesse_S Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    I don't abuse my cameras, but neither do I baby them. They are tools to use, not museum pieces. It's a stupid design flaw and it's unfortunate they didn't' bother to fix it with the new camera.

The screw idea is good and probably works better, but you can fix it with a bit of gaffer tape (not duct tape, leaves too much residue). Haven't had it come off since (well, the rubber separated from the frame of the eyepiece, but I just glued it back on). Not as elegant as a screw, though.

Photo Feb 14, 3 19 36 PM.

• Like Like x 2