Seems that the EM5II has the same eyecup problem as the EM5I...

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
Yes, Steve said that he lost his eyecup, it does like the same eyecup design. Oh, well. Doesn't everyone take extra batteries, SD cards, and, an extra eyecup? We do for extended outings.

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
The fix was to replace the eye cup with the one from the E-M10 wasn't it?

I'm surprised they didn't just replace it as standard...

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
That is not a fix, we have lost at least 2 E-M10 eyecups.

Ah damn, that sucks...

I've had problems with the E-M1 eyecup rubber peeling off (On my... sort of third, I've glued the second back together the first was replaced by Olympus), however I'm yet to lose one.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The biggest PITA of my EM5 View attachment 408229 I can't keep them on for more than a few hours. After about ½doz @$12ea I gave up. I have a spare but am reluctant to put it on. One problem I've found, (besides the viewfinder being exposed), is that without the eyecup protecting it the diopter adjust wheel goes out of adjustment constantly. Here's the last eyecup that lasted for one 2hr walk. I happened to notice it before it disappeared so could tell what failed. It was ½ the little metal part that snaps on the viewfinder. see photo I'm about ready to use JB Weld.

eyecup_0003.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
The eyecups on the E-3 and E-5 were also prone to coming off. An easy fix was to drill a very small hole on the bottom right of the eyecup plastic part and then screw in a small screw used for eyeglass hinges. The eyecup never comes off with this fix.

janneman

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jan (John) Kusters
I have had my E-M5 3 years now, without the eye cup coming off unintended even once. Perhaps its more a problem of how some handle their gear... Its a camera, not a hammer, handle with care?

m43happy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have had my E-M5 3 years now, without the eye cup coming off unintended even once. Perhaps its more a problem of how some handle their gear... Its a camera, not a hammer, handle with care?

Had the E-M5 for a year, and then the E-M1 for the following year. Zero eye cup problems myself as well. It never came off unless I physically took it off myself.

Atom Ant

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Adam
Had the E-M5 for a year, and then the E-M1 for the following year. Zero eye cup problems myself as well. It never came off unless I physically took it off myself.
:thiagree:

Wot he said. I've never noticed the cups fall off either my E-M5 or E-M1, whether carried in bags or just suspended on straps.

pault

Mu-43 Regular
Never had a problem with eyecup coming off, in fact it is very difficult to remove

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro

Same here. When I bought it in 2012 I bought a couple of extra eyecups. The original one has never come off. :confused:

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My eye cup has come off. The rubber around the eye cup has come up. I used a little super glue to fix these issue. I haven't notice has any problems since then *fingers crossed*

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
The eyecups on the E-3 and E-5 were also prone to coming off. An easy fix was to drill a very small hole on the bottom right of the eyecup plastic part and then screw in a small screw used for eyeglass hinges. The eyecup never comes off with this fix.

Hrm, this actually sounds better than a small dab of superglue. I will have to try this with a new eye cup (mine is just broken to begin with).

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Hrm, this actually sounds better than a small dab of superglue. I will have to try this with a new eye cup (mine is just broken to begin with).

If just one of the small corners has come off, it may still be possible to do the same trick with the screw. Just see if there's a spot where the screw can protrude enough through the eyecup so that it sits below the actual eyepiece on the camera and can lock it in.

Jesse_S

Mu-43 Regular
I don't abuse my cameras, but neither do I baby them. They are tools to use, not museum pieces. It's a stupid design flaw and it's unfortunate they didn't' bother to fix it with the new camera.

The screw idea is good and probably works better, but you can fix it with a bit of gaffer tape (not duct tape, leaves too much residue). Haven't had it come off since (well, the rubber separated from the frame of the eyepiece, but I just glued it back on). Not as elegant as a screw, though.

Photo Feb 14, 3 19 36 PM.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom