Seems like an awful lot of talk about different systems lately

Have you decided to move away from M/43?

• Yes, getting out while my gear still has value

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Not getting out completely, but am expanding to hedge my bet

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • Still using M4/3 as my main gear, but want to try something else

Votes: 22 16.8%
  • As suggested, I've gone mad. FF is the only option for me!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not me, I will stick with M4/3 until someone pries it from my cold dead hands

Votes: 91 69.5%
  • My main kit is a different format, but I use M4/3 as my second system

Votes: 11 8.4%

• Total voters

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
From Buy and Sell to Open Discussion, it seems there are a larger than normal number of people using different systems, posting sales ads for house cleaning or sell off, talking about moving to another format, etc. There are threads about it, and again it seems more than usual. A lot of long-standing members are posting with new gear. Is it because of Olympus' sale? COVID boredom, or just boredom in general?

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
By lately, do you mean the last 8 years? Yes, I've noticed that too.

There's not a poll option for me. Currently happy in M4/3 and have actually been expanding my kit since the Olympus / JIP announcement.

But I'm open to other systems / technologies if and when they arouse an interest.

Last edited:
Real Name
Tom Remisoski
Brownie - for me, I will probably stick with M43 for a while yet but it seems like FF is where the innovation is heading. If I don't see significant innovation in the next year or two from Panasonic and Olympus, I will likely switch to something else.

mike3996

Mu-43 Veteran
The poll options don't really cover my use case where M4/3 serves as a great second system, well complementing my main system.

I am still thinking if I should expand my second system a bit further.

The Olympus news this year accelerated my planned purchase by about a year. With the uncertainty I evaluated all the options, but came back to get the E-M1.3. Having lenses already there was no way to replicate my kit without spending way too much (in my eyes) on my hobby. It will cover me for the next few years and then I'm sure I'll re-evaluate again.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
I see the term "investment" getting used a lot, but camera gear isn't an investment, even if you're a pro. At best, they are assets that depreciate, tools for the craft. Maybe someday some of them could become collector's items, but I don't think anyone is buying a M43 camera for that purpose here. If you're a collector, you likely put it on the shelf to not use it at all.

The way I see it, even if something broke in 2-3 years, the used market will still have replacements. Even today, you can find decent used copies of just about every M43 body made to date, like the EM1 or EM5, and they are cheap.

Every single time I have changed bodies or lenses over the years, it has cost me money. It's not that I can't afford doing so, but it's worth coming to terms with, IMO. I have always justified spending it for the sake of the hobby.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
By lately, do you mean the last 8 years? Yes, I've noticed that too.

There's not a poll option for me. Currently happy in M4/3 and have actually been expanding my kit since the Olympus / JIP announcement.

But I'm open to other systems / technologies if and when they arouse an interest.
No, the last few weeks.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
The poll options don't really cover my use case where M4/3 serves as a great second system, well complementing my main system.

I am still thinking if I should expand my second system a bit further.
Added it, good suggestion. As this is an M4/3 forum it didn't occur to me.

Real Name
Roddy
I'll stick with m4/3 for now, and see what new software comes out in the next few years. I have a couple of bodies i would like to try and quite a bit of glass still to discover before I get REALLY Bored :) But then I suspect there will be some software along soon that will make our 16 and 20MP images look just like a FF image - or least close enough that it will satisfy those who can't/won't move to FF in enthusiast mode, anyway :D.

AI will be taking humanity to Mars in 2030 or so, and long before then it will be making FF photographers of us all.

PS: I might also buy something different to try next spring. The GFX 50R is a real itch.....
PPS: we go back into lockdown tonight here in France, so I think my next purchase will be a P100-300. I have lots of windows and I'll be seeing plenty of birds at the bird-feeders soon.

Last edited:

iPete

Mu-43 Regular
I'm guilty of adding to this feeling - I've been very dormant on here until time came to explore my options. Dpreview feels very tribal and toxic, opinions are more grounded on here.

From my own research of what I want (not strictly what I need :whistling: ), other systems have caught up with some of the unique selling points of m43. I was drawn to m43 back in 2011 by the Panny 20mm and stayed later for the IBIS, downsizing from a large Canon system to the smallest thing I could get.

The choices available for small bodies with IBIS & larger sensors that offer lenses that are both large aperture and physically small have increased. I don't find the Pro range compelling, as good as they are, the RRPs are very high and they are comparatively large - also not helped by uncertainty around Olympus.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
PS: I might also buy something different to try next spring. The GFX 50R is a real itch.....
I just bought an older cheapie 12MP APS-C just to play with. It's fun, but an instant reminder of just how freaking big DSLRs are. Honestly, anyone who thinks a G9 is big need only visit a shop or friend and hold a DSLR. Mounting old telephoto glass to it is like assembling an anchor!

turbodieselvw

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm quitting and switching to medium format. I just need to get my 800 mm tele for birding and rope my 12 and 14 yr old neighbours kids out for an outing, i.e., pack mules for the big lens.

I am still happy with my MFT kit, it covers pretty much all of my needs and more or less only needs a longer telephoto to be more or less complete. I still enjoying taking my Pens out and using them. The kit is limited by my amateur knowledge and use much more rather than I feel limited by it. While I have considered a complete move to Fujifilm and thought about it a week or two after the Olympus announcement, I came to the conclusion the results wouldn't justify the cost, the trouble and the afford doing so.
With the whole equipment in excellent to very good condition, a foreseeable amount of new stock as well as a healthy and good 2nd hand market, I also don't really see any reason why I should be afraid not being able to use the kit in the next few years. All the reasons why I switched to Micro-Four-Thirds five years ago are still valid and that hasn't changed with any FF mirrorless solutions which have been released in the time being.

Having said that, I am still eyeing an X-Pro (2/3) with at least a 23/2 and 90/2 at one point or another, however considering the costs and the uncertainty of the current times we live in, I have postponed that idea until prices come down significantly or stumble across a great offering. I have also considered an X-Pro1, due to the fairly attractive price, however I am not sure if it's going to be a good choice.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
There's one option missing:
"Keep on using m4/3 gear at least for the next 3-5 years and see what my options then are."

Hopefully I can buy an E-M5IV some day but we'll see...

WT21

Super Moderator
I am staying w/M43, but understand I will most likely be forced out at some point, given the lack of investment. The Canon RP w/24-105 kit lens is on sale again. Could be considered tempting, but I don't see how it's practically different than my G85 w/PL12-60.

Real Name
Martin
Given my age (62 next birthday) and general health, M43 is the right kit for me for as long as I'm able to use it - and not being morbid, but no one knows how long I have left. I have diversified a little bit but into film again, with a Zero Image pinhole camera and the Voigtlander Perkeo - 35mm film doesn't really appeal currently.

If folk want to go FF, then do so and be happy, but in the end it should be about the image produced and not the system used to capture it.:)

andy darbyshire

Mu-43 Rookie
I shall stick with M43 due to age (82) as it is lighter and most photos I take are for hobby and enjoyment. 20 years ago I carried heavy Nikons with prime lenses, now I can hardly lift one. My cameras will probably outlive me, and sadly the second hand value is so low it is not worth selling them.

kit em10 mk2 em10 mk3 oly12-45pro, lumix12-60, oly 40-150R, oly 14-150 mk2

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom