1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Seeking tips on Shooting Videos with E-M5 (Mk1)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by KBeezie, Aug 9, 2016.

1. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I'm not really a video guy, it's not my forte but the request to least do small video clips does come up once in awhile and would like to use the system I'm already familiar with.

The audio of course on the E-M5 isn't the greatest for video, and for that reason I have a SEMA-1 adapter coming, which I'll probably use one my old existing flash brackets to mount a cheap rode video mic (demonstrations seem to be quite a bit more decent than either the built in or the lavalier). It's my understanding that the chip the E-M5 uses for audio isn't that great and as a result not much point in investing too much in a mic outside of something like that rode.

In regards to the video settings, I mainly just stick it on FullHD Fine (the mp4/*.mov extension 1080p setting). Depending on the scene I tend to either use Aperture priority or full manual exposure.

Wondering if there's any custom menu settings that can help improve the video quality in general particularly that weird jitter when panning.

I will most likely stick to manually focusing as it will either be wide angle of a scene/landscape, or the subject will most likely be stationary for the short clips.

It is also my understanding that the IBIS does not function in video mode, that instead it is sort of a software implementation of image stabalization. I plan on using a heavier tripod, or least a monopod with a ballhead, but not sure if having IS turned on will help more than it takes away from the video.

I don't use any zoom lens (see signature), and most of the primes are f/2.0 or faster. Will most likely use the Olympus 12/2.0 or 45/1.8 when needing autofocus or a lighter setup, or use the Pentax-M 50/1.4 (less Chromatic aberration, softer focus wide open) or the Rokinon 85/1.4 when I want it wide open and in a setup where manual focusing is more feasible (Both lens have very large smooth focus rings, but course the aperture ring does click, except if I use my twist adapter where I can wing it)

And as a final question. Suggestions on LED panels that I could possibly mount on a bracket for fill/etc, if I don't just use an assistant with a big reflector?

PS: I have tried the digital teleconverter, while the bump in 'reach' of the zoom seems nice on the fly, I can see the degradation of the video quality as a result.

Edit: Editing will most likely be done in Adobe Premier

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

IBIS does work in video, it's just that with early generation models you can't turn off the extra software stabilisation that video applies, leading to an even bigger crop factor. With latter models you have the option of IBIS+software, IBIS-only, or off.

As far as jello goes - just try to avoid fast motion... it's an artifact of bad rolling shutter, not much else you can do really. Panasonic are much better in this department.

3. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    What's confusing of course is the specs shown here : Specifications | OM-D | E-M5 | Olympus

Image stabilisation during movie recording Built-in (sensor shift-type image stabilisation), 1 mode (I.S.1 only)

Which implies it's strictly hardware IS being used for the video... however if it were then my view wouldn't automatically crop down like it does on my older E-P3.

Was hoping there was a setting but seems like that's something I have to plan for.

I did have a chance to borrow and play with a Panasonic GH4 which has much better video options and not only is the output nicer, but the manner in which you can hook a mic up is also nicer. Though I couldn't get used to the body/configuration and the on-camera display seemed worse than the Olympus (but it matters little when the output is what you want to be superior).

4. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    By the way a video I put together using DaVinci Resolve and four infrared clips I recorded with the E-M5 and a R72 Hoya filter over the summer.