1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

seeking photoshop help

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by unkabin, Mar 19, 2014.

1. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Hi all,

I'm hoping some generous photographer with more skill than myself can help me with a small photo fix. My wife recently won a fiction writing contest, The Iowa Fiction Award (which may not sound all that impressive, but the contest is run through the Iowa Writers Workshop, which is actually a pretty big deal among literary writers). Her book, The Lovers Set Down their Spoons, will be coming out this fall. The photo I'm attaching here is the one she wants for the book jacket. This will be very small, a couple inches tall, I imagine. It's not a great photo. I'm not a great photographer, and the light was terrible. I did all I could to lighten shadows on her face, but I cannot add coffee to her cup. She desperately wishes there were coffee in her cup, and will bemoan it every time she sees the back of her book. Unless . . . I can find someone to put some coffee in that cup. I did some bad spot removal to remove some dirty-ish looking foam that was in the cup, but again, the photo will be tiny, so I'm not too worried about my botched job.

If anyone can help, I would be very grateful. You have my permission and my gratitude if you want to give it a go. She keeps saying that she wishes it were 2/3 full, so basically a sliver of black coffee.

Thank you for any help!

13265198195_5e0665b4d7_c.

2. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    Something like this?

coffee_1.

I have taken the liberty to do some other things I would do as well;

coffee_2.

coffee_3.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Congrats on the contest! :2thumbs: FWIW, I think the last one posted helps improve the separation of her from the wallpaper (because BW, there is no color differential). Only small difference I would make is to bring back the highlights in the earrings (bring them to the same lumosity as the shirt) so they don't disappear. Now you just need to auction off a signed copy when it comes out!:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Thank you, Janneman, for the quick help! I showed my wife, and she loves it. And thanks, Cruzan80, for the opinion. I also like the darker background. I'd thought the wallpaper, though a nice feature, competed with Heather, but I hadn't thought to darken it. Thanks again.

5. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Janneman - nice developing!