Seeking opinions on Canon 135/2 vs native options and Canon 300/4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Roger.Cavanagh, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Roger.Cavanagh

Roger.Cavanagh Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 31, 2013
    London, UK
    Roger Cavanagh

My first post here, so hello everyone.

Background: I've had loads of DSLR gear over the years (my first was the original Canon D30), however, I have decided to focus solely on m43, currently, with the OM-D E-M5 (not sure what the official shorthand version should be :smile:). I have been eBaying all my Canon gear, but I'm wondering whether there would be any benefit in keeping a couple of lenses for use with an adapter:

EF 135mm f/2 L: this is my favourite Canon lens. It has fantastic image quality. It's not too heavy to put on the front of the M5. If I understand correctly, the lens would only work at f/2 and with MF, but walking around the IBIS would work. Nonethless I'm thinking the number of keepers would be badly affected. Also since the lens would only give an effective 270mm focal length, I could get the Oly or Pannie zooms. Optically, these, I'm sure, are much inferior, but in practice the results might make this a sensible option.

EF 300mm f/4 L: obviously for only tripod use; so the M5 IBIS of no value. The effective 600mm FL sounds attractive, but with MF only how realistic a proposition is getting a decent proportion of focus hits?

I'd appreciate any comments to help me make a decision.

Also as a final question: I have noticed people including their gear in their signature. Is this accepted practice for this forum?

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    Sell the EF gear and replace it with FD mount. The FD 300mm f4L seems to be a great piece of glass. I'm not sure if there is a manual focus 135 f2, but there are certainly excellent fast 135mm legacies. Or get the 35-100 panasonic and the 300. I think the sell of your 2 EF lenses would cover that ( $1500 ). There's a thread on the Tokina 300mm 2.8 around here, but that might be a little large.
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    The 135L can fetch enough money to get an Olympus 75mm 1.8. In fact, I've got an O75 for sale, and would consider getting a 135L, lol. If you were in the states, I might consider a trade!

The 300L reach could be replaced by the Panasonic 100-300, though the L will likely deliver better results on your Canon DSLR than the 100-300 will deliver on your OMD. As mentioned, there may be some legacy 300s that would be a good buy, and you'd pocket some cash, as long as you are OK with MF.
  4. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    If you love your 135mm, Olympus 75 would give you very similar fov provided that you used it on full frame.
  5. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I dont think ypu will have any problems using the 300mm F4 free hand, i´m using my FD 300mm on my OMD alot, and on my GH1 before that, without IBIS.
  6. Roger.Cavanagh

Roger.Cavanagh Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 31, 2013
    London, UK
    Roger Cavanagh
    Thanks for the input.

@juangrande: FD is a good idea. I never owned any Canon SLR gear that was not EF; so that never occurred to me. I am watching eBay for options. There was a 300/2.8 on offer. It might have been a little OTT; luckily it's gone, so the decision has been taken away from me. Found a very modestly-priced FD 135/2.8 that I can play with in the mean time -- ordered an adapter from Kiwi Photo on Amazon.

@WT21 and thomastaesu: I'm ahead of you on the O75. ?Got one last year in Hong Kong, when they were rarer than hen's teeth in the UK. Terrific lens!

@GRID: you must drink at lot less than me! ? But I fancy that a monopod might work, if a decent 300/4 comes up.

Thanks again, all your comments have helped a lot. I see that, at least, two of you have the P100-300. So I think I might use some of my sale revenue on that anyway. Even if I can find an FD 300, it's not something I'll carry when travelling abroad.

7. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    300s are no problem to hand held- I do it regularly - IS does help.. The MF (FD?) Canon 135 f2 is a gem - there is an image thread for it in this group.
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Heli-mech was selling an FD Canon 135mm/2 on this forum a very short while back, and for a reasonable price. :)