Seeking lighting advice

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by JamieW, Nov 15, 2013.

1. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Hi guys, I'm seeking a bit of advice.

I waited many years for Canon to create a radio controlled Speedlite system, and no sooner than they finally delivered, I switched to Olympus. Unfortunately, not before buying and falling in love with the new RT system. I've grown especially fond of E-TTL remote controlled flash systems and I'm looking to buy a 3 light system for the E-M1.

Reading over this write-up, it seems like if I'm going to stick with Olympus I need an FL-600R mounted on the camera to use as a commander if I want to stay with a faster flash sync (1/250). The FL-300R which I currently own only works in 1/60 if I'm reading this correctly, and the FL-50R cannot be used for 1/250 or as an RC master. I'm worried in outdoor situations, the included flash with the E-M1 won't be powerful enough to trigger the remote lights in bright sunlight if they're not very close to the camera.

I currently have several flashes I can trigger remotely using full manual and a remote trigger, but the appeal to me is the E-TTL RC system. If I have to go full manual, I'd just assume take my studio lighting and light meter with me. Are there any 3rd party systems I should consider with full E-TTL support for the E-M1 that might be more powerful than the Olympus system? Multi-group support is a must, and I have to be able to control the output of each group from the camera / on-camera flash.

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this.
  2. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    78 views so far and no replies. I'm guessing no one knows of a 3rd party TLL compatible flash system for Oly. Me either. :)

I decided to take baby steps and ordered a single FL-600R for now. I'll post the results after my shoot next week.
  3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
  4. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    I'm not aware of a full 3rd party option. I've been using manual flashes (YN-560ii) with cheapo radio triggers and it's worked just fine- but I've got no HSS. I have hopes that yongnuo will allow group firing and the ability to change power of groups from the camera with the 560-iii commander that has yet to be released, but again- no HSS.
  5. Saelee

Saelee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    Not the best looking system but it works. I came from the Nikon world and we had the Nikon CLS which is great but limiting. I can try to explain how this works but it would be much easier to watch the video on their website. It is a pretty genius idea.

I have this system and use it when I need to expand the range of the CLS.
  6. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Thanks for the link, but looking the page over it seems they may be dropping support for Olympus. It does mention Olympus in a couple of spots, but it doesn't list TTL support for Oly, and on the rest of the page anywhere they mention the brands they support Oly's not mentioned at all.
  7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Metz provides full wireless TTL support for Olympus. I've used the 58AF1 and 58AF2 flashes with the EM5. Now I use FL50r's. The FL50R syncs at 1/250 on camera with the EM1 (1/160 for the EM5) but I have yet to test it off camera yet. The 600r is the best commander i have used. I have a small "stofen' type diffuser on mine so I can use it pointing straight up. Outdoors I need to remove that though.

With either the Metz 58AF1 or FL50r the olympus system works about the same as the Nikon CLS system. Everything is controlled through the camera, not the master flash. You can mix manual and TTL and you can mix Metz and Olympus/Panasonic flashes as well. And you can use the FL600r or supplied mini flash as a fourth group on camera or using a TTL cord (use a Canon one).

Overall it's a pretty good system. just no radio yet.