Seeking Asset Management Advice for a Happy Home!

Real Name
Bob
My wife has an i5 laptop running Windows 10 and an android phone. She wants all her photos and videos to be available on both phone and laptop, simply, easily, without any fuss. Won't be doing any editing, just storage and asset management. Her first problem is: the laptop automatically sends photos (transferred from her Canon camera) to OneDrive, and the phone sends photos to Google Photos. I'm looking for a single service / software that can display her photos and videos on both the phone and the laptop without getting into anything complicated. Second problem is: she's out of space on both clouds, so now is probably a good time to consolidate into one service that can work seamlessly with both devices. I use a Mac and iPhone, so I'm kinda lost re: what's available for her needs. iCloud does this seamlessly for me with Mac and iPhone, though I prefer loading photos onto a Samsung T7 SSD that's dedicated to that purpose. But this is too "complicated" and unwieldy for her to even consider. An iPhone and Mac laptop would be the ultimate answer to create such simplicity, but sadly, we're not gonna go there. So.... Any thoughts about how we could accomplish this with Windows and Android would be greatly appreciated. We're not reluctant to spend a reasonable fee for cloud storage, but need something that will seamlessly interface with both devices. Can anyone help?

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
If she trusts Google with her stuff, then it should work for both Windows and Android. There is a Google Drive app for Windows that automatically syncs Drive to a folder on the Win10 HDD, so what’s in the cloud is also on the disk. I don’t use Google Drive in quite that way (i.e., for everything), but my limited usage of the syncing hasn’t been a problem for me so far.

edit: the app is Google Backup and Sync

Last edited:

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Well, I take it back. Backup and sync doesn't actually synch with Google Photos like it does with Google Drive. It just uploads a copy of image files in selected folders to Google Photos. If you delete the image on the PC, the independent copy on Google Photos is still there. So never mind.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
the laptop automatically sends photos (transferred from her Canon camera) to OneDrive, and the phone sends photos to Google Photos. I'm looking for a single service / software that can display her photos and videos on both the phone and the laptop without getting into anything complicated. Second problem is: she's out of space on both clouds, so now is probably a good time to consolidate into one service that can work seamlessly with both devices.
A few questions that might help us help you.

1) How much total space is she using now for this purpose?
2) Are you willing to pay for more space on a yearly basis, one time upgrade, or are you looking for a free solution? I assume she is using the free versions of OneDrive and Google Photos?
3) Is she ok with pulling photos up on her phone where they have to be downloaded to the phone to see the larger version (does her phone plan have unlimited data)?
4) I know how Google Photos works with the phone, but how is it setup with the laptap and OneDrive where the photos go to OneDrive automatically?

That said (well asked) some thoughts that come to mine.

One idea is if using OneDrive for free, you can subscribe for $100 a year for a family (2-6 people) or $70 for an individual. For individual you get 1TB of storage in OneDrive. For Family you get 6TB total. Plus with either that buys you all the Microsoft 365 stuff like Word, Excel, etc. And there is an app for Android for it that will auto sync photos to the OneDrive account. if you need things like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, etc. it isn't too bad of a deal. However if you only want to solve the photos and video consolidation that could be a bit pricey paying for stuff you don't want to use.

On the flipside, Google has "Google One" with different storage levels and price points per yet. I know this month they are permanently separating Google Drive from Google Photo. There is a Google One app for Android and it will back up photos and videos into google Drive. So like Microsoft's "365" you can get everything in one place I think. Google prices are a bit better in that if you don't need Terabytes, you can buy 100 and 200 gigabyte plans.

I bet Amazon has something like the above but I have not looked.

Another option but a bit of work for you on the technical side is setting up a home NAS cloud storage (personal cloud) that can be accessed from anywhere from any device. No experience with this myself so won't try to sell you on it since I am clueless, but it is an option without reoccurring subscription fees. Mostly a front end expense of some hardware.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I use pCloud, and it is pretty nice. You can do a one time "lifetime" purchase of your storage, too, so no monthly fees. They are all about privacy and security as well. Best part about pCloud (to me) is that it supports all platforms, from Windows and MacOS, to iOS, Android, and, yes, Linux! You can just sync the pictures folder locally, or set it up as a remote folder, where it only syncs what you actively use. You can use whatever image viewer you want to view the files. They have a free trial to test it out, but I love it, and I've never had a server issue.

As a Darktable user, I sync that folder to pCloud, and since Darktable uses sidecars, I can pick up where I left off on another PC with Darktable installed, as long as I sync that folder across both PCs.

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
One idea is if using OneDrive for free, you can subscribe for $100 a year for a family (2-6 people) or $70 for an individual.
The family package as I understand it is limited to 1TB per account/email address, not 6TB in one account to be shared as you wish. So to use all of the 6TB for yourself you would need to create six accounts to access it in 1TB blocks. Not a deal-breaker but something to consider.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The family package as I understand it is limited to 1TB per account/email address, not 6TB in one account to be shared as you wish.
Right, I should of been more clear on that. Family plan allows up to 6 people to be on it so up to 6TB total, 1TB per person, on the account. But I assume a single person could use up to 6 accounts with different log ins which could be useful if you like to keep things separated (work from home, personal photography from for hire photography or stock photography, etc.).

Real Name
Bob
Thanks to all for the advice, suggestions and sharing your experiences! Seems as if Google will probably be the simplest solution for her and not terribly expensive at 2.99/month for 200gb. That should give her ample storage for at least the next year or so. Downloading from Google to permanent external HD storage is relatively simple and I have a spare Samsung T5 SSD I can set up for her to handle that. Only difficulty seems to be getting the photos from OneDrive moved to GooglePhotos and figuring out how to change the Windows Photos app to sync to and look at Google rather than OneDrive. I really appreciate all your suggestions and comments! Thank you!

Real Name
Bob
@demiro ... just a quick note about the Amazon suggestion: Thank you for that! I am a Prime member and did look into using Amazon. But the Prime Photos product limits video content to 5gb. Anything beyond that requires a full-fledged Amazon Drive subscription, something I don't want to purchase.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom