Seeing lots of Panasonic 20mm lenses for sale...why?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by BillW, Mar 14, 2013.

1. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    Just thinking out loud why there seem to be SO many 20mm f1.7 lenses for sale?

Are people more fond of their zooms? Are they disappointed in the focal length?

I have a 50mm for my full-frame DSLR that doesn't get used much, but I do like it for the shallow depth of field, and speed at f1.8. Seems like the 20mm would fit the same bill. Perhaps the Pan/Leica 25 is better suited?

2. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    For me, I bought the 17/1.8 lens, therefore no longer need the 20/1.7.

I plan to sell it as soon as I go back home, so I can sell it with the box, instructions, etc etc that it originally came in.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I think there are 2 major reasons people switch from the 20/1.7

1) They want the old 'rangefinder' focal length - 35mm. The 20/1.7 is just a bit too narrow.
    2) They want a lens that focuses quickly. The 20/1.7 is one of the slowest focusing m4/3 lenses currently being sold.

That said, it's still the sharpest and the best value of the 17-25mm lens options.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Please don't take this the wrong way - I really don't mean to sound rude, but thinking like the engineer that I am, how would you know if there had actually been a real uptick in numbers of a particular thing for sale, unless you were monitoring them fairly carefully over a long time?

I'm reminded of the old chestnut about people mistaking anecdotes for data. I think it quite often (it's a professional hazard...!). Feel free to ignore me. :smile:

I'm quite prepared to be told I'm wrong - for example you might be someone who is always looking at for-sale ads here on, on ebay etc etc.

That's my thought.

OR, it's just a kind've fashion thing, now that the lens has been around a few years. I have only just bought one (a 20 that is), and so far I love it. Too soon to say if the I'll tire of shooting primes due to them being less "convenient" than zooms.

Brain dump over.

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'm sure its all about the new Olympus 17mm f1.8. Essentially as fast, much faster in terms of AF, snap focus ring for those who care, good if not amazing optics. I think the 20 was a really nice lens that people liked but were sort of putting up with as the system moved onto faster AF lenses, but until now there was no really good low light lens at a similar focal length - the 14 is a lot wider and the 25 is a fair amount longer. The 17 is a petty similar and very popular focal length in a lens that gets a lot of things right.

I had a 20 a while back and sold it - now I have the 17, which I greatly prefer. If I'd still had the 20 I'd have probably been one of the folks trying to sell it now...

• Like Like x 1
  6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I can think of three possibilities (in order of likelihood IMHO):
    1. The "trend" you've noticed is not a trend at all (as coffeecat noted)
    2. People who bought the O17/1.8 no longer want their P20 (as taz98spin noted)
    3. Now that [thread=42816]Bhupinder the Great and Powerful has decreed it[/thread], Panasonic will shortly be announcing the P20 mk. II. due to users who are "bored" with the current lens

I still love my P20, despite all the criticism that has seemingly been increasingly heaped on it around here.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. timg

timg Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2012
    I've only just bought the 20 1.7 and have to say I'm really pleased with it...

Yes, if it had been the same price as the 17 1.8 I'd have gone with the Oly for AF speed but as it stands the Oly is still twice the price I paid (UK) so I'll stick with the Panny for now...
  8. scott0487

scott0487 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    I just sold mine. In my case, I liked the lens very much, but I prefer the PL25 b/c I am much more comfortable with the 50 mm focal length, having had a single 50 mm lens growing up.
  9. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm still waiting for the price to drop sub $200 so a purchase will qualify for the cheapskate thread!
  10. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    It is probably because the P20 is the best selling :43: lens. The P20 is in 16th place in Amazon lens best sellers. There are more P20 lenses in the market then any other lens.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
  12. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Two reasons -- O17/1.8 and PL25/1.4. If I had the $ right now, I'd be selling my 20/1.7 to buy a 25/1.4 because I prefer the results from the 25. Not that the 20 is a bad lens -- far from it. It's a fantastic lens. But the 25 is better.
  13. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Well, let's assume there really is an increase in sales... at the highend, you have users who bought the 20 because there wasn't a fast 17 or 25, the lens they really wanted, so they made do and now are upgrading to the FL that they wanted all along. At the lowend, you probably have lots of people that bought the 20 because of all the internet hype (it still gets over-hyped in forums all over the place, especially to new users), then they realize that the shallower DoF and increase in sharpness doesn't make them better photographers and end up concluding that $400 is too much for them to keep tied up in a lens they rarely use.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I suppose my reason for selling is a little different. I have pre-ordered the X100S and decided I didn't really need/want any duplication in my lenses for other systems, so the 20mm was sold along with my EF mount Samyang 35mm f1.4.
  15. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Pricing on the P25/1.4 has also softened some, making it more attractive than it was maybe six months ago.
  16. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    I bought my 20mm f1.7 when it was the only choice for a fast prime in a "normal" focal length. I paid full price at the time ($399) and I have not regretted it. I preferred and worked with 35mm and 50mm lenses (in the 35mm film world), but I simply used my new 20mm a LOT, and I learned to work with its FOV. Now I am quite comfortable with it, and it focuses fast enough for my usages of it. I'm not selling mine.

17. blinkbg

blinkbg Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 19, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Hmmm interesting, I've seen image samples of the 20mm and they look great! I myself may not buy one because the 25mm suits my shooting style. I like to get up close to the subject, without getting too close and I think the 25mm allows that for me. Very helpful observation, I wonder if Panasonic WILL come out with an updated version. Still, it's nice to know that one has plenty of options to choose from to suit varying shooting styles and preferences.

It's all in the Pen!
  18. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    it's just been around and popular a long time so there's lots of them floating around. I think that's all. Sure some people might be switching to other lenses, but the large numbers sold and in circulation is the main reason you see them for sale IMHO.
  19. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Yes, if there are really that many out there, one would think the price would drop, so the more the merrier, then I'll get one.
  20. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    There you go talking about sample images! Whenever my girlfriend hangs here Pan 20 images next to either my Oly 17/2.8 or Sig 30/2.8 images they all look great!

You can take great images from all these lenses!