"Seeing" in B&W- with Nik Silver Efex 2 Pro

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by digitalandfilm, Sep 18, 2012.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    In every batch of images, there are always those that beg for a conversion to B&W.

Sometimes, you can actually *see* in B&W.. textures, contrasts, highlights, etc.

Here are a few comparison shots to compare:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I wonder if anyone here has tried Silver Shadows 2, it's a comprehensive bunch of presets from some photographer named Gary Seim for 54usd. At that price, I'm tempted to try that instead of the Nik software.

I personally hate exporting my files which creates another TIFF or PSD file. I haven't come across a good portrait retouching preset for LR4 -- LR4's brush just doesn't cut it for people with lots of pimples/blemishes. So I still use OnOne Perfect Portrait and FocalPoint. But if his presets can save me from dealing with yet another plugin software, I'd welcome that.

3. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    I checked out the website.. Silver Shadows 2 - Black & White Presets for Lightroom

They have a trial offer which may be good if you haven't already invested in NIK Silver EFEX 2.

Saves the back and forth between programs at the least.

• Like Like x 1
  4. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    Just watched the video.. very impressive!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MsJTq9LH6bo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    I think silver efex pro is way worth it. I use to convert photos to b&w the hard way with ps but silver efex pro does such a great job and gives you amazing creative control over your images. I do wish I didn't get a tiff out of it but I always save the color raw anyways.

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Nik's control points are incredibly intuitive, powerful tools once you get to grips with them. I tend to shoot black and white (the RAW is color anyway) in-camera to get a feel for whether the exposure is 'right' for a BW treatment if I think that's where I'm headed anyway. The 'ideal' exposure seems to differ a little for me.