1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

"Seeing" in B&W- with Nik Silver Efex 2 Pro

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by digitalandfilm, Sep 18, 2012.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    • Like Like x 4
  2. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I wonder if anyone here has tried Silver Shadows 2, it's a comprehensive bunch of presets from some photographer named Gary Seim for 54usd. At that price, I'm tempted to try that instead of the Nik software.

I personally hate exporting my files which creates another TIFF or PSD file. I haven't come across a good portrait retouching preset for LR4 -- LR4's brush just doesn't cut it for people with lots of pimples/blemishes. So I still use OnOne Perfect Portrait and FocalPoint. But if his presets can save me from dealing with yet another plugin software, I'd welcome that.

3. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    I checked out the website.. Silver Shadows 2 - Black & White Presets for Lightroom

They have a trial offer which may be good if you haven't already invested in NIK Silver EFEX 2.

Saves the back and forth between programs at the least.

• Like Like x 1
  4. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    Just watched the video.. very impressive!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MsJTq9LH6bo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    I think silver efex pro is way worth it. I use to convert photos to b&w the hard way with ps but silver efex pro does such a great job and gives you amazing creative control over your images. I do wish I didn't get a tiff out of it but I always save the color raw anyways.

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Nik's control points are incredibly intuitive, powerful tools once you get to grips with them. I tend to shoot black and white (the RAW is color anyway) in-camera to get a feel for whether the exposure is 'right' for a BW treatment if I think that's where I'm headed anyway. The 'ideal' exposure seems to differ a little for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.