Seeing Focus Point in Olympus Viewer Application

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by wndrful, Feb 9, 2015.

1. wndrful

wndrful New to Mu-43

Nov 25, 2012
    Trying to do some self-analysis to improve photo taking skills.
    I know that OM-D EM5 has ability to show focus points while reviewing pictures on rear LCD screen.
    Is it possible to see focus point on a picture taken in Olympus Viewer SW?
    I can see the properties and all exif and shooting information. Not seeing focus point for each photo.
    Is it possible to have it displayed in Olympus Viewer SW? If yes, then please help.
    Thanks.

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Unfortunately not (that I know of). It would a useful addition though.

3. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

No, but the information is in the RAW EXIF.

This is a screen shot of the PhotoME EXIF viewer program for a file where I let the camera pick the autofocus point. I don't know what the units are, but AF Areas apparently gives the location and extent of the autofocus area. The next parameter labeled ??? with 0, 0.5, and 0.7 values also varied among the files. Maybe you can decipher all this.

Edit - I didn't even notice the thumbnail image, which shows the focus point! Note that the camera did not focus on a bird as I intended.

The focus point information is quite interesting. Too bad it doesn't appear directly in Olympus Viewer 3.

This is the Debug Information section for a different image. It shows the calculated focus distance.

Brian

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    works for the E-M1 files as well. Thanks.

5. BradS

BradS Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2017
    Newcastle NSW
    Hi,

Also interested i seeing the four location on images when using computer. Anyone know what software will show this on a Mac. Olympus Viewer does not seem to show this info and PhotoME EXIF is not available for Mac.

Regards,

Brad

6. comment23

comment23 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    Haven't tried it myself but saw this thread recently. Maybe what you're after?

7. BradS

BradS Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2017
    Newcastle NSW
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

Hey, BradS — you da man!

I managed to delete EXIF Viewer, and I've been looking all over for it on the Internet, to no avail. Currently opening files in Graphic Converter, just to see the EXIF data.

9. looks interesting... (edit: except that it kinda goes against the grain of this thread in that it seems to be for LR only and that's what we're trying to avoid... oops... thought I was in the Adobe alternative thread... my bad!)... but... haven't tried it as a plug-in for something like Affinity Photo but if it worked there... :dance2:... has anyone tried this plugin on something other than LR yet?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017