1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

See and Feel the GH3!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Wasabi Bob, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I just learned that the GH3 will be shown at the Photo Plus show in NYC, Oct 25 - 27 (Thursday, Friday & Saturday) at the Jacob Javitz Center. I've attended this show in the past. Most of the major players are represented and it's a great place to get some intimate hands on with your favorite model (camera)! B&H will also be there with many show specials.

If you are fortunate enough to live nearby or will be in NYC, this is a great show.

• Like Like x 1
  2. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Toronto
    Exposure Show in Toronto

I've been in the Exposure Show here in Toronto with all major companies from 12 to 14 of October. I had a chance to see and feel GH3. I like the grip and its specks, but the overall weight and feel is just so DSLR. If you add battery grip and mount 12-35 lenses to it ... you would feel G5 is a toy in comparison.

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    From all I've seen its the same construction as the 12mm with the same type of manual focus clutch ring which has got to drive the price up a good bit. I'll be shocked if its less than $500 (assuming I'm right about the features) and wouldn't be at all surprised to see the price pretty close to the 12mm, which is, what, $800? Maybe $100 less or so because the optics in a 17mm must be easier to manage than in a 12, but I doubt its much less than that...

-Ray

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Forget the GH3....
    I want to see & feel the Lumix 150 ƒ2.8 :smile:

5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Oh sweetness, I will be in town. How much to get in? Anyone want to meet up? I'm thinking Saturday...

6. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    I'm curious as to what specifically Panasonic has chosen to do with the AA filter, and whether production cameras will in fact retain or hopefully even improve upon the acutance of the GH2. There have been vague inferences in Panasonic's press releases to an implementation that simultaneously increases clarity with stills while working for video. But it's vague rhetoric, so perhaps I'm reading into it what I want to hear!

If anyone has an opportunity to clarify anything on this, could you please do so and report back?

Bob, did you notice any change in this regard with your hands-on experience with the GH3 and the shots you took?

Big fan of your images, by the way!

TIA
    Brian

7. Wasabi Bob

I appreciate your comments Brian!

The sample I shot was an early sample, so I can't offer an accurate critique given the time I had that evening.

I'm attending the show, and I'll be happy to try and get you answers. I'm not 100% clear on what you are specifically talking about regarding the "AA" (anti-aliasing) filter?

I did have a small test chart with me that can cause most cameras to erupt into some nasty moire. The GH3 I had that night seemed much better than the G5 I took as my backup. Personally, I've never had any major issues with this so it was not on my radar.

I shot the G5 while I was in Hawaii in June and got some incredible shots. I'd have to say that I preferred it (for still photography) over the GH2.

I think we all have our own styles of shooting, so what might be a concern for one person may not be for someone else. I read the on line comments but try to not over react. I prefer forming my own conclusions. If I'm happy with it, that's my first concern. Under the right extreme conditions I feel that any camera can be made to show some sort of unwanted artifacts. No camera is perfect.

8. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    Praise is well-deserved. Your shots from NYC (Jay Maisel's address in the Village, I believe?) are in part what hooked me on HDR & stylized images.

Yes, by AA I mean the low-pass, or anti-aliasing filter (aka blur filter). To be clear, I don't mind moire, in fact I may perversely welcome it if it's an indicator of high sharpness. This is from Panasonic's GH3 web page:

"Moire suppression and high resolution
    Newly Designed Low-Pass Filter

New technology has also been applied to the low-pass filter on the surface of the Digital Live MOS Sensor. The new filter optimizes the conventionally conflicting effects of increasing resolution while suppressing moire. The unwanted data that leads to moire and false color is reduced while maintaining high resolution."

Seems like these two goals are conflicting - certain still shooters (me) want a high degree of perceived sharpness, but not all. I presume wedding photographers don't want to see color moire in fabrics, dresses, etc., as it costs them usable shots or excess post-processing. Video people also tend not to want to to see artifacts from repeating patterns, etc., so I'd think that a camera with a very weak (or no) low-pass filter may be a negative for vid pros (but this isn't my area, others will have better opinions).

The implication of Panasonic's statement for stills may be a low-pass filter that softens details less than their prior cameras . . . or may not, as the video market is obviously a very important target group to them.

A camera that produces fewer visible artifacts such as moire may actually have a heavier low-pass filter, where edge definition before software sharpening may appear less defined.

Probably a hard question to get knowledgeable information on at this stage.

I'm in the process of selling off my EM5, so I'll wait to see what develops. For me the real question will be whether the GH3 is clearly better than the G5 for stills, and in what ways.

Thanks,
    Brian

9. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben

I've had the same experience. Every time I open Lightroom, the hard drive starts to grind. My friend says I should take it in for service, but I think it's just the slowness of the product. Anyway, I'm hoping it's fixed in the next version.

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The post above has me totally confused. WHAT has the same construction as the 12mm, and what does that have to do with the GH3?

And what does LR have to do with either?

• Like Like x 1
  11. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    The GH2 already has a pretty weak AA filter. Much weaker, and hence showing much more detail, than any APS-C DSLR I've seen. Just look at the image comparator on DPR.

As for conflicting goals, yes. EOSHD reported visible Moire in video on the GH3, with what was admittedly a pre-production camera. I doubt the sensor assembly will change between Photokina and full production, but who knows. Interestingly, they said the GH2 doesn't produce Moire under the same circumstances, while the OM-D does. Another clue that it's the same Sony sensor as in the Oly?

12. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Sorry, my fault--I was married last year, and have recently learned to appreciate a good non sequitur.

13. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    "I shot the G5 while I was in Hawaii in June and got some incredible shots. I'd have to say that I preferred it (for still photography) over the GH2."

Hi
    Just interested as to why you preferred the G5 to the GH2 for stills - is this ergonomics or picture quality ?
    Regards
    Rob

14. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    The fact that the GH2 has a very weak AA filter is precisely why I'm using m43 cameras, along with the tote-ability, of course, and excellent lenses. But unlike some, I use the GH2 because of what I perceive as an IQ advantage over most other types of DSLR's. Whereas most people see it as a compromise, I don't so much. Sure there are some weak points, e.g. exposure range, but the format is getting there.

(A good friend with a 5DII gave me an opportunity to use her camera for a day, so I was able to shoot certain scenes I'd already shot with the GH2, and come away with Canon RAW files on my memory card. Very interesting experience, and I'm grateful to her for it . . . . but I digress. [Insert demonic grin here])

When I read EOSHD's comment about moire on the GH3, I was cautiously hopeful. But then I also read of critical remarks back to Panasonic to the effect that they needed to tone down the visibility of moire (my phrasing). I know that the video critics have Panasonic's ear, so it's possible they'll respond by making the output more palatable to them, but at the expense of detail capture for stills.

Given the vague, rhetorical nature of Panasonic's press release, it's impossible to know whether they're striving for even better detail capture compared to the GH2, or simply that they've made it "good" while optimizing for video use.

Brian

15. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    I agree with you about the IQ of the GH2.

As for the vague nature of the press release, I'll add a third possibility: it's all marketing hype.

16. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I just want to make clear that the AA filter does mot affect video. It is for photos. Video moire comes from the sensor downsample algorithms.

17. Wasabi Bob

Thank God I thought I was also loosing it!

18. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    Great point, thanks for clarifying that.

Brian

19. Wasabi Bob

Image quality was virtually identical (should be, same sensor) but the AF speed (especially PinPoint AF) was faster. Aside from AF speed, I personally think it's more accurate. In some situations I can manually focus a GH2 to be "slightly" sharper than its AF can. With G5, AF has been consistent with manually focusing. GH2 obviously has the edge for video, but I shoot very little video so it's not a big deal for me.

• Like Like x 1