1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

secondary m43 camera body

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by garethld, Oct 2, 2013.

1. garethld

garethld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Surrey
    Gareth
    i want to buy a cheaper, smaller, lighter m43 body as a secondary camera to go with my GX7. something deliberately less premium.
    so far i have narrowed it down to the GF6 and the E-PM2 or E-PL5.
    Any comments, thoughts, ideas?

Thanks

2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I have an E-PM1 as a second body, it works great. I bought it with the underwater housing deal. It is small and pocketable, which is great.

3. 少林chris

少林chris Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2013
    Los Angeles / Copenhagen
    Chris
    GX1 hands down. For around $200 USD, it makes a perfect secondary body for my OM-D.

4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    IMHO, either the E-PL5 or the GX1.

If you want to spend even less and it's really just an emergency backup body, I'd throw the E-PL2 into the mix as well.

5. garethld

garethld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Surrey
    Gareth
    The smallest body with the best sensor seems to be the e-pm2 but it has no pop up flash.... Also will i suffer any strange problems if I went for an oly body with all my premium pany lenses??

6. garethld

garethld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Surrey
    Gareth
    I've also been tempted by the GF3 but was worried it might be a bit outdated now...?

7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    No EVF? How about an articulating LCD? I won't buy a camera that doesn't have both.

1) I would recommend sticking with Panasonic rather than learning a completely different menu system. Actually, I strongly prefer shooting a pair of identical cameras.

2) I mix Panny and Oly lenses all the time and have never seen a problem.

3) My GX7 came yesterday. This morning I posted here to sell one of my G1s @ $105. So you might want to consider that. When GX7s start to appear on the used market and prices go down, I'll buy a second one and sell my second G1.

8. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I have a GX1 as my secondary body and really like it.

For that matter I have another GX1 as my primary body. ;)

9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yeah. That is the only way to do it if you expect to get into situations where you will be shooting both bodies at the same time.

If the second body is just a spare or is specialized for a purpose where you'll use it instead of the primary body then IMO it doesn't matter so much.

10. garethld

garethld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Surrey
    Gareth
    No EVF and articulating LCD is what keeps the size down and I want portability

11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Unfortunately, the problem with the two identical bodies approach is that, so far, neither Olympus nor Panasonic has come up with a body that has highly effective IBIS, and doesn't misbehave with the Panasonic 7-14mm and 20mm lenses that I consider to be the two indispensable optics in the entire system - I could maybe work around the 20mm if I needed to with an Oly 17mm or Sigma 19mm or Panasonic 25mm, but there is nothing else that gives me what the 7-14mm does.

It' possible, but seems doubtful at this point that the IBIS in the GX7 is really all that good, certainly it's not as good as the 5-axis Olympus bodies, and none of Olympus' new sensor bodies get along with those two Panasonic lenses. And since I use a lot of legacy lenses that are 50mm or longer, often much longer, and often hand-held, I need good IBIS for those.

So I've been forced to use one Olympus, one Panasonic body for my general shooting, to get everything I need out of my system. In theory, two identical bodies is a great idea - but every body in the system to date has at least one fundamental flaw - and the Olympus and Panasonic flaws are different, and actually rather complimentary.

12. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    The GX1 viewfinder is an add-on purchase and not required and it does not have an articulating LCD. The E-PL5 does have an articulating LCD.

The GX1 is bigger than the GF6 and E-PM2, and about the same size as the E-PL5 I believe (maybe a hair bigger).

It would handle more like a smaller GX7 with similar button placements and menus which may or may not be important to you but it would be for me to avoid learning multiple menu systems and different handling.

13. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    It's possible to make a flip-up LCD that adds little to the bulk of the camera, and Olympus has done that with the E-PL5, but once it's articulatable in all directions, which to me is what is needed to be a really useful feature, you end up with the bulk of a G5 or G6.

14. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I like the 14-42 MkII zoom on the GF6 or you could get it with the 45-150 as well. I just got that lens and can't believe it's small size and it's light weight, about the same as the older 14-42/45 zoom lenses.

15. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I would not buy a camera now that I can not either add an EVF or has one, the G3 is quite small with an EVF. Though I do have and use an Ep1 but that was a gift so... I can never decide if having two different or identical cameras is preferable, a GH and an OMd could compliment each other well but two the same is more instinctive.

16. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Well despite the fact it is outdated my GF3 still takes very nice shots, and is small enough with the 14mm to fit in a jacket pocket. Would a better sensor be nice, sure, but I rarely complain much. At the price the GX1 is going for is real tempting, and a excellent choice. My only real complaint about the GF3 is the jpeg output could offer a bit better(not sure if the later models fixed that). Plus the focus speed of the GF3(at least with the 14mm) is very fast, and almost comparable with some of the more modern models out now.

17. garethld

garethld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Surrey
    Gareth
    i shouldnt have sold my GX1... i've got a feeling i am about to buy one back!

18. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    The gf6 is one of the stupidest purchases anyone can make today. At least in the US.

It's essentially a cheaply built gx1 with less external controls, no hotshoe, worse grip,with added wifi and marginally better jpegs ooc (both cameras really need to be shot at RAW only as the jpeg engines are poor as well as the white balance) and is basically a dumbed down gx1 with the same sensor in a newer glossy shell.

And to top this off the gf6 (as the newer but definitely not better camera) costs roughly twice(!) what the gx1 sells for now. over 500$ vs. ~250$
    The mind boggles...

Anyway - if you want a nice secondary body I would get the gx1 as it's dirt cheap or the e-pl5 for the better sensor and tilt screen (though not as nice ergonomically).

I would disregard the e-pm2 completely. an ergonomical and menu driven nightmare.

Another option (though bulkier) is the g5 which sells very cheap today (360$ with 14-42 lens) and in my experience is much better than the gx1 in just about everything except size (once you have a lens attached it's less of an issue).

19. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    This is a quite good summary, IMHO of the logical choices that are available to the original poster and why.

20. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Glad to hear it's appreciated :)