Second Shooter turned Prime.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DoofClenas, Oct 13, 2014.

1. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I was asked by a friend earlier this summer to help as a second shooter for a weeding she was doing. I wouldn't be paid much, just enough to cover the few hours I was going to help out...that was fine by me, I was really just doing it to help out a friend, since I mostly just shoot landscapes or my family. The original intention was for me to head out where the guys were getting ready (a few miles from the church) and focus on them for about 30 minutes prior to them arriving at the church. When I spoke with my friend, she asked if I had a spare step stool that I could bring along so that we could set it up in the back corners of the church (to help get above the people in the pews)...Not a problem, I'll swing by on my way out to see the guys, and to check in with you before going on to their place.

I was ready, I had both my EM1 (with HLD7) and 4 batteries, along with my EPM2 and 3 batteries. I had intended to shoot mostly with the 12-40 for the procession, and then switch over to the 75 during the ceremony. I also had my FL-600 which I wasn't allowed to use during the ceremony (pastor rules), and my 7.5 and 25 (the 25 was mounted to the EPM2).

I arrived early at the church, only to find that just a few minutes prior to that, the main photographer just threw out her back. As she was being attended to on the floor, she looked up at me and asked if I was ready to be the prime. I think I nearly passed out...Luckily, she had the night before, a friend wanting to shadow/assist her with this wedding. She got to take over all of the main photographers gear (Canon 5d3 and a few lenses), and between the two of us we rocked out the whole wedding (reception and all).

The weather of course didn't cooperate (pouring rain), so most of everything had to be taken indoors, except a series of these shots to go along with the theme of the wedding...Baseball.

Moral of the story...always be prepared, as Murphy's Law will always prevail...in the end, despite pushing the EM1 to iso 6400 in a lot of instances, everything turned out better than expected, and all parties (bride/groom, and main photographer) were happy with the results.

Anyhow, I'll be doing this again in two weeks, hoping to just play the 2nd shooter role though ;-) For those that do this for a living, my hat's off to you!

EM141328-20141004-L.

• Like Like x 12
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Best Wedding shot ever.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Thanks! I had to hold an umbrella with one hand to keep the 75 relatively dry. Hard to tell from the photo, but it was really coming down. It was the perfect lens for what they wanted. This was at f1.8 ISO 800.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    How much of the main fee did you let the original photographer keep?
    ...I mean ... I'm assuming they passed all the money over to you, expecting some refund ... :D

• Like Like x 2
  5. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I took my normal fee and bartered a shoot with prints from the photographer...she's a really good friend of mine and needs the money more than I do. While the extra money would be nice, since I didn't have to edit any if my files I didn't feel that it was nessasary. I think she renegotiated her deal with the bride and groom as well. Since I know the bride's parents I was just glad to be there to help out.

• Like Like x 2
  6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    You are a really good friend and they are lucky to have had you there. As they say in baseball, "good save".

7. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    The money shot would have been a hard line drive right back to the pitcher about, oh, crotch high ...

8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I think that the real money shot would have been a line drive to the cameraman! :eek:

--Ken

P.S. Nice shot Clint. Many a photographer could do well with a friend like you in the wings.

9. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    You seem like a good friend. The money would be nice, and i'm sure it would help compensate for some of the responsibility burden (which i'm sure you felt), but in the end, you can't put a price tag on everything, especially friendship.

Nice shot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Great result, everything sounds well worked out.

• Like Like x 1