Second Olympus body or Fuji x100s

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Richella, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    So I recently moved from my big Nikon DSLR kit to an OMD and set of very suit primes. I've now been thinking about adding a second body but have been recently tempted by the new Fuji x100s, which looks very impressive.

I was inking about OMD as my system camera and the x100s as carry around.

What do you all think, E-PL5, fuji x100s or wait for the new Olympus E-P5?
  2. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    The X100S is a sweet camera by all reports. I use the (35mm FF) equivalent for about 90% of my photography and therefore it is definitely a camera I will watch for the future. The parts that appeal the most are the leaf shutter, built in ND filters and associated flash sync speed. Some of the results taken with the X100 are amazing from such a small package. To obtain similar results in M43 one would need to carry an FP flash and probably ND filters.

Good luck with your decision;it is not an easy one to make. The fuji is pricey for one focal length, but if that is your preferred FOV then it would be a wonderful addition to any kit.

Edit: looking at your lenses you already own, the cheaper body (EPL5) would be more cost effective option. Having said that to achieve X100S results of fill flash for daytime portraits, you would need to factor in the cost of a FP capable flash unit.
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm not going to tell anyone that they shouldn't try another brand, but to me all those fantastic prime lenses listed in your signature are just crying out for a second m4/3 body.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I'm also tempted by the x100s, it's very attractive in many ways.

However, I agree that you should probably just stay with MFT, given your lenses. Put the 17mm on the EPL5, and you have an arguably more versatile camera than x100s, and much cheaper.
  5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    You should always get a backup. I'd wait though, the upcoming E-P5 might be the body to get!
  6. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Make sure you try an X100 first.
  7. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    I too am waiting to see what the E-P5 has to offer before buying the X-100s!
  8. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Unless you really want a built in viewfinder and flash, I'd say to go with the E-PL 5 due to the lenses you already have.
  9. JIA333

JIA333 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    The Caribbean
    I had the Fujifilm X100 and it's a fantastic camera, sharp and beautiful. I didn't enjoy the focal length so I sold it.
  10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I vote for 2nd m4/3 body and x100s :biggrin:

I like the idea of having something in APS-C, in addition to my m4/3 kit, but as others said, you have too many great m4/3 lenses to not have a 2nd m4/3 body. I really love having both an E-PM2 with 12/2 and E-M5 with 25/1.4 in my bag. Also, the little PEN is super tiny with either 20/1.7 or 14/2.5 mounted.
  11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    APS-C to me is too close to M43. If you got the money, I'd get an RX1 to compliment your M43 gear! I see APS-C as a good stand alone sensor size, while M43 is a better compliment to FF/FX sized sensors! :biggrin::wink:
  12. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Sony RX 100 is a carry around pocket setup more than the fuji X100s
    Since the fuji not really a small camera compared to the sony

Ditto others wait see what this new mystery OLY is going to be soon ? It will be cool or prices for Pen will be down :)

I plan on getting a fuji but waiting for next gen pro model great cameras :)

I think the X100s would be a great camera though :)
  13. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I'm in the same position, and am very tempted by the Fuji. One factor that steers me toward a spare Oly body is that there would be a need to carry rond two sets of batteries and two (or more) chargers.
  14. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    I'm in a similar position, but with the money I would spend on an X100s, I could get a couple sweet lenses for m43 (which will last me forever with any new body I upgrade to down the line), or another body + lens for m43. Personally, I would rather have a little of both worlds for the same amount of money: A used X100 (great prices right now!), and either a new body or new lens for m43rds :)
  15. msatlas

msatlas Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Madison, WI
    My E-PL5 with P20 is small, but not really small enough for say, a jeans pocket. I have a Manfrotto Nano VII pouch that fits this combo, and I slip it into my messenger bag when carrying it, or otherwise a jacket pocket or my gf's purse if she's carrying a big one.

If those options sound good, then either the E-PL5 or X100s will be small enough. But for something to really take with you everywhere, I'd look at something like the Sony RX100, Canon S110, Fuji XF1 or Nikon P330.
  16. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    I like the x100s but I think it's too expensive for a "fixed lens camera", you can buy an OM-D or X-E1 for less money...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

ALMANST Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    ON, Canada
    If you want to get a fuji, I would recommend the X10 or 20 for a walk around camera.

It's smaller, offers more focal range, great IQ, and a little more than half the price of the X100S. Which leaves you with more lens money for the OMD. :biggrin:
  18. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I had an X100 for almost two years and loved it, and still miss it in many ways. I went to the OMD (w 17/45/75 1.8s) a few months ago because I wanted more focal lengths and better video.

The X100S is tempting me back. I've certainly been considering getting it to replace my OMD/17 combo that I use 90% of the time. Perhaps then I would swap the OMD for a cheaper PEN for use with 45 and 75 (and 14/2.5 I have somewhere).
  19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    The smart thing and responsible thing to do it to get a second mu43 body. Of, course, I'd get the X100s because I favor variety over good sense.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Ah, but the Fuji's APS-C, in my opinion, is only termed APS-C because of size. It is an altogether different beast of a sensor. :evilsmile: