Second model shoot: Jessica

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Newnan3, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Newnan3

Newnan3 Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2010
    Okay heres shots from my second model shoot and here are some of the initial edits. I have a feeling that I will receive some of the same criticism as the last model shoot......But nevertheless Critique and criticism are welcome.

This was my first time shooting outside so it took me awhile to get the exposure right.

1)
    P1030097.

2)
    P1030191.

3)
    P1030259.

4)
    P1030181.

Flickr link if anyone is interested.......Flickr: NAmpaipast's Photostream

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    These are certainly better....
    She looks more relaxed as you do also.
    For me the 2nd is the best image. In the others there are distractions around her head....
    The tree in # 3 & 4. The 1st works well also...actually, it works very well....there's a certain sexiness in the 1st that is enticing and draws you in...
    That's a complement not a bad thing.
    The 1st also has good shapes in it...hey, I mean the triangles created by her body and the contrasting shape of the wheel.......

on # 3 & 4 if you would have opened the lens to get a better BOKEH, it would read better but all in all...every one is good...

Keep going, you are building a rapport with her and that my friend is obvious....

3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I agree with StSh, and see a lot of progress.
    The first one is my favorite, feels like some 60s Playboy setup :biggrin:

C U,
    Rafael

4. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    #1 has probably best composition, but IMO not enough light onto her face and she should have turned her head slightly to be more face the camera as well
    #2 also good shot, but her head doesn't look fully comfortable and all very green... (and what is behind her?)
    #3 even more busy background (that doesn't add to picture), but natural head position (less posing). Her arm is missing, you "cut" her hair in unlogical way and also colors don't jump from the picture, but still I like this one most. Nice close up and more warm than #2 and #4 (despite more cloths)
    #4 my least favorite, her eyes are watching me, but a little too much...

Oh, I also looked at your previous session, this second session is significantly better.
    - What were your and her feelings?
    - What is goal? Face portrait or full body?

5. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    this is a much better set , i like it, she is still beautiful, and more at ease

6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Agree with the ^^^^ posters - a decided improvement.

7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    These are really nice.

I like the first one the best.

8. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The b&w on your Flikr page is real close also...
    She translates nice to 2 dimensions and that one shows that even better....
    Maybe you should post it here...
    Don

9. Newnan3

Newnan3 Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2010
    I appreciate everyones input.........The critiques help me alot!

Here's a few more.......C+C Welcomed!

Street here is the b/w I think you were talking about.....
    1)
    P1030170.

Heres a few more pics from the shoot #2 is the my most viewed flickr pic of the shoot. #3 is the second most viewed of the shoot.

2)
    P1030194.

3)
    P1030131AB.

10. Ephemeral Moment

Ephemeral Moment Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2010
    Darlington
    Hi

Just a thought but what post-processing have you done?

I feel a few of the pictures in your first post and the last two in the last post there could be improved dramatically by playing with levels as there doesn't seem to be a true black point in a few of them.

Subject matter is good :wink: but could be emphasised by a little tweak on the levels and probably contrast

11. Newnan3

Newnan3 Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2010

I tend to do several different edits of shots that I like.........These are the ones I liked the most.

Youre more than welcome to edit any of the pics if you'd like.......Id love to see another's photographers interpretation.:smile:

Heres a little bit more a contrasty edit
    P1030194F.

12. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason

As much as I like this, because it does pop, I seem to be draw away from her eyes. It appears her eyes are green or hazel, and this edit seems to draw away, at least for me, away from here eyes.

13. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Yessir, that's the one.... It's pretty good....
    I would suggest you pay very close attention to the background when doing the session.
    I won't get into the issues here on the thread but pm me or email and I'll explain...
    Don

• Like Like x 1
  14. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Me again, I am now hunting down your 1st and 2nd attempts to compare to your 4th (where is the 3rd lol).

Again I agree with Don, as a photographer you need to watch the backgrounds MORE than you need to get the lighting right in the first instance with these. The lighting in these is not that bad, a few highlights need cloning, but the backgrounds are more of an issue here.

I would say the next thing is to study the female form and try to direct even the most basic pose which will help the model and your shot.

Few problems with highlights on these shots would actually have been improved with makeup, so again, learn how makeup works on a model.

Basically to shoot models well, you have to think like one :) What looks good, how does posing and makeup improve a shot (do this from a models perspective, not from a Man's).

Keep it up though, looking at this one, your number 4 is an improvement...I wish when I started I would have had the nerve to ask for advice!...mine where terrible lol!

• Like Like x 1
  15. benjie

benjie Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    London
    To my eye all the shots are wonderful. You've got a great talent!

• Like Like x 1