Second hand OMD price.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Neon, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    Hello, What price do you knowledgeable guys think an OMD with kit lens is worth ? Seriously thinking of getting it but not sure if £850 is too much,they sell new here (UK) for £1,145. It has taken 1000 images.
    Any help would be welcome .
    Thanks .

2. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    If the offer includes kit lens that is a good price assuming it is mint and 1000 actuations. I would insist on the original purchase receipt as you will need this to get continuation of the Olympus 2 year warranty
    The purchase receipt is what Olympus will expect to see if you make a claim

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The problem I see is some early cameras had some glitches, you may save a few bucks but get a problem camera. Also technically the warranty is NOT transferable. If the original owner applied for any of the rebates, Oly has their name on file registered to that camera...even if you have the receipt they may not honour the warranty as you aren't the original registered owner.

4. broadway

broadway Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    It has been checked and Olympus will honour the warranty.

5. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Theres been a wide discussion about the warranty in the UK on another Oly forum and the guy who runs the lens rental business spoke to Olympus, they confirmed that as long as the receipt was present they didn't really mind.

£850 is probably a decent price for a used Body Only in the UK, they do seem to be few and far between for sale, not seen any with the lens as well it has to be said but considering they're going for about £200 themselves I would think folk are selling them separate if selling their OMD

6. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    Thanks very much for the help,I,m still thinking about it.

7. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Re The Warranty Situation. I have previously contacted Olympus and per the other comment here they stated that they would still honour the warranty with a new owner so long as the original receipt was presented.
    If you read the Olympus Warranty Terms I believe you will find that It does not state that it is non transferable and only that the original receipt needs to be presented.
    However readers please note that Panasonic Warranties do not seem to be transferable as the terms are written rather differently. (as far as I can tell )

8. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
  9. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I called Olympus USA a few months ago and asked about the transferability of their warranty. Sadly, I was given an emphatic NO. Still, when I buy/sell an Olympus product that's still under warranty, I always request/provide the original bill of sale. I figure we never know when we might need the warranty ... and sometimes fate smiles on us, so Olympus just might cover a repair. :biggrin:

10. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Just to qualify, the comments about it being fine to transfer refer exclusively to Olympus UK.

11. timg

timg Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2012
    Perhaps the situation is different in the US...

Not sure what the rules are on posting from other forums, but Ian who runs one of the other 43 forums has very close contacts with Olympus UK and they confirmed UK warranties were transferable "So long the camera is still within the warranty period and a proof of purchase from the original retailer is provided, the warranty will be honoured.

We only refuse second hand cameras where someone is trying to use their e-bay receipt or similar as proof of warranty when they bought the camera second hand."

Let me know if you want the link to the original thread.

12. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't know that any warranty from a major electronics company is transferable in the US, but lots of anecdotal evidence suggests that if you have the original receipt you are probably good to go.

I know first or second hand of that working with Sigma, Tamron and Canon. I'd be curious to know if anyone has experienced a rejection from Olympus or any other company. Any by rejection I don't mean you called and asked, I mean you tried to make a warranty claim and it was rejected because you were not the original purchaser.

13. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I have a printed amazon receipt for my OMD, with my friends name and address on it. My friend preordered the OMD, didnt want to wait, and got a panasonic. I got the camera new from him when it arrived.

My camera has been sent to olympus twice already, and i never had any problems.

14. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Wow. That's 25% drop... Do camera bodies really devaluate that fast? :eek:

15. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Um, I posted the WORLDWIDE warranty info, not the US. Now if the UK division is lax in that regard, that's your break.

16. Shade

Shade Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    Hmm thats funny, the warranty here extends normally without the need of the original receipt.

17. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Generally you don't need a receipt in the US. In fact, it can be a hinderance since if it was shipped or paid using a CC it'll bring up the question of why the name doesn't match yours. The only need for a receipt is to prove date of purchase and thus when the warranty began. Without that, the warranty period will begin on the date it was made. Many companies will pad that out to account for shipping and sitting on shelf time. So instead of giving 12 months, many will give 14 months from date of manufacturer. Unless the original owner registered it or it was previously repaired, the company will consider you the original owner.

There are companies that don't care. Apple for one couldn't care less.

Man you guys pay a lot for your OMD's in the UK.

18. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi. We pay a lot for everything here compared to the US From cameras to blue jeans !
    I think as a general rule we tend to pay in pounds what you pay for most things in dollars
    If you bear in mind the exchange rate you can appreciate how much we seem to be 'penalised' here and how much extra we pay for things
    It's a very sore and ongoing point with many people here as it seems that many companies are 'taking us for a ride'
    Still there are always advantages and disadvantages of living anywhere
    I still wouldnt want to live anywhere else
    Regards
    Rob

19. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    Didn't buy it after all. I,m after a Fuji X-pro1 instead if anyone has one lying around.

20. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    There now seems to be a steady trickle of Used OM-Ds coming through on eBay UK
    There are regularly 5 or 6 for sale at any one time
    The prices seem to be holding up quite well but a very useful saving for anyone looking to buy
    I would think that prices will start to decline a little in the near future with the number offered for sale steadily increasing at the moment