1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Second camera for gf, so we can share lenses

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by jlouisalmeida, Dec 11, 2014.

1. jlouisalmeida

jlouisalmeida Mu-43 Regular

Jul 7, 2014
    Currently I have an EM-5 and a few lenses and love it. I would love to get my girlfriend a m4/3 camera so that we can share equipment. What would people recommend?

Since the EM-5 is on the big side for m4/3, something smaller would be ideal.
    I don't currently own any lenses with OIS, so a body with IS would be great.
    The EM-5 video is lackluster, I have heard the Panasonic video is better, is this true?

So smaller size, in-body IS, and better video. What would people recommend? I havent had the good fortune of playing with any other m4/3 cameras.

Thank you!
    J

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    A big question would be whether she likes a viewfinder or not. My wife very much prefers framing with a VF, so models like the GF3 or GM1 don't work for her.

3. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    From watching her shoot she tends to not use the viewfinder a majority of the time.

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'd look at the Olympus EPM or EPL lines then.

5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    What does she like shooting ? What is the budget ? Is size a factor ?

6. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    She tends to shoot programs she works with children, mostly low action and portraits.

7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    You can get a GF3 for dirt cheap (we're talking under $100), I've always thought they were the perfect form factor for those looking for a very small camera. I rarely use mine anymore but I like that little thing too much to get rid of it.

8. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    Yeah, maybe the soap-bar Panasonics - good deals on GX1, GX7, GM1 floating around at the moment. Alternatively the GF3 or GF6 for something smaller & cheaper.

9. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    I would like to get her something new and nice. I've heard the GF3 is good but like I said in the first post I would like good video capability. It's looking like the Olympus EPL series is my best bet. She does social media for businesses so the built-in wifi would be great (tried the Eye-fi Mobi and I am not a fan)

Why does the Olympus site go E-PL5 to E-PL7? What happened to the 6?

Thanks!
    J

10. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    Tough call... Cant have all three tho :(

Panasonic GM1/GM5: super tiny, better video, but no ibis
    Panasonic GX7: better video, ibis (2 axis), but not small
    Olympus EPL7: ibis (3 axis), smaller then em5, but video not better
    Olympus EP5: ibis (5 axis), only a little smaller then em5, but video not better

Other things to note:
    GM1: no evf
    GM5/GX7: evf built in
    EPL7/EP5: evf sold as attachment
    GX7/GM1/GM5: silent shutter mode
    GX7: ibis does not work in video
    GM1/GM5: flash sync only 1/50 and no tilt screens
    GM5/EPL7: no built in flash, separate attachment

• Like Like x 2
  11. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    Japan only. It was a suped-up E-PL5.

They also skipped the '4' - bad luck # in Japan.

12. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    Same thing that happened to the 4.

Maybe some marketing genius decided that odd numbers sell better.

13. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    No 4 presents bad luck in Japan. They did release e-pl6, with minor improvements...

sent from my Xperia Z

• Like Like x 1
  14. killjed1987

killjed1987 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Bay City Laguna
    Jed
    Contrary to what other says that Oly's 2 axis IS body dont work. In practice, you can get to sharp image in low shutter speeds of 1/10 up to 1/6 of a second. Shooting discipline also matters. (Using a vf for example)

So a PM/PL series body might be right for her. Oly can also do video in a pinch. It's a tradeoff.

Ultimately, the decision will come to you or the gf, to choose what you two would feel like using when you handle the camera in person.

15. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Personally I'd suggest the E-M10 - nice small body, up to date tech - very cheap (£400 new in the UK), the only drawback is that you won't get better video.

16. Galengwath

Galengwath Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2013
    Well, my wife loves her E-M10 and uses it a lot in her classroom. She doesn't use the viewfinder much, but really appreciates the build quality and handling.

17. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I kind of having the same dilemma. Right now my wife is using the em10 for videos and stills. She's pretty happy with it, and not even interested in 4K video.

I am planning to buy another camera but have not decided which.

I might even consider LX100 or G7X for the portability and fast lens.

18. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I have the same "problem" also :)

I use a E-M5, and I now bought a GM1 and stick the 14/2.5 to it, quite appriciated! :) the 45/1.8 was also a good match. It should be light she thinks, unfortunately I have no pancake zoom, that could have been a good option also.

19. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

12-32 would have been perfect!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Engawa

Engawa Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2014
    I would suggest getting the new GF7 since you would also get the 12-32 kit lens.

It should have great video (1080/60p) and has a tilt screen which I find is great for taking pictures of kids since you can just lower the camera to their level.
    It is also very small.

I don't think IS is very important if you are going to be taking pictures of kids. You will need to use a fast shutter speed anyway and you wouldn't mount a long lens on the GF7.

If video isn't that important and you are willing to make sacrifices for in body IS, maybe you could get an EPL5 or 7.