Second camera for gf, so we can share lenses

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by jlouisalmeida, Dec 11, 2014.

1. jlouisalmeida

jlouisalmeida Mu-43 Regular

Jul 7, 2014
    Currently I have an EM-5 and a few lenses and love it. I would love to get my girlfriend a m4/3 camera so that we can share equipment. What would people recommend?

Since the EM-5 is on the big side for m4/3, something smaller would be ideal.
    I don't currently own any lenses with OIS, so a body with IS would be great.
    The EM-5 video is lackluster, I have heard the Panasonic video is better, is this true?

So smaller size, in-body IS, and better video. What would people recommend? I havent had the good fortune of playing with any other m4/3 cameras.

Thank you!
  2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    A big question would be whether she likes a viewfinder or not. My wife very much prefers framing with a VF, so models like the GF3 or GM1 don't work for her.
  3. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    From watching her shoot she tends to not use the viewfinder a majority of the time.
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I'd look at the Olympus EPM or EPL lines then.
  5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    What does she like shooting ? What is the budget ? Is size a factor ?
  6. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    She tends to shoot programs she works with children, mostly low action and portraits.
  7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    You can get a GF3 for dirt cheap (we're talking under $100), I've always thought they were the perfect form factor for those looking for a very small camera. I rarely use mine anymore but I like that little thing too much to get rid of it.
  8. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    Yeah, maybe the soap-bar Panasonics - good deals on GX1, GX7, GM1 floating around at the moment. Alternatively the GF3 or GF6 for something smaller & cheaper.
  9. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    I would like to get her something new and nice. I've heard the GF3 is good but like I said in the first post I would like good video capability. It's looking like the Olympus EPL series is my best bet. She does social media for businesses so the built-in wifi would be great (tried the Eye-fi Mobi and I am not a fan)

Why does the Olympus site go E-PL5 to E-PL7? What happened to the 6?

10. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    Tough call... Cant have all three tho :(

Panasonic GM1/GM5: super tiny, better video, but no ibis
    Panasonic GX7: better video, ibis (2 axis), but not small
    Olympus EPL7: ibis (3 axis), smaller then em5, but video not better
    Olympus EP5: ibis (5 axis), only a little smaller then em5, but video not better

Other things to note:
    GM1: no evf
    GM5/GX7: evf built in
    EPL7/EP5: evf sold as attachment
    GX7/GM1/GM5: silent shutter mode
    GX7: ibis does not work in video
    GM1/GM5: flash sync only 1/50 and no tilt screens
    GM5/EPL7: no built in flash, separate attachment
    • Like Like x 2
  11. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    Japan only. It was a suped-up E-PL5.

They also skipped the '4' - bad luck # in Japan.
  12. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Same thing that happened to the 4.

Maybe some marketing genius decided that odd numbers sell better.
  13. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    No 4 presents bad luck in Japan. They did release e-pl6, with minor improvements...

sent from my Xperia Z
    • Like Like x 1
  14. killjed1987

killjed1987 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Bay City Laguna
    Contrary to what other says that Oly's 2 axis IS body dont work. In practice, you can get to sharp image in low shutter speeds of 1/10 up to 1/6 of a second. Shooting discipline also matters. (Using a vf for example)

So a PM/PL series body might be right for her. Oly can also do video in a pinch. It's a tradeoff.

Ultimately, the decision will come to you or the gf, to choose what you two would feel like using when you handle the camera in person.
  15. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Personally I'd suggest the E-M10 - nice small body, up to date tech - very cheap (£400 new in the UK), the only drawback is that you won't get better video.
  16. Galengwath

Galengwath Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2013
    Well, my wife loves her E-M10 and uses it a lot in her classroom. She doesn't use the viewfinder much, but really appreciates the build quality and handling.
  17. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    I kind of having the same dilemma. Right now my wife is using the em10 for videos and stills. She's pretty happy with it, and not even interested in 4K video.

I am planning to buy another camera but have not decided which.

I might even consider LX100 or G7X for the portability and fast lens.
  18. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I have the same "problem" also :)

I use a E-M5, and I now bought a GM1 and stick the 14/2.5 to it, quite appriciated! :) the 45/1.8 was also a good match. It should be light she thinks, unfortunately I have no pancake zoom, that could have been a good option also.
  19. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

12-32 would have been perfect!
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Engawa

Engawa Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2014
    I would suggest getting the new GF7 since you would also get the 12-32 kit lens.

It should have great video (1080/60p) and has a tilt screen which I find is great for taking pictures of kids since you can just lower the camera to their level.
    It is also very small.

I don't think IS is very important if you are going to be taking pictures of kids. You will need to use a fast shutter speed anyway and you wouldn't mount a long lens on the GF7.

If video isn't that important and you are willing to make sacrifices for in body IS, maybe you could get an EPL5 or 7.