Second camera body

winx14

Mu-43 Regular
Are you supposed to carry both bodies the same time? Keep one lens on each? Bring one body out at a time?

What do you use your secondary camera body for?

addieleman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ad
My main camera is a GH2. I'm keeping my G1 as a backup camera and it is now semi-permanently mounted on a tripod in my little studio and that's very convenient.

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
Back in the day I had an OM4 with an OM1 as "backup". I usually carried both, loaded with the same film, with an 85mm on one, a 24mm on the other and a 35mm in the bag. I never really needed both cameras, but it was the fastest way to switch between my two favorite lenses.

I don't have a second body now, but if I were doing any pro shooting again I'd want one.

Fred

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Are you supposed to carry both bodies the same time? Keep one lens on each? Bring one body out at a time?

It depends on the assignment, but normally yes... one would be mounted with a telephoto lens and one with a wide angle or standard lens. It reduces the need to switch lenses quickly for on-the-fly moments.

For a more structured shoot then only the main camera would be used, while the second body would remain in the bag as a "backup". I wouldn't mount two lenses on two bodies if I were in the studio or doing a structured location shoot, unless both bodies were the same or identical in imaging capabilities (ie, like an E-5 and an E-PL2). In that case, then you might see me with one holding a headshot lens with the other holding a full-body lens for instance, if shooting models (like say a 50mm/1.4 and a 135mm/2.8).

Often the larger camera will have the telephoto while the smaller will have the wide(r) angle for better handling. For instance, in the early days of the Digital PEN I would often be carrying my E-3 with Zuiko 50-200mm SWD mounted and my E-P1 with Zuiko 14-54mmm mounted.

Markb

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mark
I used to carry two Leica M2s loaded with the same film on "serious" shooting days. Lenses were either 35 and 90 or 50 and 25 depending on where I was going, how I felt, phase of the moon, all that kind of stuff. This makes sense with primes. If you use zooms it may make less sense. A 14-42 kit zoom covers nearly all the range of my 3 lens rangefinder outfit (25/50/90) as long as I don't want speed.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Are you supposed to carry both bodies the same time?
Yes
Keep one lens on each?
Yes. Lenses depend on job being done. super-wide/wide, wide/normal, wide/telephoto, etc.
Bring one body out at a time?
Usually both out. Back in the Bad Old Days before I discovered sling straps I had the neck straps set so one body hung below the other, then both could flail separately as I moved.
These days making different lenses easily available. Long ago, sometimes color film in one and B&W in the other. The two bodies are always compatible if not identical, so dual-redundant sparing.

In addition to all the obvious advantages, with digital sensors you also have the advantage of less lens-changing and hence fewer chances for dirt to get onto the sensor. Film was nice because you got a fresh, dust-free sensor for every shot.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I keep the aperture preset at 60% of max and ISO at 400-500 on both combos when initially venturing out during daylight hours outdoors. As the ambient light decreases, I set aperture up one stop as needed and ISO up one step until dark. At that point, aperture is at max and ISO to at least 1600.
I like that! My non-system has been to leave the exposure to the mercy of the camera until a specific situation moved me to aperture or shutter priority. Your approach makes a lot more sense.

SamoyedPapa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I keep the aperture preset at 60% of max and ISO at 400-500 on both combos when initially venturing out during daylight hours outdoors. As the ambient light decreases, I set aperture up one stop as needed and ISO up one step until dark. At that point, aperture is at max and ISO to at least 1600. For indoors, aperture at 2.8 to start, 600-ish ISO. I like my lenses to be fast to avoid using a flash unit.

+2. This is what I do with my DSLRs, which lack Auto ISO. The Auto ISO feature on my E-P3 (maxed to 800) has spoilt me, but also allowed me to focus on other aspects of the picture taking process.

As I shoot almost exclusively with primes these days, I'm hankering for a second body to minimize lens swapping. The E-P2 body for $299 looks mighty tempting, but the E-PM1 for $200 more is also nice. What I really should be doing however is saving up for that 14-35 fast zoom.

winx14

Mu-43 Regular
Just got my GF3 in the mail. I didn't know if i wanted to keep it, but after reading this thread and seeing that curvy little thing, I decided to keep it.

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
There is no right answer. It all depends on your needs and the shooting situation. A pro covering an event has different requirements than a amateur out shooting (as an example) fall foliage. If you're shooting an event, taking the time to change lenses could cost you a great image. It's unlikely trees are going to move much while you change from a wide-angle to a tele on a single body.

OTOH, even if you're not a pro, if it's a once in a life opportunity, having two camera bodies with you is a good idea, just in case something goes wrong with one. For other situations, just having a spare at home is all you need.

Look at each situation individually, decide whether you need immediate access to two different lenses, and whether having a failure would be a deal-breaker vs. just annoying. Then decide whether you want to drag the weight of a second body around with you.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If possible, I get my wife to carry the second body! :)

phrenic

Mu-43 All-Pro
I travel with 2 camera bodies..allows the wife to use it (but this happens all too rarely).

More often I carry both on me (an E-P1 with a wide lens/prime and G1 with 14-45 or a telephoto). I like the flexibility it gives me if I need a shot quickly. I also usually carry a 3rd lens in a bag or pocket. Hey why not make use of the small size/weight of the system. I'm a slightly built 130lbs, but I don't mind carrying another camera if I think I'll get a few shots that are worth it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom