Second camera body

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by winx14, Oct 28, 2011.

1. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Are you supposed to carry both bodies the same time? Keep one lens on each? Bring one body out at a time?

What do you use your secondary camera body for?
  2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    My main camera is a GH2. I'm keeping my G1 as a backup camera and it is now semi-permanently mounted on a tripod in my little studio and that's very convenient.
  3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Back in the day I had an OM4 with an OM1 as "backup". I usually carried both, loaded with the same film, with an 85mm on one, a 24mm on the other and a 35mm in the bag. I never really needed both cameras, but it was the fastest way to switch between my two favorite lenses.

I don't have a second body now, but if I were doing any pro shooting again I'd want one.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It depends on the assignment, but normally yes... one would be mounted with a telephoto lens and one with a wide angle or standard lens. It reduces the need to switch lenses quickly for on-the-fly moments.

For a more structured shoot then only the main camera would be used, while the second body would remain in the bag as a "backup". I wouldn't mount two lenses on two bodies if I were in the studio or doing a structured location shoot, unless both bodies were the same or identical in imaging capabilities (ie, like an E-5 and an E-PL2). In that case, then you might see me with one holding a headshot lens with the other holding a full-body lens for instance, if shooting models (like say a 50mm/1.4 and a 135mm/2.8).

Often the larger camera will have the telephoto while the smaller will have the wide(r) angle for better handling. For instance, in the early days of the Digital PEN I would often be carrying my E-3 with Zuiko 50-200mm SWD mounted and my E-P1 with Zuiko 14-54mmm mounted.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I used to carry two Leica M2s loaded with the same film on "serious" shooting days. Lenses were either 35 and 90 or 50 and 25 depending on where I was going, how I felt, phase of the moon, all that kind of stuff. This makes sense with primes. If you use zooms it may make less sense. A 14-42 kit zoom covers nearly all the range of my 3 lens rangefinder outfit (25/50/90) as long as I don't want speed.
  6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Yes. Lenses depend on job being done. super-wide/wide, wide/normal, wide/telephoto, etc.
    Usually both out. Back in the Bad Old Days before I discovered sling straps I had the neck straps set so one body hung below the other, then both could flail separately as I moved.
    These days making different lenses easily available. Long ago, sometimes color film in one and B&W in the other. The two bodies are always compatible if not identical, so dual-redundant sparing.

In addition to all the obvious advantages, with digital sensors you also have the advantage of less lens-changing and hence fewer chances for dirt to get onto the sensor. Film was nice because you got a fresh, dust-free sensor for every shot.
  7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    I like that! My non-system has been to leave the exposure to the mercy of the camera until a specific situation moved me to aperture or shutter priority. Your approach makes a lot more sense.
  8. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    +2. This is what I do with my DSLRs, which lack Auto ISO. The Auto ISO feature on my E-P3 (maxed to 800) has spoilt me, but also allowed me to focus on other aspects of the picture taking process.

As I shoot almost exclusively with primes these days, I'm hankering for a second body to minimize lens swapping. The E-P2 body for $299 looks mighty tempting, but the E-PM1 for $200 more is also nice. What I really should be doing however is saving up for that 14-35 fast zoom.
  9. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Just got my GF3 in the mail. I didn't know if i wanted to keep it, but after reading this thread and seeing that curvy little thing, I decided to keep it.
  10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    There is no right answer. It all depends on your needs and the shooting situation. A pro covering an event has different requirements than a amateur out shooting (as an example) fall foliage. If you're shooting an event, taking the time to change lenses could cost you a great image. It's unlikely trees are going to move much while you change from a wide-angle to a tele on a single body.

OTOH, even if you're not a pro, if it's a once in a life opportunity, having two camera bodies with you is a good idea, just in case something goes wrong with one. For other situations, just having a spare at home is all you need.

Look at each situation individually, decide whether you need immediate access to two different lenses, and whether having a failure would be a deal-breaker vs. just annoying. Then decide whether you want to drag the weight of a second body around with you.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If possible, I get my wife to carry the second body! :)
  11. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I travel with 2 camera bodies..allows the wife to use it (but this happens all too rarely).

More often I carry both on me (an E-P1 with a wide lens/prime and G1 with 14-45 or a telephoto). I like the flexibility it gives me if I need a shot quickly. I also usually carry a 3rd lens in a bag or pocket. Hey why not make use of the small size/weight of the system. I'm a slightly built 130lbs, but I don't mind carrying another camera if I think I'll get a few shots that are worth it.