1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Second Camera Body or Moar Lenses?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by SilenX, Jul 26, 2013.

1. SilenX

SilenX Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    Matt
    With my interest in photography peaked and continuously growing I'm stuck with an issue - my G5 and me worrying about taking it into the elements. I often find myself wanting to snap pictures in some not so nice weather environments and don't want to ruin my G5 just because I had to have a shot.

But, I am also faced with the tough issue of lenses. I recently got the Oly 45 and am blown away with it, so glad I ended up taking the plunge on this lens. The images it produces are nothing short of stunning - but then again you all already knew that...

My reason for posting is I'm not quite sure which to do.

Buy a OM-D for portability and weather sealing, or buy a new lens instead?

If I bought a new lens it would most likely be one of the following:

- Panny 25 f/1.4
    - Oly 75 f/1.8
    - Oly 12 f/2.0

Now the Panny and Oly 12 are about the cost of a used OM-D body here on the forums but the 75 surpasses the OM-D body in cost. However, the images and image quality that the 75 produces may be worth the extra cost to me. I took the time to take my Panny 45-150 lens out and did some shooting with it set at 75 for a few days and find that I actually use this focal length quite often. This leads me to believe that purchasing the 75 wouldn't be a GAS trap like some have fallen prey to. (Then again this entire post could be interpreted as GAS. :rolleyes:)

For those of you that have two camera bodies, do you think it's worth it? When is it justified in your minds to have two?

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Hi there Matt, Congrats on your new lens :wink:

I am not sure what other lenses you have but as you recently got the 45mm f/1.8, I think it is not yet necessary to get the 75mm f/1.8. While the FL are not the same, both of them are going to be used for nearly identical purposes... Portrait shots. Also, the 45mm f/1.8 is more versatile, so if it's me I'll get one of the wider angles first. :smile:

As for dual bodies, if you are going to stick with primes then having dual bodies is a big plus and certainly makes shooting more enjoyable. That said, I only use two bodies when I go to festivals and or places where I think I will be shooting fast pace since I want one wide lens on one body and one long lens on the other body.

In general though, it's better to build your lens collection first. :smile: Of course all of these are just IMHO. :smile:

3. SilenX

SilenX Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    Matt
    Hey Steven,

Thanks for the tips! I just updated my signature to include my gear so people can reference that when I post. I thought I did that a while ago, oops.

I can't think of an instance where I've needed to shoot quick enough that I haven't had the chance to swap lenses but I do really enjoy primes and tend to stick with my primes when I decide to go shooting.

The wide angle is something I still don't have quite yet. But, I was considering the Panny 14 f/2.5 for my semi-wide angle lens instead of the more expensive Oly because I'm not sure the 2mm difference is worth it or not.

My lens collection is growing, that's for sure!

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Remember that for the best of weather sealing the lens should be weather sealed as well.

So get a lens.

I have two bodies and I feel it is well worth the investment. I grew up in the film-only days way way back when zooms were terribly slow and the zoom glass looked like it was cut from the bottoms of Coke bottles. So I shot primes with two bodies for the speed and flexibility of having a long lens on one camera and a wide lens on the other.

With zooms, I can get away with one body, with primes I like two.

It all depends on what you shoot. If you shoot landscapes, one body works pretty well. If you shoot moving stuff, especially in an uncontrolled environment, two bodies increases shooting speed, (no/less lens changes), which translates to less missed shots.

Gary

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The 14mm is a very good lens. It is sharp, tiny and inexpensive. The 14mm is a true wide angle not a "semi" or "wannabe" wide angle. But the 14mm FOV is very close to the 20mm and the 25mm's FOV is also very close to the 20mm. For both the 25mm and 14mm it is only a step or two forward or back difference between them and the 20mm.

Gary

6. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Ah I see, if you think one body is adequate at the moment then buy lenses fist :smile:

I think the 14mm f/2.5 makes a lot of sense specially if you think 14mm is already wide enough. Although your 14-42mm also goes down to 14mm f/3.5 already. So it might be redundant for you in the end unless you're just after the pancake form factor.

Let's just wait for others to chime in regarding your gear.

7. SilenX

SilenX Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    Matt
    I think you're right with the 20. I was fearful of getting rid of the 20 for its low light and wider focal length performance. The 20 seems to be a hybrid of the 14 ad 25 in one.

But, if I sell the 20 and "juggle the funds" into a 14 and 25 I would get a wider, more appropriate spread I believe.

But then the OM-D is a strong candidate too...

8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I think there are several possible reasons for having more than one camera body:
    • For speed when photographing events. No time to change lenses. In this case, the bodies should be identical.
    • For redundancy in situations, like travel, where it is not acceptable to stop taking pictures due to a single broken or stolen camera.
    • Where one or both are specialized tools. Example, the old Hasselblad SWC would not have been a primary/sole camera for very many people. Ditto, panoramic cameras are not first/only cameras. With digital I think specialized cameras happen much less often so this may be a semi-obsolete reason.
    • Camera-as-toy syndrome; wanting to have more than just one toy. In this case the cameras are different, not identical.
    Do you have any of these reasons? I don't know. For myself, it's been rare periods in my life where I haven't had one of them.

Re weather sealing, taking a camera "into the elements." I have never had a weather-sealed camera and have many times taken cameras into rain, fog, snow, etc. and never had one damaged. In really tough weather, like driving rain or taking a boat ride through a waterfall, you won't be able to keep your lens clear enough to photograph anyway. With a rain poncho, maybe a couple of large zip-loc bags, and some care, I think you will be all right in most situations. I always have been.

And what if you're not? I think your G5 is worth maybe half or less what an OM-D is worth. So keep it and take the risk. Worst case, you drown it and have to buy another. Or buy another right away and you have both speed and redundancy.

To me, a camera is nothing more than a tool for the photographer. Sometimes tools get broken during use and must be replaced. Not a big deal IMHO.

9. SilenX

SilenX Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    Matt
    Some great points here racer.

I think at this point the OM-D would be more of a GAS and possible event photography choice (but not mirroring redundancy in camera model).

I do know that the G5 is a rather robust camera but don't want to run the risk of being down a camera should the elements get to it. While it is a tool and is meant to be used I can't continue to do what I like to do without the main tool I need to do it! For that reason I may end up purchasing the OM-D.

Thanks for all the help so far guys I really appreciate it.

If anyone else has any other input I'm more than willing to listen.