second body

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by atlantic21, May 13, 2012.

1. atlantic21

atlantic21 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    UK
    Hi i am looking for advice on a second body. Olympus or Panasonic
    current equipment
    Panasonic G3
    Panasonic lenses 14-42,20,45-200,100-300
    I like to take pictures of scenery and wildlife
    many thanks Rich

2. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    If you are happy with the G3, why not another G3? It is nice to have identical bodies for seamlessness and consistency.

That said, what is your budget? The OM-D is an absolutely amazing camera and the G3 would make a nice second body to that.

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    +1

4. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Or a GF3 or an E-PM1 so you have something that can also be pocketable with your 20mm attached.

5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I have an Oly E-PM1 that makes an excellent second camera to my G3. If you must have more external control dials, then maybe the E-PL3. Personally, I don't find them necessary. But the E-PM1 makes for an excellent excuse to pick up the Panny 14mm f/2.5 pancake lens. The combination is the smallest micro four-thirds set-up you'll find. If you find the 14mm too expensive then try the Oly 17mm f/2.8.

There's also nothing wrong with a GF3, especially if you plan to use it in intelligent auto mode most of the time. Also... are you aware that GX1 bodies are going for $549 on Amazon.com (and possibly elsewhere) as of today? If you went that route, your second camera would literally be as good as your first, with a slightly different form factor. On the other hand, Amazon has new G3 bodies for $499 as of today.

Final thoughts: If you want pocketability in your second camera, there is no smaller option in micro four thirds than the E-PM1, particularly with the Panny 14mm on it. But you mentioned you like to shoot wildlife, which to me means a viewfinder is a good idea. You already have one built into your G3. If you want the other camera to be just as capable in this area, either another G3 or the OM-D makes sense. I'd also suggest a GX1 with the optional EVF, but together the cost is close to that of the OM-D.

6. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    GX1 body only? Would look really good with a 20mm on it.

7. atlantic21

atlantic21 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    UK
    Thanks for all the suggestions went with another G3
    Many thanks Rich

8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I can second the vote for the GX1, it is a superb camera that is a great upgrade from my previous 2yr old GF1 - if you are looking for a great performer in a small body with the same sized sensor as the OMD and costing nearly 2 thirds less then you cannot go wrong.