Second body to an EM5

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Rapscallion, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2013
    Hi all,

i have an em-5 with a few lenses (9-18,12-35,35-100,7.5mm,20mm,45mm).

I am looking for a smaller second body. What would you recommend?

My requirements are:-

• same or similar sensor to em5 to simplify PP
    • Same battery as em5, but i don't think this is possible
    • compact size.

I am leaning towards the epl5, but am not sure if there is anything else available?
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's a pretty tough set of requirements. The E-P5 seems to meet them on paper - same sensor, same BLN-1 battery, same 5-axis IBIS, and is a bit smaller.
  3. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    EPL5 would be good with same basic sensor etc, I was going to suggest getting a Panasonic something like a GX1 that can be had for a bargain price. If you like the Oly output though it does make life less complicated than trying to pull other files to that end point. I think the Ep5 has a better IS than the EPL though but it is a lot more for a second body.
  4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I don't think any camera fits all three of your requirements.

The E-PL5 and E-PM2 share the same sensor as the E-M5, and are the most compact m4/3 cameras made by Olympus. The E-P5 shares substantially the same sensor, same battery, but is not quite as compact as the other two.

For maximum compactness, nothing beats the newly announced Panasonic GM1, it has the latest 16MP sensor that performs at least on par with the E-M5 sensor, but has a completely different user interface...
  5. byegad

byegad Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2013
    EPL5 vote here too. A very capable camera.
  6. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2013
    I think i will be discounting the ep5 and the upcoming GM1 due to cost, much as i like them both..:frown: It's a shame since the ep5 would mean i would only have to carry one type of battery, which saves a lot of hassle when going on a trip, and i really like the look of the camera and the focus peeking.

I like the look of the epl5, but at £400 it is quite close to the cost of a used em5, which may be the most intelligent option...

Hmmmm decisions eh
  7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Any of the Olympus 16mp cameras will give similar/identical looking files. Owning a 12mp PEN and a GX1, I know that they don't. The E-PL5 is certainly smaller and lighter than the E-M5, but lacks the EVF and the controls are significantly different. I find the controls different enough that I generally don't mount one lens on the E-M5 and another on the E-PL5 and switch between cameras.
  8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    If you want smaller, then go all the way and get a refurbished EPM2.

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I have an E-M5 and an E-PL5. They complement each other well. Same sensor, same IQ. Pros of E-PL5 are that it's smaller. Cons of the E-PL5 are fewer controls (= harder/slower to use), poorer IBIS, no in-built EVF. If pocketability is not a concern, then go for a second, used E-M5. If it is a concern, then the E-PL5 is hard to beat.
  10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
  11. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    PL5 PM2 look like great alternatives. Is there anything besides the P5 that has the same battery?